Anime?

PILMAN

Anyone watch Anime? If so what are your favorite titles? Heres a few of mine.

Outlaw Star

Basically about bounty hunters in space, it is pretty interesting but older.

Cowboy Bebop

Also about bounty hunters in space, better than outlaw star

Gantz

This is a strange series. Basically a game you have to play if you have died in a alternate reality of earth. Very very gorey and violent.

Planetes

Rather unknown anime but very realistic and serious about traveling to space in the future, it is about the problem of space debris and corporations and overall life in the future of 2075.

Berserk

Medieval anime, basically lots of blood and overall good series though it was never completed :(

Golden Boy

A rather humorous anime, considered ecchi (teasing and stuff) and lots of potty and sexual jokes. Great series if you want to die cracking up.

Jin-Roh

Not a series but a movie, about post world war II in a alternate reality where the AXIS won the war and Japan is reforming it's economy and government like the nazis, huge protests and revolts. Very good movie.

Girls Bravo

Considered ecchi, recently licensed anime in the US. It is very funny/comical mainly dealing with sexual jokes.

Platonic Chain

A strange unlicensed anime not available in the US. The shows are only about 5 minutes long and it mainly is about cell phone technology/social networking. Interesting but weird.

Survive! Uninhabited Planet

Unlicensed anime not available in the US. About a group of kids who live on colonys on different planets in our solar system. Their school trip goes wrong and they end up on a isolated planet aliens used to live, they try to survive. It is a kids show but still good and interesting.

Stratos 4

Unlicensed anime not available in the US. It is about some girls who are part of NASA or something and they fix problems in space. I have not watched the whole series but it has good drawings

Yukikaze

A more serious series, it has very good dogfights. The series is about some aliens who found a warp into Earth via a cloud from their home planet over Antartica. The government trys to keep it a secret and builds airbases there working on new planes from captured alien technology. I recommend this if you are into anime with lots of pretty explosions and dogfights. Sketchy but realistic drawings.

AIR

Unlicensed anime not found in the US. It is a strange anime about this girl who is a reincarnation or something of her family member from the past. The Anime is extremely neat for it's animation/drawings as it is all handdrawn and very very realistic. I doubt this will come to the US soon.

Macross Zero

Unlicensed anime not found in the US. This is a special edition OVA of 5 episodes, very good dogfights and deals with planes that turn into some kind of mech. It is involved with alien technology and is drawn very well. Uses a lot of CG.

FLAG

Unlicensed and not found in the US. A new anime series that is being aired in Japan, it is about a conflict in Tibet and UN troops are trying to calm the situation. The story covers from the background of someone doing documentarys. The whole series is done as you are looking through a photographers camera, it is a very unique style and a good series so far everything is drawn very very realistic. Doubtful it will ever be licensed in the US.

Grave of the fireflies

It is a story about a boy and his sister during World War II, they are caught in firebombings from US planes and try to survive. It is a sad movie and highly recommended. An older movie but drawn to even meet most of todays standards.

Gun slinger girl

This is a great anime for airsoft fans. The animation is superb and the guns are drawn very realisticly down to the trademarks. The story takes place in Rome and has a pretty serious approach to the series. Recommended

Zipang

Unlicensed anime not available in the US. It is about a modern advanced Japanese navy ship accidently going back in time after a storm to world war II Japan. This is during the midway battle and they cannot choose a side because they do not want to alter history. They fear Japan could use the technology to their advantage and change history of World War II. A very interesting series and recommended.

now and then here and there

An anime regarding a young boy who meets a strange girl in his town. Some strange people freeze time and take the girl back but the boy is taken as well on accident to a nearly deserted and dyeing earth as the sun is in a red giant stage, perhaps a billion years into the future. There is a war being fought while a "hitler" type of leader is trying to take over the world, he trains children to fight in his army and pillages citys. A very depressing and emotional anime though highly recommended.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What?! No Ghost in the Shell? :waggle:

Well, here are my favoriates, in no peticular order.

Ghost in the Shell SAC (1st and 2nd gig) - Personally I like the TV better than the movie ;)

School Rumble - Just when you think, "O great, it's another school life anime about love" well, it's not. It's more than your average school anime with good, wacky plot and great execution. It's even got a night time school airsoft shootout plot arc (TM FTW!!! :D)

Fullmetal Panic - (All season) Great mix of action and comedy. Fumoffu FTW!

Full Metal Alchemist - Never read the manga, but the anime adaptation, though having different plot, is still great.

Elfen Lied - Bloody good anime, literally. I'm reading the manga now.

