I recall, a while back (before you had to be a member to view the forums), Arnie said he wasn't going to bother to update the format for the sales forums because the VCRB would soon put an end to most of the sales anyway.

So.....

Having achieved an excemption from the VCRB, is it about time somebody had a look at updating the sales forums?

The sales forums on ASCUK are MUCH better laid out, with seperate secions for AEGS, gas and kit.

Given that it now isn't a waste of time, perhaps it's now worth updating arnies sales forums?

Stealthbomber has a point, but i also aggree with 5th_Element

When there is nothing particular i want to buy, but i just want to browse, the current layout is the best.

But when I want somehting inparticular, it would be better if it was split up.

How about split it up in different subforums, but make an extra subforum, where everything is listed (so it suits everyone).

Thanks

As I understand it, we're moving over to this auction-style system before long, and closing down the old sales method. If so then there's not much point in making the amendments.

However if we're not then I fully agree that this is a worthwhile amendment. I know Arnie is planning several changes over upcoming months, so we'll all just have to wait and see what they are. :)

I have to agree with Stealth here :) - The way ASCUK have set up their for sale forum, is a work of genius :P (well not quite) But when comparing to Arnies, I do get quite frustrated :(

Over on the other forums, Aegs arnt mixed up with gear, or pistols with the Accessories - Its far easier to navigate :D

As for the new "Auction" Syle setup - And this is purely my opinion! I think its rubbish :P I dont think that if you shut down the current "for sale" areas it is going to be a hit :(

Again - Thats just my opinion on the matter :)

Edited by kliskey

I think at the end of the day if everyone things the new approach is rubbish, the best thing to do is to let Arnie know about it (maybe a petition or whatever if you fancy).

As I've seen thus far, most people are more than happy to have a quiet whine about the system but no-one is prepared to do anything pro-active about the matter (seems to be a British tendency...). If most people want to see something like the current system with amendments rather than the new method, why not actually show Arnie that this is the case?

Just a thought anyway.

Hehe, fair enough, I can appreciate that.

Arnie really isn't that kind of guy however. I have to say he's perhaps the most tolerant member of staff on this forum. As long as it's clear that you're trying to offer constructive criticism rather than destructive (which sadly he has all too much of), I'm sure he'd be more than happy to hear people's thoughts.

After all, if most people think the same as you, I'm sure the last thing Arnie would want is to alienate all you guys with a system you didn't like. :)

P.S. Have we had this conversation before? I just had a bizarre sense of deja-vu... :mellow:

Personally, I took a quick look at the auction forum-thing and then never bothered again.

Auctions are fickle at the best of times and, when you mix in the sometimes, erm.. volatile, nature of airsoft forum users, I reckon the whole thing would become a recipe for disaster.

Beyond that, I can't really see why an auction couldn't be carried out under the current system.

Surely it's possible to post an item for sale and invite offers for 7 days, at which time the item will be sold to the highest bidder?

If Arnies changes over completely to auctions then I suspect that most UK airsoft trading would move to the ASCUK forums.

Sorry if that sounds threatening or argumentative. I honestly don't mean it like that.

I just reckon that most people will prefer to make a definate purchase rather than engage in an auction which might last a week with no guarantee of them getting the item they want.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing that occured to me...

Is there any way that you could create a dropdown box in the post-new-thread menu so that people could select AEG, GBB, Springer, Gear etc as a subject?

When a viewer looks at the forums they could sort it by date or Subject and so either get the most recent items OR get items sorted by category?

I have no idea how hard this would be to impliment. I just mention is as a suggestion if somebody is planning changes. :)

Don't change it.

As a buyer and mainly as a seller I prefer that I have to announce a price and allow people to make offers.

Being able to put something up without a definite price causes alot more hassle for the buyer, as well as the possibility of someone overpaying for an item for lack of knowledge of the price of upgrades, and without taking into account the possible wear and lack of warranty.

Some people may say it's their own fault if they overpay for an item, but I for one am totally against a seller's market.

i have to agrree with kliskey on this on, it's not all that good.

i bothered with putting about 5 or 7 items on it, and they all got sold through the forums rather then the auction system.

i've replied to adds, and never gotten a reply back, imho seem to like forums, an easier and perhaps safer enviroment to deal in.

Offcourse, it cant be questioned that it doesn't work at all, because obviously stuff has been sold on there, so the suggestion to just retain both would probably be the best solution.