Longer inner barrel = better accuracy, why?

farewell_red

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I fitted a 6.04 tightbore to my CA M15a2...hardly any difference, if any at all.  In fact, Ive been hugely disappointed by ALL of the internal mods Ive made.  I wait to see if the 1J spring has made a difference (was firing at 290fps)

the "leap" will be more considerably felt if you use a 2J spring.

Could someone tell me where exactly in America this myth of barrel length affecting accuracy comes from?

:zorro:

Its got something to do with their penis size. I think they stole a glance at yours, however, because we've all seen the internets conversation you had with Senator Foley, Sledge.

The myth of a long barrel = accuracy likely comes from the real steel world, where a longer barrels create greater velocities and flatter trajectories. Saying this idea is confined to America is about as stupid as anything else Sledge says.

:zorro:

I personally think a longer barrel in airsoft may permit a BB to stop or slow it's bouncing in the barrel before it leaves. That assumes a BB bounces in the barrel, which it might not, and it assumes that the additional contact between the BB and the barrel doesn't increase bouncing. It's really just my guess, though, and I don't think a longer barrel is ever going to make much of a difference beyond 6-7-8 inch lengths. Barrel and BB quality are the keys to accuracy in my experience, as is a good consistant hop.

A longer barrel will increase lock time, though.

Which...would be a little impractical with the UKs 1J limit... :rolleyes:

Oh yeah :P

But at least thats one way I could confirm that longer and tighter barrels do make a difference. Around here, open sites go way beyond forum limits and this is where adding a longer /tighter barrel counts. So the whole concept turns into baloney if you live in UK.

STUPID AMERIKA U GUYZ SUK AMIRITE?!

*ahem*

So uh, its not too useful to get a longer barrel on anything longer than a P90, but what about the "vented" cylinders that Hissing_Sid mentioned, like the Mp5k?

This is confusing. I've always thought "precision" barrels were most likely not that great, too. But probably have a lot more effect on shorter barrels rather than longer ones. Maybe I will end up getting a tighbore for the MP5k... :o

A quick question.

What happen if a BB passes through a rifled barrel? Would it work? I know that some people says it wont work because BB needs presurized air in the barrel to fly. I'm curious as to how the BB would react until some tests have actually being done.

Just a thought.

A quick question.

What happen if a BB passes through a rifled barrel? Would it work? I know that some people says it wont work because BB needs presurized air in the barrel to fly. I'm curious as to how the BB would react until some tests have actually being done.

Just a thought.

There are 'rifled barrels' around made by Tanio Koba, for example see here

the only piece of info I could find was from another forum saying

The idea was to use a very slack twist (I don't think the shorter barrels even had a full twist in them) to spin the air in the barrel, but as it was only a slight twist the BB itself wouldn't spin.

The cunning idea was the spinning air would keep the pressure constant all around the bb as it flew down the barrel thus keeping it central in the barrel, so it didn't touch the sides and giving a better more consistant flight.

which is the most sense i got out of the threads ive read on this subject.

Is there possibility that a tightbore barrel with a 1J spring would actually push the gun over the UK limit in FPS?

possibly as thier are claims of massive fps boosts by tightbores(30+), dunno if this is b/s or not. Mine achieved something like +12fps - altho this increase could of been put down to the new hop rubber installed aswell.

Is there possibility that a tightbore barrel with a 1J spring would actually push the gun over the UK limit in FPS?

Of course there is. Tightbore's usually increase FPS at least a little bit, so if you're shooting at 327, a tightbore will put you somewhere mildy over the limit.

Quoth the rules:

Airsoft Muzzle Velocity discussion ("the 1 Joule Rule")

Discussion of Airsoft replicas that shoot BBs with more than 1 Joule of muzzle energy is not tolerated. While the 1 Joule limit is not a legal limit defined by UK law, it is legally considered that any Airsoft replica at this limit or below, cannot cause a penetrative injury to a person. This means that the law considers any replica shooting above this limit as either a grey area, or a weapon. As we want this sport / hobby to remain safe, discussions of power levels (or equipment that will enable a replica to exceed this power level) is not allowed.

We understand that in many countries, velocities of 400 feet per second and more are legal, but this is a British web site, with a British owner and we have set this limit for discussion as it helps to ensure that all members stay on the right side of British law.

Semantics aside, 1J is ALWAYS considered the limit here.

Here is my theory on why some people get better accuracy, and some don't:

First, the length of the barrel (to a point) increases the accuracy of the gun.

In guns with longer barrels, the BB has possibly already reached it's 'maximum accuracy', therefore a tight bore has little to no effect.

In guns such as MP5's, with shorter barrels, the tightbore helps compensate for the inadequate barrel length, so there is an improvement in accuracy.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but rifling doesn't do jack for a spherical projectile that has backspin. (Actually, it would make it less stable in flight, wouldn't it?)

Archived