Oh! My Goddess - It's about a goddess who grants wishes that was accidentally asked to stay with a "client." A very light anime with lots of mechnical, cars, motorcycle talk; with no end in sight (There is no real "plot" in this... just a ton of plot arcs and "everyday life" with a goddess)

Excel Saga - ...crazy. It's not really possible to explain this anime.

The Malencholy of Suzumiya Haruhi - What can I say, I LOVE THIS SERIES :D

There are more, but I'll stop for now...

As you can probably tell, I like comical animes.

What?! No Ghost in the Shell?  :waggle:

Well, here are my favoriates, in no peticular order.

Ghost in the Shell SAC (1st and 2nd gig) - Personally I like the TV better than the movie ;)

School Rumble - Just when you think, "O great, it's another school life anime about love" well, it's not. It's more than your average school anime with good, wacky plot and great execution. It's even got a night time school airsoft shootout plot arc (TM FTW!!! :D)

Fullmetal Panic - (All season) Great mix of action and comedy. Fumoffu FTW!

Full Metal Alchemist - Never read the manga, but the anime adaptation, though having different plot, is still great.

Elfen Lied - Bloody good anime, literally. I'm reading the manga now.

Oh! My Goddess - It's about a goddess who grants wishes that was accidentally asked to stay with a "client." A very light anime with lots of mechnical, cars, motorcycle talk; with no end in sight (There is no real "plot" in this... just a ton of plot arcs and "everyday life" with a goddess)

Excel Saga - ...crazy. It's not really possible to explain this anime.

The Malencholy of Suzumiya Haruhi - What can I say, I LOVE THIS SERIES :D

There are more, but I'll stop for now...

As you can probably tell, I like comical animes.

I've seen Elfen Lied and Ghost in the shell 2. I didn't list them as I don't really have an opinion on them yet, I haven't seen enough of Elfen lied. From what I saw most of it was censored as I downloaded fansubs before it became licensed in the US therefore it was aired on tv in Japan and they censored most of the blood. I plan to pick that series up though it looked interesting.

I've seen Elfen Lied and Ghost in the shell 2. I didn't list them as I don't really have an opinion on them yet, I haven't seen enough of Elfen lied. From what I saw most of it was censored as I downloaded fansubs before it became licensed in the US therefore it was aired on tv in Japan and they censored most of the blood. I plan to pick that series up though it looked interesting.

IMO EL is worth it, the voice acting is great (As with all ADV films though.) I'm surprised there's no sequel though, since they've got enough source materials (the manga) to do it.

Naruto. I have the headband to prove it smile.gif

I used to like Naruto a bit before the seemingly endless fillers started...

I forgot to add

RahXephon - Though being a Eva fan, I like RahXephon better than NGE. IMHO it's what NGE wanted to be but didn't, RahXephon takes the NGE approach by taking mythology, religion, with sci-fi elements, blended it together, gave it a good plot filled with explainable mind-rapes and conspiracies. Major plus: the protaginist isn't as whiiny as Shinji...

My fave animes?

Serial Experiments: Lain

Venus Wars (yes, Im THAT old!)

The original Fist Of The North Star..."I believe these belong to you?" <Rei throws a huge thug his decapitated arms back...>

Vampire Princess Miyu

Probably more but Im too tired to think right now.

Final note: Hellsing was utter, complete, total trash!!!!!

You can't decapitate arms.

:lol:

Lmfao...

Geniusness. :)

----------

I'm more of a comic book person and I'm years behind the Vagabond series. I really hope they make a decent anime version, though the pen and brush is too good.

The animation could sky rocket in price. :(

I'll stick to hugging my comics. :P

Wow I was actually wrong. Zipang was licensed in the US 2 months ago, i'm very surprised as i'd think it would be consider controversal as it displays Japans world war II history. I'm surprised theres demand in the US for it, ah well i'm happy, those fansubs payed off and i'm ordering the dvds :)

Wow I was actually wrong. Zipang was licensed in the US 2 months ago, i'm very surprised as i'd think it would be consider controversal as it displays Japans world war II history. I'm surprised theres demand in the US for it, ah well i'm happy, those fansubs payed off and i'm ordering the dvds :)

You'd be surprised at the stuff that gets licensed, sometimes I think the US companies just randomly picks them... Take Utawarerumono for example... no one expected it to be licensed at all.

These are some notable animes I'm watching, it's not my favorite (yet) since it's not over .

xxxHOLiC - It's weird and fun

Welcome to the NHK! - Just weird...

Ouran High School Host Club - Normally I'm not into bishounen animes, but this one is very funny.

