Longer inner barrel = better accuracy, why?

farewell_red

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

longer barrel generally doesnt give better accuracy (unless you count how much closer the barrel exit is to the target...) people reporting such usually are going from a stock normal barrel to an extended tightbore.

For example, with a bullpup, you lose nothing by going a bit over 300 mm.  The FA-MAS is a short weapon but with a barrel length of 472 mm, and you're not losing anything with it.

And I thought the P90 is clearly shorter. And just as accurate.

The other thing is that a new barrel, while not being as effective, can provide performance boost with less stress on the internals.

The stress on the internals is already very low at the typical 328 fps - 400 fps limits at various sites around the globe. The velocity boost, as has been stated, is very small (bearing in mind that you have to have the correct cylinder for both barrels).

One more issue is that you're wasting a ton of energy with a vented cylinder, as I said.  So if you could slightly lengthen a barrel and remove the cylinder venting.

No you're not. An MC-51 has the same muzzle velocity as an M16 out of the box. The vented cylinder prevents loss of energy because of the short barrel.

But generally, I wouldn't mess with the length. 

Quoted for truth.

-Sale

Now if having a tightbore gives you that FPS boost, Then would a longer tightbore give a higher FPS boost or is it, this is what i think, proportional in whatever gun.

In examples again!

AEG1: Longer tightbore=+20FPS

AEG2: Shorter tighbore=+10FPS

Or as i understand it:

AEG1: Longer tightbore=10FPS

AEG2: Shorter tighbore=10FPS

And the assumtions are that both AEGs have correct cylinders for the length and resistance is not a factor.

if you were to put a longer barrel on a gun and turn off the hop up this would increase acuracy and distance of the shot than with a shorter barrel wouldn't it? because its holding the pellets trajectory for longer and helping the pellet reach its optimum speed that is created from the cylinder!

This deserves a proper answer in my opinion.

The thing is, the hop up imparts backspin to the BB. This generates lift. If the BB is shot along a smooth barrel then there's nothing to control the spin of the BB.

A BB exiting a 10cm barrel at 300fps will have exactly the same range as a BB exiting a 50cm barrel at the same speed.

In the above example, the longer barrel might prove to be slightly more accurate as the BB will have more time to "sort itself out" as it travels along the barrel but the range still won't be too great.

Now if having a tightbore gives you that FPS boost, Then would a longer tightbore give a higher FPS boost or is it, this is what i think, proportional in whatever gun.

In examples again!

AEG1: Longer tightbore=+20FPS

AEG2: Shorter tighbore=+10FPS

Or as i understand it:

AEG1: Longer tightbore=10FPS

AEG2: Shorter tighbore=10FPS

And the assumtions are that both AEGs have correct cylinders for the length and resistance is not a factor.

Most of my experience of tightbore barrels is with a G3. In a G3, swapping a TM 6.08 barrel for a Prometheus 6.03 barrel yielded a whopping 6fps increase.

Regarding different barrel lengths, a stock P90 shoots at about 265fps through the standard 6.08mm barrel. After fitting the TM G3 barrel into it, along with an unvented cylinder, the power went up to 285fps.

It would seem that a longer barrel and appropriate cylinder WILL give you a decent increase in power.

Again, I don't think anybody disputes this.

If you have a stock TM M4, for example, and you also happen to have a silencer, an unvented cylinder and an M16 barrel lying around then there's nothing to stop you fitting them all and increasing the guns power.

Seems a bit of a weird way of doing things though. Why not sell the barrel or silencer and buy a stronger spring with the money instead?

When you're deliberately upgrading a gun it's even worse. You'll buy an M100 spring (in the UK) and then fit a longer, tighter, barrel (along with the requisite silencer) and find the gun is shooting at about 360fps.

So you then end up cutting down the spring (or fitting a weaker one) to return the gun to 330fps. :huh:

And you're still left with a long gun with a permenantly fixed silencer.

In that situation, you're far better (in almost every situation) fitting a standard length tightbore and retaining the compactness of your gun.

