Western Arms Beretta Cougar Inox

Review- Western Arms Cougar M8045 Inox

Rating- 9/10

This review’s going to be tipped a little off-course, as this gun has been used before I bought it (however well maintained), and it has had a Flow Restrictor installed. For all you 134A users out there- sorry :(

When the gun first arrived, it was great- it looked and felt amazing. So, my first instinct was simple- take the *beep* apart.

The gun takes apart like a regular Beretta- you press a button on the right-hand part of the frame, and rotate a catch. Unlike the conventional 9mm Beretta, though, this only rotates about 45 degrees before stopping, after that you’re able to take the slide off, no problem, by pulling the entire thing forward.

Once this is off- this is the odd bit- it’s nothing like the conventional Beretta. The barrel is completely internal and the slide isn’t open, and there’s a 2-piece assembly- the recoil spring and block, and the barrel and the rest of the slide. It’s a bit of a pain to put them back together (the first time), but after doing it twice, you could do it with your eyes closed. How to take the barrel and mechanism out, I have no idea. It’s very well put together, and there’s no hint of any way- my gun didn’t come with a manual, so that’d probably explain it. Snowman can do it, though, so I’m sure there’s a way.

As for the frame, this is the main similarity to the Beretta (the slide reeks of Hi-Capa or 1911, mainly because it’s a .45). The frame’s built in generic Beretta style, except for the much bigger grips (not for the small handed, definitely) and small differences here and there. The black plastic grips, emblazoned with the Beretta logo on the center of either side, will come off via 2 screws in each one (which use an ordinary Philips head, or a dime, whichever’s on hand).

Upon putting the gun back together (the rotating barrel function’s neat, it only rotates a bit but it’s pretty nice).

As for aesthetics, the finish is amazing- it’s showpiece quality. Mine has some minor (and a few major, on the frame) scratches from years of circulation and use.

As for accuracy- it’s pretty accurate, and on Propane, it’s pretty powerful. I have no tool to adjust the HopUp (it comes with a tiny hex key for that, which mine didn’t have), but the last people who had it seemed to have done that.

I’m guessing the velocity’s over 310. Seems that way to me, at least- grouping pictures should be up soon.

The gun has KICK to it. Seriously, more then hard-kick or metal guns- each shot, I can see the barrel shoot up for a second in front of my hand. It’s a joy to shoot- even though I bought the non heavyweight Inox version, this gun doesn’t hold back.

Other functions this has is a working decocker and a gas transfer system (you can decock the gun by pulling the trigger, and pushing the hammer forward slowly with your thumb), which I find useful as hell.

On the downsides,

The mags, at least for me, were a bit leaky. This has been since remedied by soaking the inlet valves in silicone oil, and storing the mags ¼ full. However, I’m using Propane- with 134A, I’m sure there’s no problem.

This gun WILL get at least a bit scratched up in harsh conditions- if you’re going to be running around in skirmish conditions with it, I advise you be careful. Outside, it’s built like a tank- I doubt any (if not some) dirt will get in, there’s very few gaps for it to. But if you’re using it as primarily a showpiece- go for it. I, personally, don’t mind the scratches- but that’s just me.

The gun looks and feels metal- it fooled one of the last owners, who had no idea if it was or not until telling Airsoft Canada members the markings on the slide and frame of the gun. Feeling it myself, it weighs just as much or more then pot-metal guns you find around. With the mag in, it weighs (at least, it feels like) more then my full metal HFC M190!

Overall, I can’t recommend this gun enough. Collector or skirmisher, this gun is the perfect balance between the two- first skrim I do with mine’ll be on the 31st, I’ll have an after-action report for you guys after.

Cheers,

Nate

Yep. Well, I got the silver version, so the mag's a nice silver sheen- however, that mag's just for show (I stole the parts from it to fix my other black mag). For skrims, 2 black mags are what I use.

You're getting an SCW Cougar, so the mags would be black (as the gun is, too).

Now, for pictures-

Picture195.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture194.jpg

Edited by Bob the Angry Potato

I wonder how similar they are in comparison to the KSC versions. I had my hands on even the cheap/nasty KJW version on Saturday.. and heck. that was quite a novel wee thing.

Hope you carry on enjoying your M8045

Indeed, thanks. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Looking back on this thread, I see there's an unrelated picture of a Diet Coke bottle rocketing up, I think I got the URL wrong for the picture I was supposed to post. Sorry :(

Mag leaks have been fixed, turned out it was a painfully obvious solution that had nothing to do with either the fill valves or O-rings.

It's too late to edit, so I'll post the picture I MEANT to post here.

Picture030.jpg

As per the metal kit- yeah, I'm sad noone ever made one. I heard rumours of a Zekeone, but that may have been for the KSC.

However, it feels metal enough, and even this (the non-HW version) has a nice heft to it- with the mag in, it weighs about the same as my full metal HFC M190, which is even bigger then it. Also, it's the only Beretta that can take a flow restrictor :D

so that it can use Propane without any problems.

How they are compared to KSC version?

'Fraid I've never even seen one in person.

However, if you ask Snowman nicely, he may do you the honours. Hell, he has an affinity for Cougars, probably due to one of his best GBBs ever was one (he admitted it was one of his very best), which was actually what prompted me to buy mine.