Armalite Picture Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really sure what's going on, but I attribute it to the overhaul that Arnie's is doing, but for some reason I can't make a new topic, so I'm just going to ask my question in here in hopes of getting a response. Please don't flame me...

Will the Magpul Ranger Floor/L Plates work with CA M16 mid-caps?

How are they installed?

Will the Magpul Ranger Floor/L Plates work with CA M16 mid-caps?

How are they installed?

They should work. Because you mention the Magpul Ranger & L Plates in the same sentence, I assume you're talking about the RS Magpuls, and not the Airsoft Magpuls. Is there a difference? Yes. While I can't speak for the L Plates, I've used both the RS Ranger Magpuls, and the Airsoft Ranger Magpuls. Installation is slightly different between the two.

What matters is how the airsoft magazine itself is assembled. If you look at the bottom of your CA mid-caps, look at the floor plate there. Near the rear of that floor plate, there is either a hole or a screw. That hole is present in RS mags to allow dirt and water to drain out the bottom. On Airsoft mags, that hole is present as well, however, with some mid-cap mags like G&P's mid-caps and pretty much all hi-caps (regardless of brand) that hole has a screw in it.

gpmagm16130vr5.jpg

That screw is necessary as it holds the magazine's plastic innards within the metal outer shell. Magazines that do not use this approach, instead have tabs on the sides of the mag's plastic innards which lock into corresponding holes on the metal shell. These are how TM mags are assembled:

m1668magso5.jpg

Then there are some M16 mags out there that use both methods, plastic tabs and a screw at the bottom, to lock the magazine components together (e.g. Star mid-caps and most hi-caps).

I don't seem to recall CA making mid-caps, just standard-caps (68 rounders) and hi-caps (300 rounders), so I assume you speak of the CA standard-caps which do not have a screw at the bottom and use the plastic tabs on the side to lock everything together.

Now why is all this important? Well, RS Ranger/L Magpuls and Airsoft Ranger Magpuls lock onto the bottom of the mag slightly differently:

RS Magpuls have two parts, the loop (the part you grip) and the floorplate lock (the part that goes into the bottom of the mag that locks the loop in place). RS Magpuls work with standard-caps and mid-caps that do not use the screw method to lock the mags plastic innards in place (i.e. it uses tabs), or with mags that that use both tabs and screws. This is because the RS Ranger Magpul doesn't allow for the screw method because the floorplate lock is blocking the screw hole so the plastic innards must be held inside the outer shell with the tabs.

Here's a tutorial on how to install the RS Ranger Magpuls onto RS Mags. The approach to installing them on a Airsoft standard-cap mag is the same, except you will have to file off around 2mm off the bottom of the mag's plastic innards (to make space for the floorplate lock). The easiest way to do this is to pull out the plastic innards from the mag, install the RS Ranger/L Magpul, file off a little off the bottom of the mag's plastic innards, insert it into the shell. If it doesn't fit, you'll have to file off a little more. Repeat until it slids all the way in and the tabs lock in place.

Airsoft Magpuls have basically one major part the loop (the part that you grip), a replacement screw, and a small plug. They're made for Hi-caps, however, they will work with any mag that uses the bottom screw locking method, and that usually includes most Mid-caps. To install the airsoft one, the bottom screw on the mag is removed, the floor plate is slid out, the Airsoft Ranger Magpul is slid on the bottom of the mag, the replacement screw (which you will notice is longer than the mag's original screw) is screwed through the Magpul into the mag's plastic innards (locking the Magpul in place and securing the mag's parts together), and finally the small rubber plug is inserted into the Magpul where the screw went into covering/plugging up the screw hole. It's a very quick installation, and can be done in about a minute or less.

Here's a really good site on RS Ranger Plates on Airsoft Mags.

I did a small write up on the Airsoft Magpuls here.

So in conclusion, based on the fact that you are using CA Standard-Caps, You will probably want to go with the RS Ranger or L Magpuls.

Good luck!

How's that funny?  I've seen pictures of Canadians doing a similar setup with their C7 and C8 carbines.  However, instead of using the flip up sights, they use the fixed BUIS. I've seen it done to Elcans and some ACOGs.

i can see why they would put a fixed BUIS in front of a scope if they don't have anywhere else to put it, BUT, why would anyone put a flip-up buis in front of a magnified scope w/ crosshairs. That negates the purpose of the "flip up" part. Having a BUIS in front of any scope does not make target aquisition any easier in distance, and its equally useless close up, because you still have to contend with the magnification of your scope.

I'm sure those troops have their justifications in doing so, i just want to hear why this airsofter choose to do this?

I laughed at that pic too..

Best mag-puls Ive used...window sash cord and duct tape. Guerilla pimpin'!

Now I usually utterly HATE posting pics of my sticklebrick (CA M15a4 CQB Compact SEAL) because swapping stuff round on rails does not constitute customisation in my book. But I think I have now completed the ultimate CQB Armalite:

Guns049.jpg

Guns056.jpg

Outside:

CA RIS monster. G&P Aimpoint replica with Corner Engage. CA tac light. G&P QD sling point. G&P 'AK' folding foregrip. G&P folding front sight replaces the fixed RIS one. Unknown make mag clamp. Cut down CA RIS covers hide the rest of the horrid sticklebrick. Proud 100mm clamp-on suppressor. Just waiting for flip covers for the Aimpoint and tac light now.

Inside:

GP 2-line 9.6v battery from A2. G&P 7mm bearing gearbox (the CA original snapped). Fuse removed for higher speed.

It is fast as heck, though I think im going to get a bulk buy of replacement gearboxes! Apart from the new g/b, Ive not had to touch the internals. I reckon this is about as good as it gets for indoor gaming, everything has its place.

BTW, the flip-up sights are for if/when the Aimpoint gets shot out :lol:

Edited by GuzziHero

wow that kinda makes me want to keep my front end and mod it like that ! love the gun it looks like a beast and i think the internals of the compact SEAL are fine the way they are. when you remove the dust cover like you have and just reveal the ejection port do you still see the little yellow hop up adjuster?it does on mine :mellow:

Edited by jack10