After a trip down to my local Royal Mail depot and leaving £50 out of pocket I now had my Guarder RPK kit.

DSC01318.jpg

The original plan was to wait til Sunday to sit down properly and take the time to to dismantle my TM AK and fit this kit. Well that WAS the plan until my boyish enthusiasm got the best of me. I got home took a picture, had dinner and cracked on with it.

After dismantling my AK and unwrapping all all the parts I began. This kit allows you to fully 'metalise' and wood the exterior of your gun and is constructed differently to the standard TM design, as opposed to the cheaper version of this kit that only extends the barrel and provides wood parts. Very few of the original parts are needed but you still need a few:

Gearbox

Barrel

Hop Unit

Bolt Carrier

Front and Rear Sights

Trigger Guard

Butt Plate Screws

The instructions included are pretty simple (one A3 sheet of paper), but they are more than enough to be able to construct the RPK (If you can dismantle your AK then you can build this). Tools needed are just a set of screwdrivers and a set of allen keys. Some parts like the stock require a bit of convincing to get on, but its better to have parts that are a bit to big than some that are a bit to small. Also the rear sight is a real SOB to get on with the replacement guarder spring.

The finished article is a very nice gun, there is no wobble to be found except on the bipod (which is to be expected really) and its very satisfying to hold and shoot. There's room in the outer barrel to fit an extended barrel, all the way up to psg1 length. One problem is that this new design does not allow for quite so easy access to the gearbox and hop unit and getting to these requires almost completely dismantling the gun.

DSC01358.jpg

All in all I am very happy with this, it is a quality piece of kit with only a few minor niggles. Due to it being a limited edition piece it is not widely available, although it is still in stock at http://www.boomarms.com/ and www.uncompany.com. And if you want a support weapon thats not an M249 that everyone and his dog has then an RPK is the way to go!

More pictures here

I like the new inokatsu box art. Bit different to the guarder version (which is effectively the publicity shot of the RPK).

Speaking of which if it's Akmania isn't it technically an Inokatsu RPK, seeing how Guarder have lost the contract? Not splitting hairs, as it looks pretty identical to the kit I received in every other way but the guys with the brand name on the box. :)

I bought it from an 'inbetween' guy who buys them in taiwan and then sells them to the us and the uk. It was advertised as a guarder kit but it could well be technically an inokatsu kit, im not really fussed what it is with it being so good :D

Edit: Oh yeah and the instructions have guarder written all over them :P

Edited by Hoppum

Yeah, they are the same gun, was just being arsey. :) Inokatsu always made the kits, but recently Guarder lost the contract and so Inokatsu have decided to strike it out alone. Only difference is the different box and that's it as far as I'm aware. Your box art is far nicer than mine was, by the way. :D

Nice RPK anyway. I just hope some twunt doesn't drop it and chip off half the wood at the first skirmish like someone did to me at AG05... :(

really good review! would this fit on a TM AK Beta Spetsnaz by any chance?.. cheers :)

Dirty: on the full set like that the only thing you need is the gearbox, hop-up and innerbarrel, along with some externals such as the muzzle and bolt. Chances are you'd want to replace the innerbarrel with a longer version (mine has a 590mm PSG-1 jobby in it), which would necessitate a type-0 cylinder (instead of the ported one in the spets) Other than that, not really. :)

Really? Sure that won't be you? :P

Seriously though, it'll be nice to have another one there to compare. It's been a while since I've seen another full steel RPK in the flesh, so it'll be interesting to see if my artificial weathering of mine and other touches such as the real-steel parts and new bolt, etc etc etc were worth it. I'm also eager to see how your groupings compare to the 590mm inner barrel, as I'm keen to see if it was worth every buying this inner barrel considering the hassle it caused me... :)

Really? Sure that won't be you? :P

It'll be interesting to see if my artificial weathering of mine and other touches such as the real-steel parts were worth it. :)

[mumble]stupid marlowe and his 'artificial weathered' rpk with real steel parts, thinks he's so big making my rpk look bad[/mumble]

:P