Armalite Picture Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I fancy that wood there. Maybe try something like English or Turkish Walnut...or better yet, I'd like to see what it would look like in birdseye or quilted maple. :mellow:

some new pics, ive just added some striping to the paint work to lighten it slightly and further break the pattern up,

17-05-07_1957.jpg

17-05-07_1953.jpg

17-05-07_1959.jpg

17-05-07_1958.jpg

the rifle is nearly complete, just waiting to get my new m120 big bore top end and then it finished

comments??

regards.......kwiky

some new pics, ive just added some striping to the paint work to lighten it slightly and further break the pattern up,

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j90/kwik...-05-07_1957.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j90/kwik...-05-07_1953.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j90/kwik...-05-07_1959.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j90/kwik...-05-07_1958.jpg

the rifle is nearly complete, just waiting to get my new m120 big bore top end and then it finished

comments??

regards.......kwiky

I think I'm in love, thats one of the best paintjobs I've seen ever.

How long did it take to do?

I think I'm in love, thats one of the best paintjobs I've seen ever.

How long did it take to do?

thanks everyone,

its hard to say exactly because ive been working on it slowly for a while, constantly modifying it, but if someone handed me a gun and asked me to paint it from scratch i'd guess it would be finished in 2-3 hours, thats including waiting for the paint to dry between coats,

the best bit is the cost, i didnt use any fancy krylon so it was really cheap to do,

in total it cost me under £10

seeing as a few people have commented heres how i did it,

i used:

olive drab tamiya spraypaint (£3)

homebase matt buddha (brown) emulsion (tester pot 99p)

humbrol khaki enamel (99p)

humbrol sand enamel (99p)

humbrol nato green enamel (99p)

humbrol matt black (99p)

right first off, yes emulsion!! people always laugh when i tell them but i have found it just as hard wearing as the tamiya spraypaint and it's very cheap, it doesnt flake, crack or peel off any more than any of the paints ive used and even in places it has chipped its been the tamiya undercoat thats come off taking the emulsion with it and leaving the rifles origional black finish showing,

i sprayed the whole thing olive drab and then used a small sponge to apply the brown emulsion and the sand humbrol, i used a dabbing motion to blend the colours together and get my rough base pattern

24-03-07_1404.jpg

as you can see it looked very bright so i lightly added khaki over the top and mixed a little brown paint with a tiny dab of black and sponged them on aswell, i didnt use as much paint this time though so a little of the lighter colours underneath were still visable, this added a little depth to the finish, i then re sprayed the olive bits to blend the colours together further

01-05-07_1315.jpg

i skirmished with it like that for a few weeks but it was too dark overall, looking at photo's of me using the gun in the field i realised that the olive was just too dark compared to the foliage at my site, i needed to lighten it without making it look like a toy (or a kawasaki motorcycle)

i mixed up some lighter green using the nato green and the sand humbrol and applied it in thin rough broken stripes to the olive areas using a small paintbrush and then smudging it with my fingers, i liked the effect i got so much that i then went over the whole rifle using the sand paint, to add even more contrast and break the colours up further i then did the same with the matt black.

17-05-07_1957.jpg

as you can see on the last pic i used the same amount of each colour to do the striping but the human eye is a funny old thing so on the light areas of the pattern(green and khaki) you see the black stripes more and on the brown areas you see the sand, at anything over a few feet your eyes can no longer see any stripes and just blurrs all the colours together into a random broken pattern

well thats the theory anyway, we'll see if it works once i get it onto the skirmish field, i'll get some pictures while im there so you can judge its effectiveness for yourselves

regards........kwiky

*edit*

ive only just realised that there is a thread dedicated to painted weapons, my apologies to anyone who isnt interested in how i painted it, i maybe should of posted it in there instead of taking up so much room in this thread

Edited by kwiky
ive only just realised that there is a thread dedicated to painted weapons, my apologies to anyone who isnt interested in how i painted it, i maybe should of posted it in there instead of taking up so much room in this thread

Not at all. It's just what this thread needed. If it was cr@p, then maybe it would have wasted space... but it's not. You did an excellent job! ;)

Hey! I'm kinda new to the forums. Anyway... here's my A&K S-System with a Marui plastic reciever and whited out trades. Homemade silencers FTW.

p1030073hc1.jpg

p1030070kh1.jpg

I just bought a G&P Aimpoint replica, a G&P VN mag and a G&P Bungee sling + swivel thingy. When I get my camera back I'll update with pics.

My M16A4 with ACOG&Killflash, nevermind that nasty orange flashider, got a metal one on it now

CIMG1909.jpg

CIMG1908.jpg

Marui M16a2

Marui M4 Upper

Tn Barrel

One Piece All Steel Outer Barrel

CA M5 RIS

G&P ACOG with REAL STEEL KILLFLASH