XM90 (Name Pending)

Donut

Four months ago I suddenly had an urge...

I have always wanted a futuristic weapon, which was why I got the P90 in the first place, but even with the discontiuned RDS version I still didn't feel special enough.

So I decided to make one; I also really liked the AR from Halo, so the initial plan was to make that... but things didn't really turn out like that.

This is the project in its infancy, nothing special, just some part fitting to see how things would look.

P1010005.jpg

P1010007.jpg

I was getting a lot of bad responses with these... so I went back to the drawing board, I revised my designs around a few points:

-Longer (Barrel)

-Pistol Grip

-Different varients

-"Compact"

-Take AR mags

-Compete with Hardcoil's XA23 :D

Key influences:

XA23

9 Weapon

Halo BR

G36

XM8 & AR15 (Sadly, none was incorperated into the final version)

And a couple more I'm forgetting...

With these down I was able to shop around for parts I need.

A month later...

IMG_0310-2.jpg

IMG_0311-2.jpg

New P90TR arrived...

I know all of you would flame me beyond belief if I cut the P90RDS (remember, at that time the RDS was still a discontiunted gun.)

I spared no time waiting...

IMG_0313-1.jpg

IMG_0312-2.jpg

IMG_0314-1.jpg

The grip is an HK Battle grip, I thought it was a very good fit. I was kind of nervous when I was cutting it, afterall, I had only had the gun for about 20 minutes and haven't even shot it...

A few more pics...

IMG_0315-1.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

I thought they looked pretty cool, some people even suggested to stop at this point, but I know I couldn't.

To be contiuned...

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks pretty cool. Are you planning on combining the big stock version with the front end in the first pic? For the first pic, it actually looks kinda cool but you have to cut down on the number of wildly different parts. The UTG Shotgun cover looks nice but pairing that with half a m16 fore end looks horrible. I say, ditch that tiny rail in the center, then use ABS and body filler to build up the rest of the front so it is more squarish and smooth and closed in.

Part 2:

A rummage through my parts A.K.A. Broken/Failed stuff box turned out a couple of good things.

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

A G36 handguard and bipod.

Attaching it was pretty simple...

IMG_0327.jpg

All I did was cut off the tabs, drilled thourgh the P90 upper and transfuse the parts.

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

This is my AR mag system, still in development. I am too cheap to buy the nitro vo one, but even if I had the cash I still wouldn't buy it because it is ugly IMO.

IMG_0333.jpg

It's surprisingly sturdy...

At this point I still had the idea of making different varients of

Standard Rifle

Rifle + GL

Support

CQC

DMR

Part 3:

I wanted to have a top rail and iron sights, like everyone else, I thought of using a G36 rail. But I could not find one, so I had to build one with MP5 sights and a long RIS rail.

I played around with the setups

IMG_0334-1.jpg

IMG_0337-1.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

4552b96a.jpg

9fd27907.jpg

ffac4c9e.jpg

8ab6b17d.jpg

In the end I just decided to scrap the idea, since the sights are just way too high...

By this time I was having doubts about making so many differnet varients due to time and cost.

PS-90 wannebe...

IMG_0347.jpg

Part 4:

Some overdue beauty work, new paint job and some patching here and there

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

Sheet Styrene (or plasticard) is a very handy and helpful custom material.

IMG_0351.jpg

My painting skills suck...

Fast forward a month:

I finally got enough money to buy some more parts, namely M249 flashhider, a couple TW shotgun shells, and upgrade parts.

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

The barrel was easier than I thought would be, seems like 1/2in copper pipes fit the P90 flashhider perfectly...

IMG_0353-1.jpg

Just needs a dap of superglue.

IMG_0354.jpg

And the M249 flashhider is also a nice fit.

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

Random shot; I drilled a hole through the P90 upper to accept the G36 locking pins.

Part 5:

Some more chopping

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

I originally wanted a AUG/Tavor styled handguard, but decided against it to keep the weapon small and streamlined.

Then came the Bondo

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

Not bad for first time using Bondo if I do say so myself.

