Advanced Fieldcraft Guide

Eddie182

I have finnally finnished my 2nd fieldcraft guide. So here it is, hope you all find it useful.

ADVANCED_FIELDCRAFT.pdf

If anyone has any observations please feel free to post here or PM me. Also, I would like to know if you would like to see anything specific in my next guide, which is currently planned to cover ambushes and anything else you lot my want.

In case you haven't seen my first guide, it can be found here.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it looks like it was plucked directly from the soldiers pocket book or one of the other soldiertastic titles floating about.

I think there needs to be some more airsoft specific information in there and less talk of calling in artillary and air support.

Dont get me wrong the basic principles of attack and movement styles etc can be useful to airsofters but the writing style is aimed at soldiers in basic training, not the airsofting community.

EDIT: also, some of the terminology and drills are years out of date. I can tell you what could be updated if you like, but feel free to tell me to bugger off.

Darkchild

The manual was produced by a serving member of the RAF whose duties include the training of cadets and new recruits. Seeing how Eddie is responsible for the delivery of basic training, I think it's reasonable to expect that any materials on fieldcraft which he writes would be greatly influenced by his experience. As I am not a serving member of the armed forces I would not dream of commenting on how up to date the terminology employed by Eddie is, but I would imagine he would not employ out of date field-specific lexis, as it would only result in confusion. When Eddie returns from the gym I will be happy to direct him to your comments so that he can reply in earnest one way or the other. :)

If you have relevant military experience and believe you can contribute then please feel free to produce your own fieldcraft manual and submit it for the community's benefit. Until then I know all present will be grateful for Eddie's contributions, based as they are on his own experience of delivering training in the field as a serving member of the RAF. :)

in that guid it talks about parts of a section as gun group, scout group and rifle group, thats out of date, thats from when we had the L1A1 SLRs and 1 gpmg per section, it was based on bringing the gun to best effect afainst the enemy,

now sections are made up of 2 4 man fire teams both with 3 riflemen and 1lsw.

i dont clame to have vast military experience but im a lance jack in the ACF and we are always tough with fire teams

it looks like it was plucked directly from the soldiers pocket book or one of the other soldiertastic titles floating about.

I think there needs to be some more airsoft specific information in there and less talk of calling in artillary and air support.

Dont get me wrong the basic principles of attack and movement styles etc can be useful to airsofters but the writing style is aimed at soldiers in basic training, not the airsofting community.

EDIT: also, some of the terminology and drills are years out of date.  I can tell you what could be updated if you like, but feel free to tell me to bugger off.

Darkchild

Hmmm, thankyou for your constructive comments.

Was the information taken from publications, well of course it was. Given that fieldcraft is written in black and white in the PAM. And much like everyone, I'm not stupid enough to think that I would remember every little detail, so as such I write down what I can remeber and then fill in the gaps by reading some of the many referance documents I've got lying around.

As for the drills and term that are years out of date, please, list them. I have no doubt that some terms have indeed been replaced, after all I'm not an infanteer and as such don't claim to be at the highest level of currency when it comes to this sort of thing. All I can say is, it still works so who cares if a few things have been ammended.

And as for airsoft specific information, well this guide isn't solely for airsofters, I also use them as hand outs for cadets. And call me insane, but I also believe the average airsofter has the intelligence to read through the guide and pick out the points that apply to them and ignore those that don't.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but I can't help that. I post these guide as many people have told me they find them useful, if you feel differently don't read it, it's that simple.

in that guid it talks about parts of a section as gun group, scout group and rifle group, thats out of date, thats from when we had the L1A1 SLRs and 1 gpmg per section, it was based on bringing the gun to best effect afainst the enemy,

now sections are made up of 2 4 man fire teams both with 3 riflemen and 1lsw.

i dont clame to have vast military experience but im a lance jack in the ACF and we are always tough with fire teams

It refers to flight level stuff mate, not section level. While i have never worked with scout groups etc, I'm infomed by the RAF Regt that it is still current. And just so you know, sections are made up of 2 fire teams with 1 rifle, 1 rifle+UGL, 1 LSW and 1 LMG nowadays. :P

Yeh but im workin at cdt level, come on my DC doesnt even know what an M249 SAW is or even a UGL

he was sayin that anyone who didnt know what an m249 was might think it referd to the M2 on page 29 of the road atlas, hes had 13 years experience with cdt wtf has he been doin if he doesnt know what basic british kit is

I thinks this argument is going nowhere really, so it's best if we leave it there. :)

Eddie is qualified to comment, you both also feel you are. That's fair enough, and I'm not for a second suggesting you're not (you're certainly much more qualified than I am - I'm a lecturer in Public Services now, fer cryin' out loud :D ). If you feel there's any issues etc, why not chat to Eddie in pm, or better offer him constructive criticism / areas you feel need tweaking?

What I'm sure Eddie would appreciate is some of that. What he doesn't need however is people slating something he's bothered to spend the time producing (and I know that he's put a lot of work into it) for no reason other than to score themselves a few points on the interweb.

At the end of the day, if you don't think the field guide is for you then either help Eddie improve it, or produce one of your own, which if it's anything like Eddie's will be happily pinned up here by myself or another moderator. Please don't just go slating other people's work however, if you're not willing to do either of the above. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Pre-game rituals. Usually a night at the pub, or lubing up GBBs.

Recce the site. A 10 minute google job normally.

Equipment checks. RIS this RAS that, you know the drill.

Wondering aimlessly. A useful airsoft tactic, known as "bimbling" or adopting the "blob" formation. Also stands for "Winning the book contract."

