Star FN FNC Shorty

This is a review of the recently released Star FN FNC Shorty. I received mine about 10 days ago and I have had a chance to have a good play with it to see the pro's and con's. the review that follows is based on my experiences with my Shorty.

first up some pictures because everyone loves pictures.

the boxed weapon

thebox.jpg

My example didn't come with any documentation, which made stripping it down a bit of a pain, but you can download the manual from the Star website now.

as you can see the box contains a FN FNC shorty, a Midcap Magazine and a loading rod. it is held in place by heavy duty black foam and nothing rattles about. Well done star for producing a no nonsense box that does the job of securing the AEG for transport.

Next up is a couple of picture of the AEG out of the box, in both folded and unfolded configuration.

shortyfoldedrighthandside.jpg

shortyfoldedlefthandside.jpg

Shortyrighthandside.jpg

Shortylefthandside.jpg

My first impression of this gun was "wow! this is one heavy well built AEG". No joke it is all metal and a lot of that is cast so as you can imagine it weighs quite a bit.

bottom receiver, stock and front sight block are cast in metal and are very thick which gives the AEG it's weight.

the rest of the gun is mostly metal. The only parts that are plastic are the foregrips, the pistol grip and the gearbox.

OK NOW FOR A WARNING. Do Not Cock This AEG and Let The Cocking Handle Shoot Forward!!

If you do this the cocking handle will most probably snap off. This is the only bad design of this AEG but it's a bit of a bugger.(come on Star sort it out)

As you can probably guess mine snapped off. I cocked it about 4 times and the screw that holds the cocking lever to the bolt snapped off and I had to drill it out to fit a new screw which proceeded to do the same thing. so off i went and cast some more in white metal. (I am waiting on a replacement from the company that I bought it from, who incidently told me over the phone that mine wasn't the only one with this problem).

The replacement Cocking handles

brokenbolt.jpg

Here are a few more pictures of the AEG

fieldstripped.jpg

thehop.jpg

thestockcatch.jpg

theboltcockedallthewayback.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

selectorswitch.jpg

receiveragain.jpg

foregrip.jpg

foregripremoved.jpg

flashhider.jpg

Now the only difference that i can see between the Shorty and the full length version is the Barrel length. the front of the shorty can be removed and a Full FNC barrel could be added to swap between the different models. The thread is a +14mm one and heres a picture of it removed

barrelremoved.jpg

the magazine is a Midcap and i managed to squeeze 100 BB's into it. it's very similar to the Star L85 mags but has a different base plate which can be seen below. It is armalite type magazine and i can confirm that all my M4 mags fit and feed well in the Shorty. One thing of notice was how loose the magazine was in the magwell. it's loose enough to rattle about so for skirmishing a bit of tape around the mags wouldn't be out of place.

themagazine.jpg

bottomofmag.jpg

Ok well thats the externals. How does it shoot? what is it like to fire? what is the gearbox like?

Mine is firing at 380 FPS out the box and looks like it could be downgraded quite easily as the Star plastic gearboxes usually are. It's a bit of a dream to fire, the 3 round mechanical burst feature is excellent. I can't stress this enough. it's Friggin Brilliant. Not only is a good for conserving ammo but it's great fun aswell.

The gearbox is another Plastic one from Star and I have two other AEG's with this gearbox and I have had no problems what so ever with any of them so I can't see this one being any different.

The selector switch is a real smooth operation. it's switches into all the firing positions

with a nice click and is solid. I have never used an AEG with a selector switch which feels so good.

Overall I like the Star FN FNC Shorty. If Star can resolve the cocking handle issue then in my eyes they have a winner here. It looks great, Fires great, weighs a ton but just remember to not cock it.

Well that's it, any questions then feel free to ask!

Edited by mightyjebus

are you sure the admins/mods aren't going to bad mad cos it's not airsoft ? if they agree with me posting pics of a rs : sure i'll post some , but i don't want to upset the admins and mods

or i could just send you some real steel pics via pm if that is possible and you want me to

and i think i said something unclear : what i meant to say is that would anybody like some pics of a rs one to compare with the star one

Edited by fnfr3ger

I'm very familiar with the swedish version of the FNC (AK5). But it would be nice to see some RS-pics of the FNC and compare them with the AS-FNC, as I'm sure there are diffrences.

Would be nice to have the pics in the thread for everyone to watch. If that's ok with the admins/mods. Otherwise I would very much appriciate a few RS-pics via PM.

:D

finally i think that i've found someone who likes the fnc as much as i do :D

and i will take some more pics for you , but remeber it is the military version

but from what parts do i have to take a pic for you ?

greetz from another fnc (and all of it's versions) lover

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder this too. Does it have the quick-change spring system of the other STARs, or am I gonna have to strip it all down as soon as I get it to switch the spring out?

I watched Heat again last night (fatal...) so guess what my next AEG may very well be ;)

Firesupport and Zero One has them for about £320 or something like 600 USD. WGC or Gunnerairsoft will sell them for less, much less, like 400 USD. I was hoping that Star would release them all at the same time or allmost at the same time at least.

And as, to me, Star seem reluctant to sell them by not shipping to any of the asian retailers. I might as well just go for the VFC- or G&G-versions due sometime next year. Hopefully they will put them on the market in a more ordinary fashion.

Besides Star has a plastic gearbox. Don't know about the other manufaturers just yet, but a plastic gearbox just sounds wrong in the sence that I would presume it'll break easier...

Care to share where you got this information?

http://www.gb-tech.com.tw/VFC_Coming%20Soon(E).htm

Mailed VFC some time ago and asked. They said "sometime next year".

There's a swedish company called Unreal Steel, which have very good relations with G&G. According to US, G&G have a FNC in progress.

http://www.airsoftsverige.com/forum/viewto...ht=ak5&start=60