Airsoft sniping solution?

Agent47

I've seen in quite a few airsoft sites they say sniping can be good, but not that insanely cool as the distances at which you engage people as a sniper or marksman aren't really far off sometimes.

So here's an idea. Let's tune up the FPS to unholy levels and have some wicked twist barrels.

But wait, that could seriously injure someone.

Here's the kicker. Mount a laser range finder onto the gun, zeroed perfectly. Here's how it can be pulled off. Point the gun in any direction. Physics tells us that the fired BB will lose speed over time as it flies towards the target. (at least, that's the basic idea...I think.) Alright, so you point the highpowered airsoft gun at a close range target. The laser rangefinder computes this range, and the range is too close and thus dangerous, the rangefinder cuts off battery power or cuts off the gas or jams the bolt-action temporarily. Point it at a far off target, the rangefinder calculates it, and it is safe this time, power and functionality is restored and you are free to engage.

For the sniper that is faced with close range targets, he can either withdraw from his current position, or pull out his secondary weapon (MP5K/P90/MP7/GBB Pistol) to engage, or tell his partner or any nearby unit to eliminate the threats.

The whole idea is to significantly extend the range of the sniper rifle while allowing safety to be observed by having the BB impact the target at a safe velocity.

It's probably a very far out idea, but if a company undertook this task this could be really cool...what do you guys think?

it's also gonna be expensive as hell, the best thing to decide if to fire or not is common sense... plus, you're gonna get those asses who turn off their rangefinder in the game and pegg from closer distances...

It already happens today, ppl with gas sniper rifles put in 134a and it just barely under thefps limit, then when I see them, they're putting in Green which would jump thier fps over the limit...

just my opinions...

Sounds awfully dangerous.. If it as afast as it sounds, I think it would still be fast enough to make someone bleed. As for the rangefinder, it seems innovative but flawed. It wont know the difference between a tree and a person. Say you are firing through bushes, it wont let you because of the finder. In addition, the range finder seems rather expensive.

That sounds great but still to dangerous... what if someone pops up infront of you while you're trying to hit someone 300ft away? :blink: ouch...

true...but we're thinking about a rangefinder that has to react quickly along with its computer...and that's why you also have a friend along in ghillie or a nearby squad...

it's also gonna be expensive as hell, the best thing to decide if to fire or not is common sense... plus, you're gonna get those asses who turn off their rangefinder in the game and pegg from closer distances...

It already happens today, ppl with gas sniper rifles put in 134a and it just barely under thefps limit, then when I see them, they're putting in Green which would jump thier fps over the limit...

just my opinions...

it probably is going to be expensive, there's probably no avoiding the price tag with this idea, and yeah, you probably will get noobs who will turn them off...either make a security measure, or sell by word-of-mouth...?

Sounds awfully dangerous.. If it as afast as it sounds, I think it would still be fast enough to make someone bleed. As for the rangefinder, it seems innovative but flawed. It wont know the difference between a tree and a person. Say you are firing through bushes, it wont let you because of the finder. In addition, the range finder seems rather expensive.

yeah, I admit it sounds dangerous...but what I'm trying to say is that the velocity upon impact when the BB hits the target should be low enough to not cause any significant injury...(and I consider minor bleeding not significant...probably because I've got it in the face too many times...) if the target is under a certain range then the gun shuts down.

About the shooting through bushes thing...well, I guess, with being a sniper, you probably want to have a clear shot - the BB can get deflected through the bushes and everything - this isn't real steel where the BB is going to rip right through the bushes...

true...but we're thinking about a rangefinder that has to react quickly along with its computer...and that's why you also have a friend along in ghillie or a nearby squad...

What I meant is more like the opfor is halfway standing up, you see him but since your reaction time isn't that fast you've already pressed the trigger, and since the opfor is not fully stood up yet; the range finder is still "looking" at the guy 300ft away so then the opfor stands up into the path of the *insane*fps bb...

Other than that, it'll be cool. Even if it's expensive people will still buy it to get extra "edge" over people; in this case, range.

What I meant is more like the opfor is halfway standing up, you see him but since your reaction time isn't that fast you've already pressed the trigger, and since the opfor is not fully stood up yet; the range finder is still "looking" at the guy 300ft away so then the opfor stands up into the path of the *insane*fps bb...

Other than that, it'll be cool. Even if it's expensive people will still buy it to get extra "edge" over people; in this case, range.

well I guess we have to find a rangefinder or computer that reacts very quickly...

I mean the idea is that the rangefinder would continually be on and always transmitting range data to the computer...or it looks like some company would have to develop such a thing...

EDIT: ok I see what you mean...well...you do have to work with a partner to take care of the sneaky enemies...but yeah, that's the only problem with this so far...

The range finder idea is easy, as laser range finders already exist. Mine doubles as a stud detector :D . They can go quite a distance too. The prolem would be to compute it to shut off something to deactivate the gun. Your best be would be to just look at the range finder and know what the safe range is.

The range finder idea is easy, as laser range finders already exist. Mine doubles as a stud detector :D . They can go quite a distance too. The prolem would be to compute it to shut off something to deactivate the gun. Your best be would be to just look at the range finder and know what the safe range is.