IMG_0370.jpg

Needs a lot more beauty work, but I added some more sheet styrene for structural rigidity.

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

A lot of people said it looked like a G11 or SL8/9 by this point.

Part 6:

After some misc. work and repainting...

Drum roll...

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

I took off the original TR top rail as it was too high, dremeled the plastic, then added a G36 handguard rail on top.

I say it is about 90% completed at this point, I still have a bit of beauty/patch work to do, but it's "finished" in the sense that I'd feel safe taking it to a game.

So far this project has taken about 4 months and costed about $400-$450 (I think...)

Thanks everyone. It's not done yet though, hence it's still called "XM-90" I'll think of a better name when the time comes... ;)

It may just be me, but I think it looked quite nice before you chopped the original foward grip.

Could just be my inner P90 fanboy talking, though.  Still a nice gun man.

It was hard to let that go... but when I was field testing it I found that with the pistol grip the foregrip just doesn't feel right... and I've already got a handguard anyways and the foregrip kinda gets in the way.

But to soothe your inner P90 fanboyness (I know how you feel, I'm a P90 fanboy to :D)

IMG_0385.jpg

I've got something special for this, don't worry, I absolutely will not hurt this P90 at all, you can have my word.

Again, if you have any suggestions or comments, feel free to share them.

P.S. I'd like to thank Hardcoil for being the sparker and catalyst of this project, and Agent_Spencer for helping me picturing this project with his Photoshop skills.

There's probably more people to thank, but none comes to mind right away.

It was hard to let that go... but when I was field testing it I found that with the pistol grip the foregrip just doesn't feel right... and I've already got a handguard anyways and the foregrip kinda gets in the way.

But to soothe your inner P90 fanboyness (I know how you feel, I'm a P90 fanboy to :D)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/-Church-/IMG_0385.jpg

I've got something special for this, don't worry, I absolutely will not hurt this P90 at all, you can have my word.

Ah, I guess that makes sense. But like I said, it looked nice. Like...a gigantic trigger guard. :P

OMG A DEDICATED THREAD FOR THIS GUN!

*worships thread*

Seriously man, this is IMO the best looking custom gun I've seen. I like hardcoil's gun and all, but it seems a bit chunky and not as well planned as this one looks.

It may just be me, but I think it looked quite nice before you chopped the original foward grip.

Could just be my inner P90 fanboy talking, though.  Still a nice gun man.

I liked the original forward grip and didn't think it took away from the gun at all, but with it gone, the gun definately looks a lot more streamlined and rifle-ish (good thing).

Were this a commercial gun that was introduced before I joined the sport of airsoft, I would have bought it at first sight.

Let there be reppage! Don't change a thing from that finished product (unless the AR mag thing turns out even sexier, in which case do change a damn thing). Without the G36 handguard it looks like some kind of wicked crazy sniper rifle, and with the handguard it looks like something i'd want to buy. An AG36 would look kind of wrong on that gun, it wouldn't look as streamlined and natural like an M203 does on an armalite. Really though, A++, best damn custom gun i have ever seen.

xm90no8.th.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help myself. How's that?

And oh, by the way, could someone post a photo of "open" P90? I want to see how much space is there for fitting a M16 mag inside...

A M16 (or G36, or Steyr) mag would fit nicely in this sort of construction...

What type of of G36 foregrip did you use?

Don't remember, but it's got to be a springer. Since it had screw holes that I puttied over.

*pic*

Sorry, couldn't help myself. How's that?

And oh, by the way, could someone post a photo of "open" P90? I want to see how much space is there for fitting a M16 mag inside...

A M16 (or G36, or Steyr) mag would fit nicely in this sort of construction...

That really looks amazing. Looks more like an H&K than an FN but its sleek and the P90 mags intergrate so well into the design. Cleaning up the join between the pistol grip and the body would help a lot though.

FN SL8/9? :D

I kind of like it with the thumbhole stock... it certainly goes together with the foregrip. Not to mention it'd be easier to make a ejection port, but I'm saving that space for now incase I ever get around to making a box mag.

Archived