Adaptor for 134a refrigerant cans?

Hustie

Righto, so whilst I was at Sams Club today I saw something that cuaght my attention, it was a box of hfc-134a refrigerant, same thing as duster gas and the airsoft gas. I already have an AI duster adaptor so nothing special right?

NO! These cans were $3 a pop, same 12oz as office depot cans but the price was $35 for 12 cans!

The have a threaded top and appear to be puncturable in the top where the threads are, here's a link to what it looks like:linky (not a good pic I know)

So my question is whether an adaptor is already made (Preferably) or can one be made or retro fitted?

Thanks for all advice.

They are. CFC's were pushed out of production in the early to mid 90's, BUT HFC's still represent a substantial environmental impact since they are a greenhouse gas. HFC-134a in particular is 1300 times more effective at trapping heat in the atmosphere.

We don't need this to turn into a discussion about global warming, etc etc... the letter of the law states HFC-134a/R-134a, and -134 variant is illegal to deliberately release into the atmosphere. Take it as you will, these are the facts.

Read here if you're interested http://www.epa.gov/EPA-AIR/1998/June/Day-11/a15003.htm

one reason its illegal to use openly is because it kills the O-zone. The government strictly regulate that type of Gas in the air.

BTW those are not the same type of 134a.

CFC's, contrary to popular opinion, are not really destructive to the ozone layer. Your looking at 5% at the most, while the concentrations of the ozone layer fluctuate by 50%, and any damage that occurs happens at the north and south poles, where the conditions for CFC damage occuring are ideal. But again, 5% at the most.

Cheers,

Daniel

• 3 months later...
They are. CFC's were pushed out of production in the early to mid 90's, BUT HFC's still represent a substantial environmental impact since they are a greenhouse gas. HFC-134a in particular is 1300 times more effective at trapping heat in the atmosphere.

We don't need this to turn into a discussion about global warming, etc etc... the letter of the law states HFC-134a/R-134a, and -134 variant is illegal to deliberately release into the atmosphere. Take it as you will, these are the facts.

Read here if you're interested http://www.epa.gov/EPA-AIR/1998/June/Day-11/a15003.htm

> Law is always interesting and often contridictory.Given that it is probably illegal in some way, back to the question at hand. What is needed to use the stuff for airsoft? Is it mabe better to use propane?That might ease the karma issue.I have some old Fujimi pistols and am looking for the best way to shoot them cheaply without external air.

Archived