Armalite Picture Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Sgt. Carter since no one seems to be answering your questions I'll help, the first silencer appears to be a King Arms Delta Force silencer, the second silencer is an OPS silencer, it goes over the barrel and locks onto the bayonet lug, its available in a variety of lengths.

Glad to help.

I have a question for anyone that owns this particular M.R.E. RAS kit from King Arms: http://www.kingarms.com/productpage.asp?prodid=445

I'd like to know what the inner diameter of the front tube is. I'm looking to possibly fit this into a project where the suppressor would have to go inside the front portion of the M.R.E., and I would like to know what size it would accommodate. Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer this!

So i finally got my metal body installed. Ill get pics when i get home tonight.

Only problem I had was i cant get the CA delta ring on the G&P reciever. Oh well, i want a freefloat RAS anyway. King Arms is making a Troy style one, ill probably get that

Means there is no ring near the front sight post to hold the rai on. Essentially the Rail system is not touching the barrel or making contact with the barrel what so ever.

To expand on that topic, the benefit of having a free float is that the barrel is unaffected by the handguard. With the old system, operators were having to place so many accessories on their RIS handguards (PEQ, vertical hand grips, flashlights etc.) that the handguard was bending ever so slightly which in turn bent the barrel ever so slightly as well. By using a free float hand guard, the barrel is unaffected by the hand guard as the two never come in contact. Therefore, any bending in the hand guard will not adversely affect the barrel.

btw can anyone suggest a good Magazine catch, my CA one is a super tight fit into the G&P body and isnt functioning correctly

This might be a bit obvious matey, but If I ever have any trouble with parts fitting, a good bet is a Marui one, as most of these parts fit in aftermarket items. Thats just my logic anyway, and as its only a cheap part its not the end of the world if it doesn't!

The main reason for a free float is not because of heavy add-ons but to allow the barrel to vibrate naturally upon firing and so become more accurate. Anything that comes into contact with the barrel upsets its natural frequency(it wobbles like a saw blade when fired). It's the same reason non RAS/AR sniper rifles e.g. bolt actions have the barrel mounted without contact to any part of the stock etc.

This mainly comes from sniper rifles etc but has spread generally to other weapons.

Edited by Tommygunn
The main reason for a free float is not because of heavy add-ons but to allow the barrel to vibrate naturally upon firing and so become more accurate. Anything that comes into contact with the barrel upsets its natural frequency(it wobbles like a saw blade when fired). It's the same reason non RAS/AR sniper rifles e.g. bolt actions have the barrel mounted without contact to any part of the stock etc.

This mainly comes from sniper rifles etc but has spread generally to other weapons.

Interesting! I wasn't aware of that. I got my info from a book that I read a while back. Can't find the book right now, but this website says something similar to what I was trying to convey:

http://www.quarterbore.com/kac/kacffras.html

Knight's answer to the MWS are very versatile due to the presence of the MIL-STD-1913 rails built into the grips of the SR-15 (AR-15) and SR-25 weapon systems. This has allowed for the standardization of mounting systems used to mount various accessories including lasers, lights, grips, slings, optics, and much more! The disadvantage of adding all of these accessories to a traditional RIS or RAS system is that these items can weigh a considerable amount. This weight is transferred to the barrel to the extent that the accuracy of the weapon system itself is affected. This issue has been addressed by the Free Float RAS because of a very sturdy all metal construction.

The Free Floating RAS system combines the basic utilitarian nature of the traditional RIS/RAS with a Free Floating Match style tube that allows all the weight of the accessories that are mounted on the forend tube to be supported by the receiver at the barrel nut so as to not cause any flexing of the barrel because of weight transferred from the forend.

But the point you've brought up seems very valid as well. Thanks for the info!

It is perfectly feasable that a plethora of bits & bobs on the RIS or RAS could impinge on the barrel. However, I think this would be less of a concern, if at all, with a standard infantry rifle, or, indeed, a CQBR :D .

One of the main problems would be in an AR type sniper rifle in which you would use a minimum of rail accesories but would have a bipod attached to the RIS/RAS. Since the bipod is towards the muzzle you would have a lot of mechanical leverage so it would be a great advantage to have the barrel free floating in case of any barrel shroud deflection.