When you're deliberately upgrading a gun it's even worse. You'll buy an M100 spring (in the UK) and then fit a longer, tighter, barrel (along with the requisite silencer) and find the gun is shooting at about 360fps.

So you then end up cutting down the spring (or fitting a weaker one) to return the gun to 330fps.  :huh:

And you're still left with a long gun with a permenantly fixed silencer.

In that situation, you're far better (in almost every situation) fitting a standard length tightbore and retaining the compactness of your gun.

In some cases, this is the one time when a longer barrel than 300 mm is good. Once again, like with the FA-MAS. Or any gun with hi-speed gears.

The FA-MAS can't take too powerful a spring...I wouldn't feel comfortable using anything above a PDI 120%, unless I were to replace the gearset with standard ratio gears and lose the ROF. And with any gun, a weaker spring means internals that last longer and also a higher ROF.

I would never take a gun longer than an M4 and put on a longer barrel. But on a shorter gun, it can be an option. An upgrade from a 200 mm barrel to a 300 mm barrel might provide a good FPS increase, especially from stock internals.

In some cases, this is the one time when a longer barrel than 300 mm is good.  Once again, like with the FA-MAS.  Or any gun with hi-speed gears.

Very true, there WILL be instances where a longer barrel will be a desirable part of an upgrade.

As I also said, if your site chrono's guns with hop-up applied, you can fit a longer barrel to a gun then increase the hop and retain the same, or greater, power and achieve better range with heavier ammo.

Very true, there WILL be instances where a longer barrel will be a desirable part of an upgrade.

As I also said, if your site chrono's guns with hop-up applied, you can fit a longer barrel to a gun then increase the hop and retain the same, or greater, power and achieve better range with heavier ammo.

Yup. However, just to summarize this topic, you do not see much of an increase if you only increase the barrel length by 20% (say, M4 length to M16 length), and also, the increase from long tightbore comes primarily from the diameter.

But was it longer than the original barrel? Because I'm really interested in the range of the gun. I believe 510mm is the length barrel I want as opposed to the stock M4 barrel length. I'm hoping to do something along the lines of a counter sniper team as those guys at my local field with the M14's that don't call hits are starting to ###### me off.

It was a stock length G3 barrel. 455mm, I think.

I've also fitted a stock-length 6.04 barrel to my M4 and seen a similar improvement.

Basically, there's simply no point in fitting a long-barrel-and-silencer combo unless you're absolutely sure there's a reason to do it.

Ok. I just thought If I had the cylinder and barrel length of an M16 I'd pick up the same range as one but I must have misunderstood the posts. The only reason I was thinking about a silencer setup is because I already have one but thanks for the help. You just saved me 15 bucks or so.

Ok. I just thought If I had the cylinder and barrel length of an M16 I'd pick up the same range as one but I must have misunderstood the posts. The only reason I was thinking about a silencer setup is because I already have one but thanks for the help. You just saved me 15 bucks or so.

Ummm, if your M4 is shooting at the same power as an M16 it'll achieve the same range, regardless of barrel length.

TBH, I think part of the reason people often buy longer barrels is because of cost. Most of the time an M4 barrel is the same price as an M16 barrel so they get the longer one cos the extra length is "free".

You do not need a longer barrel to improve range or accuracy. Thus, no need for a suppressor to cover anything.

If your field limit is 400, tune your AEG to that with the standard length 363 mm barrel. In this situation a longer barrel would not benefit anything, because you're already at the limit.

-Sale

• 2 weeks later...

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just want to make sure I fully understand this concept before I do some upgrades on various AEG's....

The installation of a longer, tightbore barrel should only be done (for cost effectiveness's sake) when upgrading the spring and/ or other internals is not possible.

Let me try to make it really simple:

Standard barrel to tightbore barrel (Same length): Increase FPS

Standard barrel to longer barrel (same inside diameter): Won't make much difference.

Standard barrel to tightbore longer barrel: Increase FPS, make gun bigger

Archived