Attack the wrong team.

Regen time.

Good little guide there eddie, enough for any airsofter i should imagine -ecspecially the milsim types. A lot of stuff changes - FIBUA/OBUA/FISH anyone? - but the principles are still the same. One group suppresses, the others flank and they all meet up in the safezone to chat loudly about their exploits.

The most useful for airsoft is probably the basic principle of fire and moevement, as well as flanking. When pinned down, you don't want to look around for the guys flanking, as burying your head in the mud seems the much more attractive option!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

As a former Infanteer, R Aux AF Regt secondee and Cheshire Regt TA and now involved with cadets as an instructor I think the manual is fine and Eddie should be thanked for putting something like this in easy reach for a lot of people whether cadets or airsofters.

I would like to see an airsofter CQB/battledrills manual as I have yet to see any co-ordination in a game unless it is between a few mates or a small team.

If Eddie or anyone else for that matter wants to put an airsoft manual together and play test it in 2007 give me a pm and lets see were we go!

Flong

It refers to flight level stuff mate, not section level.  While i have never worked with scout groups etc, I'm infomed by the RAF Regt that it is still current.  And just so you know, sections are made up of 2 fire teams with 1 rifle, 1 rifle+UGL, 1 LSW and 1 LMG nowadays. :P

Just so you know, there's 10 in a section. 8 Rifleman etc and the Section Cmd and 2ic. Still means that there's only 2 bayonets...but that's some thing different all together!

Also, how would you replicate a LAW in Airsoft?

Oh, and some more info on the actual guts of fire and movement and less on the kiten crawl etc.

Hope you don't think I'm sticking my nose in some one's bussiness!

• 4 weeks later...
Just so you know, there's 10 in a section. 8 Rifleman etc and the Section Cmd and 2ic. Still means that there's only 2 bayonets...but that's some thing different all together!

Also, how would you replicate a LAW in Airsoft?

Oh, and some more info on the actual guts of fire and movement and less on the kiten crawl etc.

Hope you don't think I'm sticking my nose in some one's bussiness!

Now, im pretty sure there's 8, at least half my family are Army Reg/TA, im a senior cadet, and about to join the TA, and im allmost 100% sure there's 8.

2 Riflemen (generally IC + 2IC)

2 Riflemen with UGL (grenadiers)

2 LSW's

2 Minimi's

Direct from the BA website:

"An infantry section consists of two, four-man fire teams"

i'm a section commander. Its 8.

Though more realistically it is less than this, as the army is over 5000 men under strength.

I've just come back from exercise in Canada and my section consisted of

me with rifle

LSW

rifle

2ic with UGL

rifle

Minimi

But it's never more than 8.

Darkchild

Darkchild knows what he is talking about he is an infantryman. Just out of intrest can anyone tell me about the makeup of a US rifle group?

Pretty much the same, it's what we've based it on. Rifleman, Designated marksman, Grenadier, Support Gunner. Two lots of this making up two fireteams. Easy huh?

And it means Brits/Yanks are using similar tactics, so can understand what each other is doing (in theory)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I like it a lot. Its basically a nicer reworking of a soldiers pocket guide isn't it? The one thats near as not issed for T.A. and I think cadets by into it a lot.

Although it would have been nice to see some thought with more specific focus on airsoft. A bit cryptic but I guess what I mean by that is, that airsoft tactics aren't nessessarily military tactics. For example:

The british army works its tactics mainly on company level assualts. Broken down into platoon and then futher broken down into section roles. At the end of the day, why send 4-6 men to do something when 32-105 can do it quicker and hold ground better? I mean PAWPERSO in that respect is a little overboard for airsoft. In PAWPERSO attacks you'd be looking at maybe a days preparation for a 1-3 hour premeditated enagement.

Equally airsoft doesnt have to worry about certain military aspects, in airsoft, pellets can't travel through trees let alone metal or brick. Even 5.56mm bullets however can easily pass through teh steel of a car door and out the other side still at lethal velocity. Bullets can even puncture bricks. So cover is more available in airosft. Not to mention the blarring differences like the lack of adequate fire support, artillery, armour and air cover. Its in this sense that milsim isn't really military simulation. It will never evolve to be more than an airosft take on modern warfare.

But don't take that as anything other than constructive critisicm. I like the effort and its good that there are people out there actively thinking of tactics for airsoft. If you ever do future versions maybe really look through the military fieldcraft manuals (PAMII i think its called) and crimp out all the irrelevant army stuff and keep the really good, useable airsoft tactics.

One big thing I would add is that most military tactics are based around the concept of fire/move. But in airsoft it just doesnt work. Mainly because when bullets are physically shreading the area around you, ducking isn't an option, its an innvolunary reflex. Pellets pinging off the ground however isn't quite so compelling. So all that happens is someone stops firing for even a split second and whoever's moving gets pasted. A much better tactic is to get as close as possible before being seen, and then to manipulate confussion to your advantage, keep them firing on their own team!

But don't take that as anything other than constructive critisicm. I like the effort and its good that there are people out there actively thinking of tactics for airsoft. If you ever do future versions maybe really look through the military fieldcraft manuals (PAMII i think its called) and crimp out all the irrelevant army stuff and keep the really good, useable airsoft tactics.

Thanks for the comments, all I will say though is, I based it on retail publications and cadet publications simply becuase the PAM is covered by the OSA and therefore I can't publish anything from it on the internet without risking getting into serious bother.

Otherwise I would have put not only more stuff in there, but also it'd be a bit more up to date than it is.

Archived