But doesn't that defeat the whole purpose? It's no differnet then just getting a normal range fider and use the exisisting sniper rifles... no need to get special ones.

I think fields could start tracking their players and giving them reps and determining their skill/maturity/verteran-ness. It'll be like a Griffin book for airsoft, every airsofter will be tracked and fields will know about them. Then certain airsofters who have shown maturity and be a veteran can use highly powered sniper rifles and use range finders to get the distances. Something like that. I can elaborate more but that's the gist of it. It could be a field by field thing or a national/international thing ;)

It'll take a lot of work but if it is done this could lower our n00b and bad publicity problem.

it's too costly, the company that makes it will only get a few sales from guys who r really into airsoft. they wouldnt make enough proffit. keep in mind its gonna take a lot of money just to research it and get it built, plus the materials are expensive, so theyd have to sell it for a LOT of money, and it would probly add a lot of bulk 2 ur rifle, and probly malfunction a lot... hence, no one would want it.

the ideas great, just not practical.

You could preorder it, then they make it after you order. That way the company would make profit.

Since youre going really high tech to have the rangefinder computer shut your gun off, instead of that you should have the computer turn the gas flow level down, in effect decreasing FPS to safe levels. :)

Actually the technology already exists and it's not that expensive. What you're talking baout is what you'll find in an autofocus camera. In there'es a small infra-red rangefinder connected to a stepper motor to focus the lens.

Now think how cheaply you can get an autofocus camera these days. The only thing stopping someone just buying one and stripping the internals out is the fact that for a camera the "maximum range" is about 25 feet. But that's just a matter or changing the rangefinder.

Also, if you are gonna have unholy fps, would that stop being an airsoft gun, and become... well a gun?

I love sniping, and I know it is different in airsoft than it is in r/w. Its all about the skill. I use a Kar98k, and yes than can be tuned to around 500fops, but mine is usually around 330 to 350, which still is quite high I will admit.

However, it is the hunt I love, sitting in my hole watching the enemy close through my scope. 'I am an ambush sniper, this is how I hunt!'

Even if the rangefinder could automatically shut off the firing mechanism if it was too close, there obviously would always be ways around it. Because of that, I wouldn't play with strangers using such a gun. However, if I was playing with someone I knew using such a high-powered rifle and could trust to not shoot within their minimum engagement distance, I would be willing to play with them regardless of whether they had a fancy rangefinder or not.

After allllll that...at 300+ feet most people wouldn't even call their hits. They'd just be like "what the hell? must have been a fly or something..."

Airsoft should mostly be cqb IMO...no dodging bb's, and you KNOW when you get hit. Airsoft sniping is basically hunting, which is cool, but there's no big range advantage...my upgraded CAm15 shoots about the same distance as any (legal)sniper i've seen. The main thing with snipers is they're just so damn quiet.

Like i said, if you have a sniper that can hit a guy from over 300 feet, you better hit him more than once (good luck) otherwise he won't call the shot...how fast would the bb even be flying when it hits him? 100fps? Barely anything, you can't tell me you'd call your hit unless you physicall say the bb bounce off you.

just put a hop twist in the sniper rifles. Hop twist will increase the accuracy, and range but the flaw is that if u exceed the fps of over 330 the bb won't get good range with the hop twist.

So if u want a long ranger sniper with good accuracy and range without a high fps put a hop twist case solved

-Cruton

Here's the kicker.  Mount a laser range finder onto the gun, zeroed perfectly.  Here's how it can be pulled off.  Point the gun in any direction.  Physics tells us that the fired BB will lose speed over time as it flies towards the target. (at least, that's the basic idea...I think.)  Alright, so you point the highpowered airsoft gun at a close range target.  The laser rangefinder computes this range, and the range is too close and thus dangerous, the rangefinder cuts off battery power or cuts off the gas or jams the bolt-action temporarily.  Point it at a far off target, the rangefinder calculates it, and it is safe this time, power and functionality is restored and you are free to engage. 

well first, this is nothing new

second, you cant cut power to the gun, because if your using an electric gun as a sniper you're an idiot, they suck.

I had a similiar setup, and it worked in theory.

You would pull the trigger, the gun would not go off, it would fire the lazer, and calculate the distance to the target, it then would check the rifles current pressure (gas rifle of course) and adjusted it to that current range, hell I could have attached servo's to the scope to adjust zero at the given range.

however I never did it, because this was all theoretical stuff that i wanted to do, before I tried sniping, once i started, i realized how dumb it all was.

at a reasonable range, you are NEVER going to really have your target directly in front of you. even slight wind at 200-300ft, your going to be firing several feet of to either side, and/or above, allmost every time.so your never going to get an accurate reading from a distancer anyway.

Also, distancers are EXTREMELY bitchy about dirt, strapping one to a rifle isnt going to fly for very long.

For a saftey device, yeah maybe it could work, if missing half your shots because the thing isnt working right is your goal. Sniping is about skill and responsability, if you /need/ to strap one of these doohickeys to someone's rifle to trust them, they shouldnt be sniping, if you want one yourself, you should learn how to judge distance.

People calling hits at extreme range isnt an issue if your good, anyone that doesnt call a hit from my rifle greatly regrets it within the next few minutes when I aim for somewhere more vital, and sneak closer.

Archived