Utawarerumono - Starts out as a light, average fantasy anime but soon gets better. IMO it's good, not great, but not bad either, though it's licensed so I'm going to have to wait a while before finishing it... <_<

Gundam SEED Stargazer - Never thought I'd like it, especially since it's Gundam. It's only been 2 episodes (more like OVA's since they're only 14min long) but it's better than all of SEED and SEED/D combined... but following Gundam tradition, it's going to fail badly soon...

Ergo Proxy - I nominate it as the "mind-rape of the year anime."

lol, all my American friends in school say I watch too much anime, but all my Asian friends (back in Asia) say I don't watch/play enough anime/sims. :D

The Good:

Inuyasha. Why? No bloody idea. The story sucks. The writer doesn't know how to write. The sword keeps on getting more and more powerful (still waiting for a refrigerator function. Possibly even Asahi or Sapporo beer ads to go with) and there are more and more powerful demons out there who want to destroy the world who are older than time, but they didn't destroy the world before, but suddenly after thousands of years they're threats to all that Japanese people hold dear. But not the people who live in castles or villages. They're too busy getting killed all the time. It does have some decent philosophy and ponderings and funniness, but the first two are few and far between (and require much independent thought) and the latter is abundant, but not nearly as much so as to classify the show as a comedy. But it does have everything, I reckon: drama, romance, action, comedy, dog-boys being castrated by their two competing girl friends who are also the same girl/woman.

Ghost in the Shell: It's like Deus Ex, only slightly more fantastical (in technology) and slightly less fantastical (in the covert plots) I think I shall call it Desu Ex.

Cowboy Bebop: Sh__ blows up and there are lots of guns. Also, plenty of retro style to the whole thing. Also, it has very obvious references to The Crow. And The Crow pwns.

Full Metal Alchemist: Decent story. Deals with some issues that are somewhat typical of other series. Namely the movie and manga versions of Ghost in the Shell. Plus, it has Nazis. How can you not like something that involves the occult and Nazis? Unless it's Bloodrayne or SS Doomtrooper, but let's not go there....

Escaflowne: Damn good music. The storyline is pretty good, and it deals with some issues that aren't in the other anime that I've mentioned (but are in a good number more, from what I can recall, including the live-action, but very anime-style Casshern). The movie isn't very good unless you've seen the series, but even then it struggles to make sense of itself. Arthurian themes are rampant, many references to Atlantis and the Garden of Eden and the Exodus. Plus, it has Sir Isaac Newton: the man who had an apple fall on his head. Apparently a few times too many and a little too hard.

Samurai Champloo: A group of two ronin and a young woman search 1800's Japan for the young woman's father and get, quite frequently, sidetracked by bandits, greedy bankufu officials, lack of money, lack of food, and strange rapping travellers. Tres funny with much sword play. And gay Dutchmen.

The Bad (or, I don't know how to classify these yet):

Trigun: I know that a lot of people love this series. I don't particularly like it, however, and I've seen the whole thing. It's decent enough to watch and I know plenty of people who enjoy the series, so here goes it.

Blood Trinity: Since GitS is no longer on [adult swim] and they've substitued this for GitS (same time block), I figure that I might as well watch some of it. Have no judgement at this time, having only seen one episode, but it looks to be fairly decent.

The Pwnt:

EVA: Annoying, unsympathetic characters. Completely implausible plot, takes itself far too seriously. It's like the new Battlestar Galactica if you throw out any sense of reality and make all of the characters constantly grate on each other and completely impossible to sympathize with, without losing any of the slow pace of the seires nor seriously discussing important philosophical or moral issues.

Blue Gender: Pretty much the same reasoning behind my dislike of 'EVA'. The characters are impossible to sympathize with and after an hour and a half of hearing the time-travelling protagonist (whose balls must have frozen off while he was in cryo-freeze) kvetch and cry, I got sick of it and had to turn it off.

G Gundam: Far too kiddish. Too many things that would otherwise be funny, but wind up being taken too seriously (like the Statue of Liberty Cannon and the American General who's the spitting image of MacArthur, the Danes with their windmill mecha, and the Norwegians with their Viking Longboat mecha. Of course, France, the UK, Japan, the US, Sweden, and China all get decent-looking mecha (their nations gundam operators being the protagonists), while all the others are characatures).

You'd be surprised at the stuff that gets licensed, sometimes I think the US companies just randomly picks them... Take Utawarerumono for example... no one expected it to be licensed at all.

These are some notable animes I'm watching, it's not my favorite (yet) since it's not over .

xxxHOLiC - It's weird and fun

Welcome to the NHK! - Just weird...

Ouran High School Host Club - Normally I'm not into bishounen animes, but this one is very funny.

