M203 Grenade Launcher rifle

doopydoo

This is version 1: http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4736/grenaderiflekd2.gif

I want something to shoot grenades with, but $100 for the cheapest launcher? come on.

I realize that I COULD incorporate this design into a pistol, and that would be really, really easy, but there are a lot of 40mm M203 pistols around.

Ok, so what I would do is get some 40mm PVC pipe(does that even exist) and glue it to a hinge that is glued to a stock, which will house the trigger/hammer mechanism and trigger spring.

The 'slider' (orange part) would be slided closer to the stock when firing, so that the barrel wouldn't shift around because it's just on a hinge. when it's time to change shells, the slider would slide past the hinge so that the barrel could bend up so the the shell would be exposed.

The trigger/hammer mechanism is basically a button to push a button(there just needs to be force applied on the button of the grenade shell, no striking, correct?). Pull the trigger, the lever pushes the grenade button, bang. then you let go of the trigger, and the spring pushes it back into rest position.

On the stock, the little lip at the front of the stock is so that the slider wouldn't slide completely off.

The barrel would be PVC pipe, hinge would be a hinge I buy at home depot or whatever, the stock and trigger/hammer assembly would be made out of wood (I have a scroll saw), the little pink dot in the hammer assembly is actually a small rod so that the hammer would have a fulcrum.

After a while of thinking, I thought this might be easier and more durable: http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/7981/gr...eriflev2nc7.gif

I have a question. If the barrel is 40mm, would the shell stay in the barrel because of the little ridge on the back of it, so it wouldn't fall all the way into the barrel?

I have never done any projects like this, I just came up with this idea(and I've never inspected an m203 grenade, I just think I know how they work) and I'm not even sure I will do it. But if I see a lot of help and encouragement, I might, but it already entails a $50 project fee for a grenade, and I know no one I can borrow grenades from.

The main reasons for doing this project is:

1. So I can have something to show off and say I made myself

2. To learn how to build things

3. Because it is supposed to be cheaper than a brand-name launcher

Question, would having a longer barrel have any effect on the spread of the bb's?

And what type of wood should I use?(I have a scroll saw)

I have another question. How much do you think this will cost?

And another thing. I don't want to pay $50 for a shell, so if anyone has a shell(Anyone in the US, UK shipping would be too much) for cheap/free, I'll pay S/H for it and then I can get started.

The tools I have immediate access to are a scroll saw, a hack saw, bow saw, files, sandpaper, a drill. I also have a grandfather who likes to make stuff out of wood, so if I really need it I can ask his help.

This was also posted on ASF, if you would like you can post there too, and I suggest you read it anyways: http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/index.php?showtopic=51456

Thanks for help/criticism in advance.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the barrel __might_ decrease the spread to some extent ... but dont bet on it.

the plans look sound anyways :-)

the grenade would stay in the tube.

use cheap wood! since this is your first project :-)

cost ... hmm ... $10 maybe...

buy a shell! see if you can get a used one. you can always use the shell as is untill your launcher is finished *evil grin*

the barrel __might_ decrease the spread to some extent ...  but dont bet on it.

the plans look sound anyways :-)

the grenade would stay in the tube.

use cheap wood! since this is your first project :-)

cost ... hmm ... $10 maybe...

buy a shell! see if you can get a used one. you can always use the shell as is untill your launcher is finished *evil grin*

Thanks, what kind of wood?

One thing to note--since your design appears to just use finger pressure to fire the shell, you should consider making an actual hammer-fired design. Pushing with your finger (through the trigger) could make it misfire, losing velocity etc.

I like the first design better--the barrel seals better, and it's less complicated. And you don't have to worry about different ammo (in case you use some of the longer shells).

One thing to note--since your design appears to just use finger pressure to fire the shell, you should consider making an actual hammer-fired design.  Pushing with your finger (through the trigger) could make it misfire, losing velocity etc.

I like the first design better--the barrel seals better, and it's less complicated.  And you don't have to worry about different ammo (in case you use some of the longer shells).

I thought to fire the shell all it had to do was use pressure, not necassarily a bunch of force at once. I assumed that no matter how the button was pressed, it would fire.

And why does it need air seal? The only time it needs it is to come out from the shell. The barrel is there to make the spread smaller.

Thats correct, whatever the way you put pressure on it as long as its enough it will fire

So what was tahoe talking about???

Anyways, another version came to mind, this time incorporating a bolt. It would be more durable than V1, more effective at holding the shell than v2. so far I believe its the best.

grenaderiflev3vw2.gif

the bolt slides forwards and backwards to allow entry/exit of the shell.

comments/help appreciate very much.

