Armalite Picture Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently in the process of getting some proper primer for the receiver, so I've been busy stripping the paint off. While I was at it, I tried (as an intermediate project) getting an old worn look (Like the XMs or GAU/GUU carbines). I used gun blue (took a while since Aluminum can't really get blued).

I say it's a "GUU-5/P" Carbine (old lower with refitted M4A1 upper). For a quick fact info session, the GAU/GUU designation is used by the US Air Force for their carbines (mostly old XM carbines). They have also been refitted with newer uppers (ie: the M4A1) and have been re-designated as GUU-5/P. Although most of AFSOC switched out to actual M4A1 carbines, a few of the PJ guys still carry GUU-5/Ps.

Ok, maybe my Carbine's not quite a GAU/GUU-5 carbine since the real one uses A1 lowers, but I was experimenting the "old worn" look. I think it'll look pretty good with A1 and XM receivers out there. It might be able to work with AK bodies as well.

"GUU-5/P" with refitted standard M4A1 upper.

gua5oppkm3.jpg

"GUU-5/P" with refitted SOPMOD M4A1 upper.

sopmodgua5oppck5.jpg

sopmodwithapsideip9.jpg

flashcloseve5.jpg

This was the look I was going for...

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/5806/xm...ealsteeltb1.jpg

Edited by Souske
I love it mate!

Just out of curiosity, is that a Surefire G3 flash light?

Yep. That it is. I added a diffuser lens cover as well.

I'll be swapping out the flip front sight soon though, as it's too high for co-witness use. This is one of 2 CQB gun projects I've been working on. The next one should be completed in the next couple of weeks.

Nice. How you liking that G3? How bright is it? I've been thinking about picking one up myself! ;)

Cheers!

At 105 Lumens, I'd say it's pretty bright! Everyone, including myself, sees spots for quite a bit after looking at it dead-on. This is during the day, in the office too! At night, the light has quite the reach. This has got to be the best bang for your SureFire buck. I just need to get a pressure switch for it, and possibly rework my mount idea.

Thanks!

(un)cooldude, nice AR!  I never think I'll hear myself say this, but that short full stock actually looks good on it.

Thanks Souske. I've actually had 2 CQB guns planned out in my head for quite some time. I've been putting together all the parts to build them for about 2 months now, ever since I saw the shorty stock that G&P put out. It's the same length as a standard collapsible M4 stock when it's fully collapsed, has a nice, thin profile, and can fit a good sized battery pack. I'm over 6 feet, with a decent wingspan, I have no problem drawing a nice bead using the aimpoint. The size is great, as it's pretty maneuverable, so it's quick to bring on target. The Talon frontend kit has a good chunk of weight to it as well. Plus, there's a myriad of rail mounting points possible.

Ah Colin, I see now why you need the sight :D.

It's coming to you off a nearly identical front end and will definitely be a perfect replacement for the gas-block flip-up sight.

I check this thread so often, I should probably get pics of some of the "Armalite" projects I've been working on.