Utawarerumono - Starts out as a light, average fantasy anime but soon gets better. IMO it's good, not great, but not bad either, though it's licensed so I'm going to have to wait a while before finishing it... <_<

Gundam SEED Stargazer - Never thought I'd like it, especially since it's Gundam. It's only been 2 episodes (more like OVA's since they're only 14min long) but it's better than all of SEED and SEED/D combined... but following Gundam tradition, it's going to fail badly soon...

Ergo Proxy - I nominate it as the "mind-rape of the year anime."

Yeah some of the stuff thats been getting licensed is really surprising me, i'd never think the American market would like some of the stuff, i'm into some different anime my brother or friends feel is boring or strange. Many of the highschool anime or cooking anime are too foreign or strange to my friends. Girls Bravo was one I originally felt would never get licensed but it's fun to get fansubs before they are released, personally it gives me a preview before it gets licensed here to see if I like it or not. Planetes was one I watched before it got licensed and I loved it and bought the series when it got released here because I simply wanted to be able to watch it on my tv and support the licensee as it will allow them to license more products in the future. Zipang is the other one i'm purchasing, it's a 26 episode series and i've seen about 14 episodes. A lot of fans hate dubs but I personally think they are ok after watching the whole series in Japanese as sometimes it strains my eyes to keep glancing at subtitles.

I've always had a hard time getting into mainstream anime as it seems like Cartoon Network always trys to butcher it with their annoying dubs, some companys do better dubs than others but nothing beats the original Japanese voices, it just seems like some subtitles are done better than others (fansub subtitles are done well) whereas most licensers purposely butcher the subtitles and make them hard to read or bad translations. It's a shame.

favorite anime, hmmmm, its a long list

series:

cowboy beebop, all time favorite, great story, greater eye candy

GITS 1 & 2, 2 alot more tho, has a much less complicated, yet more action packed story, but this doesnt mean it isnt for the simple minded, not by a long shot

samurai champloo: cheers enjoyement to be had with this one, simple story, great sworldplay, absolutly beatiful anime to watch, and to listen to

neon genisis evangelion, just because the only words you can use to describe are "huh" and "wha"

films:

ninja scroll

gits 1

cowboy beebop

eva again, for the same reason as the series

akira

vampire hunter D

many more, that i really like, but cant be arsed to turn on the lights and look at the vast DVD collection :P

Full Metal Panic (Original, Fumoffu, and The Second Raid, and most likely more to come)- The series that got me hooked into anime. A nice, semi-realistic (well, not really) military anime... with mechas....and schoolgirls...who are actually valuable technological... I'll end it there. It has everything from solid action, comedy, and beautiful romance. Highly reccomended.

Neon Genesis Evangelion- An undeniable classic known that is both loved and hated for its mind*fruitcaging* ending. I personally love it and eagerly await the new movies. Watch it. It's got meeeechaaassss...sorta.

Martian Successor Nadesico- A semi-classic space warfare mecha anime. Very enjoyable to watch. Neat space battles. A charismatic cast makes it shine.

Trigun- Another classic. It has a deep and unforgettable storyline, wonderful character development, and some excellent gunfights, all set on a desert planet. Absolutely beautiful, should be required viewing.

Saishuu Heiki Kanojou (SaiKano)- One of the only animes that has made me actually cry three times in one viewing. A beautiful end-of-the-world romance story. Not for the sensitive.

Ghost in the Shell- The perfect serious anime. A mystery/police anime with lots of detailed fight scenes, great music, plenty of intrigue, etc. Just watch it. All of it. The movies, tv seasons, etc. Go.

Excel Saga- Funniest show I have ever watched. A humorous romp through every anime genre possible, as told by the only two henchmen of the world-domination company ACROSS.

School Rumble- A lighthearted high school romance anime, full of humor and love polygons with n-sides. A good watch. I just wish the second season didn't get domestically licensed already. -_-

Azumanga Daioh- an odd anime about odd girls. Very odd. Very silly. Very cute.

Personally, I don't specificallly watch something because it's anime. If I have heard a series is good I will treat it like I would a series of any other, erm, format.

The anime programs I do like are

Dragonball Z, some of it (well a fair bit) was annoying and slow, but I thought the Buu saga was a great way to finish the series off

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Tenchi Muyo (the OVA, Universe was ######, as was GXP)

Metropolis

Ayakashi (Japanese horror, absolutely ace program IMO)

Naruto. I have the headband to prove it :)

Ditto, in fact 4 (good old ebay). I was going to get a throwing star as well, but wasn't sure of the legality of it.

I have watched a bit more, like Bleach and FMA, but gave up cause I didn't rate them.

Archived