The first design is by far the best. It works and it doesn't add more complicated parts then needed, imho.

It would be much less durable than the other ones, the barrel is only attached to the stock by a hinge. That's why I wanted to have a v2, but v2's shell-holding mechanism would be too loose/weak, so then I came up with v3, but the weakness of that is that it would be harder to make. If anyone has a way to improve/simplify any of the designs, post.

For wood,

Might go with some poplar-nice and cheap, easy to work with,stains well

plywood-if you need flat sheets

Thanks, I have some plywood, I might make the trigger/hammer out of it, but probably not the stock. Too skinny and I don't want to slap pieces together.

Now this 'poplar' you speak of... is it durable enough to be the stock/grip of a gun? it may have to withstand knocks, my arena is like that.

Also, what kind of Madbull grenade should i go for? what i can get is anything from AEX.

not being funny mate just why not BUY the CAW m79.

its exaclty what your after

This=$20.

M79=$300.

Also, my local hardware store carries NOTHING in ~40mm diameter. it goes from 1.5 inches to 2.0, and i can't really work with either.

Any ideas? And nothing that will cost more than a brand name m203 launcher.

Uh becuase the M79 costs a pretty penny for those of us on smaller budgets, not trying to be rude sounding or anything, but yeah, its kinda expensive for some. I'll make no bones about it, its a great little thing but $250(or more) +shipping ain't fun.

Doop-yes its plenty strong, if you go to home depot and ask for some help there, the guys in my area have always been more than willing to help me out. You might get dings/dents if its "beaten up" but it won't snap unless it's put together incorrectly. Put it this way, did a woods project at school, namely a stool, out of poplar, teacher whos 300 pds stood on it, didn't break.

Other Choices:

Maple,Cherry,Walnut-Gonna pay a higher price for these but the end product will look nicer, standards for home furniture, very hard woods but are tough as heck. Not sure if Home Depot stocks these, probably depends on area.

Pine-Cheapest wood probably, little weaker than poplar but will still stand up to the task. Easier to work with than Maple,Cherry or Walnuts.

Just curious, have you done wood work before in any context?

EDIT:

Just read your topic from ASF and have this to add, its not 40mm, its about 1.6 Inches, but that sounds a bit small, I have a M203 at home and have shot shells and I didn't think it was THAT small. FOCK(yes FOCK not F*ck) wheres my ruler when I need it.. Did you get the shell yet? If not, opt for one of the larger variants of the madbull, I like the fully gold colored one, holds a lot of ammo and gas. If you get the shell, make measurements based on that, and go aback to homedepot.

I built a PVC launcher as a physics project that shot those nerf rockets that also fit down the tube of a 203, sh*t, I can't remember if I used 1 1/2 inch PVC or 2" PVC, I *THINK* it was 2" becuase I used a 2" ball valve. If you have a bit of $$$, get some 1 1/2 inch and some 2 inch.

EDIT II:

Stick with PVC, its a helluva a lot easier to work with and a helluva a lot cheaper too.

Thats my sentiments too mate, I am trying a very similar project, in fact pretty much the same. I have an old air rifle stock for my base though. But your first design is pretty much the same as my idea (exept that I am using 27mm grenades). Let us know how you get on. I think your fist design is best as it is simple and efficiant. Blots and hatches would just seem to me to be making a simple job more complex for no real reason.

Just curious, have you done wood work before in any context?

EDIT:

Just read your topic from ASF and have this to add, its not 40mm, its about 1.6 Inches, but that sounds a bit small, I have a M203 at home and have shot shells and I didn't think it was THAT small. FOCK(yes FOCK not F*ck) wheres my ruler when I need it.. Did you get the shell yet? If not, opt for one of the larger variants of the madbull, I like the fully gold colored one, holds a lot of ammo and gas. If you get the shell, make measurements based on that, and go aback to homedepot.

I built a PVC launcher as a physics project that shot those nerf rockets that also fit down the tube of a 203, sh*t, I can't remember if I used 1 1/2 inch PVC or 2" PVC, I *THINK* it was 2" becuase I used a 2" ball valve. If you have a bit of $$$, get some 1 1/2 inch and some 2 inch.

EDIT II:

Stick with PVC,  its a helluva a lot easier to work with and a helluva a lot cheaper too.

Actually it is exactly 40mm, that's the measurement of real ones and airsoft ones. However, 1.6 inches is very close(1.57 is 40mm) and 1.6 inch PVC would work.

The thing is, nerf is made out of foam, which is flexible, could fit into a smaller tube than the actual diameter.

Archived