It's taken a few days to sort it all out, but now it's live. The news page has been tidied up as the old one was (believe it or not) over 2 years old. Whilst it was a functional system it didn't cater that well for multiple authors and editors.

The new system easily allows the current news team to edit and add news easily. It's flexible and I think it looks pretty good.

The well known site cartoon character is currently lacking, however he will be reappearing as soon as I get hold of my original artwork, which isn't on the machine that I'm using at the moment.

Current news editors include me (obviously) Gene, Ghost Rider, Marlowe, Pablo and R22Master.

Things I like:

# The news age slider.

# The new colour scheme.

# The continuation of the font.

# The faster loading page.

Thing's I don't like:

# The Navigation bar being moved to the right - it leaves the page empty on the left, and is un-natural in my opinion.

# The very light coloured font in " Published by Arnie October 5th, 2006 etc." is too hard to read against the white background.

# The watch being the main part of the picture in the title.

Things that I would like:

# The whole site to keep the same colour-scheme; I guess the forums will be soon be changed, yes?

# To know why the colour-scheme was changes; what was wrong with the old one?

Great job you're doing,

CC

Thing's I don't like:

# The Navigation bar being moved to the right - it leaves the page empty on the left, and is un-natural in my opinion.

# The very light coloured font in " Published by Arnie October 5th, 2006 etc." is too hard to read against the white background.

# The watch being the main part of the picture in the title.

Things that I would like:

# The whole site to keep the same colour-scheme; I guess the forums will be soon be changed, yes?

# To know why the colour-scheme was changes; what was wrong with the old one?

Great job you're doing,

CC

Navigation change is just for a change really, it's not too hard to use, just move your cursor to the right a bit more ;)

The lighter text has been darkened to make it easier to read.

The watch? You do realise that the image are randomly generated? Refresh and you'll see what I mean.

The forums are due for a clean up as well, so will get a similar clean up.

Why the change? Well the old design was 2 years old and the engine that drove it was out of date and needed to be changed. I felt the site needed to keep wioth the times. ;)

You know, the only comment I was going to make was to say don't kill off cartoon-Arnie.

Glad to hear that's already in hand. :)

Beyond that, I like the lighter feel of the page. It is a bit odd having the links on the right but I can live with it.

You know that the other pages in the main site still have the old look, right?

I mean, if I click "projects" or "reviews" it's still the old style.

You do realise that the image are randomly generated? Refresh and you'll see what I mean.

So it does... *feels stupid*

In relation to the navigation bar - what if a post in a topic includes a large picture that pushes the navigation bar off the right-hand side of the screen when the forums are updated? That would be really annoying.

CC

You are looking at the style for the news page and commenting on how it might work with the forums - I've not even got to redoing the rest of the site yet.

Only the news page has changed so far, the rest of the site will change at some point, but that's so way in the future at the moment.

*stamp*

[Catman Seal of Approval]

:P

Seriously: I like it, it's simple and straight to the point. Although I do feel that the righthand nav menu could use some borders/seperators to break it up a bit. Maybe a light grey background colour would break up the whiteness a bit?

Too much empty space on the sides now if your resolution is greater than 1024. I agree that it's the standard now, but still, it looks so bare. Also, I liked it when there was a hyperlink to check your messages from the News page so that I could go straight to the inbox.

Title image is a bit excessively large.

Could use something for us larger rez people, in widescreen there is a lot of unused real estate.

Categories and dated section being hidden away doesn't make much sense when you have the scroll bar at the top, they should be up there with it. Possibly a drop down box to select category and or month?

Apart from that it does look quite good really. Clean and the slider for pages is nice.

It looks less homely, in my opinion. (Looks) very clean, but very spartan.

Like a hospital, I suppose, but without the dead people and chance of contracting MRSA.

Edited by HaVoC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.