M203 Grenade Launcher rifle

doopydoo

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry project on hold- I was making a bow, two actually, both snapped before full draw. I gave up.

So anyways, I haven't really done anything, except design the internals, but I want to know what coating I should have. I'm going to give it walnut finish and then I need a protective coating. I had used polyurethane before, but I lost my can of it. What should I get?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sad news, folks.

Prototype 1 will not work. I drilled the holes for the trigger/hammer so that it's skew. the three layers of wood are about 2-3mm askew. Also, I made the gap where the trigger spring fits into the grip in the wrong place. This is because the trigger pivots at a very high angle, and the spring will just bind up. This version fails.

However, I may make another one later, and I'll be sure to put the trigger farther forward, and drill it perpendicular to the wood. Also 1.5 inches is kind of thick, I'll make the next version thinner.

• 9 months later...

REVIVAL TIME

I had 3 epiphanies:

I can fix the trigger axle

I should attach the layers with nails

I need to change the spring tunnel

And I did all that. The receiver is in one piece and the trigger mech works. Check it out.

p2180873xy8.jpg

p2180872hs6.jpg

p2180876cx0.jpg

p2180874xu9.jpg

Instead of safety, I just have a very very tough trigger pull, at least 3x a normal trigger. I used two springs. There's 6 nails being used as pins to hold the body together. I still have a long way to go but this time hopefully I can finish it.

For anyone who cares:

p2200883nx3.jpg

Contoured grip, quite comfy now

p2200881vj3.jpg

Two hinges for maximum strength, and it's fairly sturdy now

p2200880sw5.jpg

And yes it does look awesome

p2200882zx6.jpg

I contoured the grips, built the break barrel mechanism, reinforced it, took out the other spring so it has lower trigger pull, and contoured the trigger and firing pin. It works completely except for a barrel locking mechanism. That should be easy, and then all I have to do is stain and finish it. I'd say about 80% done.

That is truly awesome!

Kinda has a "cartoon" chunkyness about it... Like Yosemite Sam would wield a pair of them or something!

I was contemplating using one of those disposable compressed air confetti cannons, slightly modified with a foam rocket as a LAW style fire and ditch thing...

doopydoo I hope you dont mind, but I'm building a 6 shot revolving grenade launcher off your trigger mechanisms.

Sounds good, just have to let me see it when you're done.

That is truly awesome!

Kinda has a "cartoon" chunkyness about it... Like Yosemite Sam would wield a pair of them or something!

I was contemplating using one of those disposable compressed air confetti cannons, slightly modified with a foam rocket as a LAW style fire and ditch thing...

I wasn't going for cartoonyness, but I guess when you look at it like that I can see it.

LAW sounds good, ditching it is realistic but I wouldn't actually do that, most of us can't afford to buy a new one every time...

There's only one spring in there, the trigger spring. It's in the pic a few posts up. There's two in the pic, now there's one.

I used poplar as the wood, and so far it's working well and I like the grain, but I'm worried about durability.

Yea, but is the single spring the one that fits to the right of the trigger or more on top. Whats wrong with the durability? I was thinking of using oak. Oh btw, great job on smoothing out the contours of the handle etc. Did you use a sander?

Nvm, oak is hella expensive. What wood to use..

Yea, but is the single spring the one that fits to the right of the trigger or more on top. Whats wrong with the durability? I was thinking of using oak. Oh btw, great job on smoothing out the contours of the handle etc. Did you use a sander?

Nvm, oak is hella expensive. What wood to use..

Check Home Depot, for another project (bow, as in bow and arrow) I bought some for cheap, but it didn't end up so well, as oak doesn't have a lot of elasticity. It would probably be ok for this project, but the grain is bigger so you can't do as precise woodworking. I'd say maple would be best if you can afford it, but that stuff is really expensive. I'm using it for making a bass guitar and it's good stuff though.

I used a dremel knock off for the contours, it's like a 220 piece kit on amazon for $23 or so. Really good deal considering a brand name kit that big would be like $80, and it works just as well.

The spring is on top of the trigger, the other hole is there because I misjudged how it would pivot.

The thing with poplar is it's a softwood, so it's naturally not going to be as durable as a hardwood. The pin holes and screw holes might enlarge over time and be unusable, or the hinges might break off, or who knows what else. All that is a lot less likely to happen with a hardwood.

I wasn't going for cartoonyness, but I guess when you look at it like that I can see it.

Its probably just me, or maybe its cause I don't get a sense of scale from the pics, but I'm imagining it as a mahoosive pistol!

LAW sounds good, ditching it is realistic but I wouldn't actually do that, most of us can't afford to buy a new one every time...

This idea of using the disposable air-powered confetti cannons to power a basic weapon comes from me having next to no money to spend on little projects like this...

They throw paper shreds (no mass, lots of air resistance) a fair distance, so I wanna know if they'll throw a little rocket!

Its probably just me, or maybe its cause I don't get a sense of scale from the pics, but I'm imagining it as a mahoosive pistol!

This idea of using the disposable air-powered confetti cannons to power a basic weapon comes from me having next to no money to spend on little projects like this...

They throw paper shreds (no mass, lots of air resistance) a fair distance, so I wanna know if they'll throw a little rocket!

You're right, It's really a mahoosive pistol, 15" from tip of barrel to end of grip, but it's very light and doesn't look oversized in my hand, except for the barrel.

I still think building this is more monetarily responsible if you use it more than 3 times in it's life... The wood cost about $12 and another 10 for the hardware, and a 10' length of pipe was $5, and I can make many more out of that one pipe. It also probably looks a bit more professional, bar the cartoonyness, but that's another issue.

Archived