1891/30 Nagant

renegadecow

First off, there isn't any airsoft manufacturer in the world that has even come close to making one, which is why I want to. But to make my path to enlightenment even far more convoluted than it already is, somehow, I've managed to convince myself that I should make the 1891/30 into the Nagant featured in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater wielded by the End. Because of the fact that said version is purely fictitious I'm stuck up to my knees in decisions. But, so far I'm already decided with the following.

I'm building it off an M700 out of simplicity plus it goes 2x forum fps limits.

The entire stock will be made from Radiata Pine, carved from 3 laminated planks.

The hooded front sight of the M700 will be used and an AK47 rear sight plus faux cleaning rod.

I'll copy the pistol grip of an AK74 since it looks real close.

And the problems:

The butt stock is supposed to be side-folding, but the game itself never showed it and how or even mention to which side it folds (I'm guessing to the left, but on the survival viewer the image is symetrical so my guess is worth ######). I sure can copy the look of the stock out of steel tubes and moulded PVC, but I don't know how it folds!

The M700 uses removable magazines while an 1891 uses an internal magazine with an extension sticking out of the stock. Do I stick with removable mags or do I make a mock-up mag extension which means that I will have to reload the gun like a real 1891 (from the opened bolt)?

The scope is impossible to find. So my choices are to use a kar98 scope or fabricate my own mounts and stick a small 4x20 on it.

Heres what it should look like. Its just my own rendition with an M700 action already bedded into it. Can't find decent pics other than whats on the survival viewer.

theend.jpg

just to let you know, the best pics of it are to call sigint with it equipt on a big TV, i think the pistol grip is black tho? may just be me i guess lol

but yeah, that looks damn nice, and your best bet for the scope would be a really, REALLY old one, as im guessing the end had it for a while :P

and about a months of making diagrams, blue prints ect will be good for this project, as your ptetty much fabricating it from nothing

What are you going to do about magazines? Aren't the M700's magazines farther forward than the mosin's magazine? And for that matter, the mosin has an internal magazine, not a removable one.

Oh, and by the way, you're my hero for this.

EDIT: Er, you already covered the removable versus internal magazines issue. Dahr.

Also, I don't know about regulations in your area, but in the US it's possible to get a mosin-nagant in decent external condition for about $80. If you can get that where you are, it might be worth considering as a base for your project, rather than carving it out of wood yourself.

darn, can't edit mah post.

Heres an updated render and I took a good nights rest before making this one. I just beat the End again just a few hours ago just to get better pics. Oh, and Sigint doesn't provide much on the picture part but he does confirm that it is a folding stock. Also, I've noticed a slight datail on the folding mech. Apparently it is not symetric and I can tell from the hinge that it folds left (also so that the bolt will not be covered when folded) and I'm just guessing that that large button nearest the stock is what locks it.

ENDnagant.jpg

I'm only 22 so I can't wait for a scope to get old. :P But I do have a friend who does an amazing weathering effect (practically airbrushed) so I can definitely get the look. Plus the scope mount itself isn't very complicated. Heres a pic of the real one. Freakishly looks like the 4x20 scope on M16s.

MosinNagantPU3.jpg

On the second pic, I've alligned everything to make it a complete drop-in installation with an M700. As for the magazine sticking out, I'll stay with the removable M700 mags but will have a dummy mag extension stuck underneath like small hooks attaching on the real mags floor plate.

Very nice photoshop(?) work - I'm enjoying looking back and forth between the pictures and seeing the updates.

And good choice on the scope, it's going to be easier to find a M16 4x20 scope than an original mosin scope. That's not something I had realized before, when I was pondering a mosin project of my own. After seeing your rendition of the mosin with the M700 action, well, I'm considering trying the project again.

EDIT: You might consider sourcing a stock from here: http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mos.html

Holy! All that stuff and I couldn't buy a pennies worth. You see, the customs people around here are, the least to say, narrow minded. They'd likely put taxes bringing the price up ten fold, seriously. But this would certainly be a good source for anyone else other than myself (sucks to be me). However, I'm confident enough in relying on my own wood skills as you may leisurely see in my album of assorted hand-crafted stocks. But of course, the END product will be the judge of that (I just had to say it, as corny as it may sound :P ).

Hmmm more and more people are offering much needed help. The pressure is building up on me to please everyone and not botch this project up :D

n00b3r, if you can, could you get the most "profile" shot of the nagant so I could scale down the dimensions of the stock? Right now, my rendition is baised on my own interpretation of what would be comfortable (same trigger pull length of real 1891/30). Thanks a bunch!

Also as an update, I've managed to have someone trade his PDW folding stock for part of my own self-made RPK stocks. I'll see if I can rip off the hinge design and put it in entirely if not just have it copied into the Nagant. So I've got the hinge problem covered now. And its not like I'm doing it wrong by using a PDW hinge as there is no information to contradict me.

Sweet. I just got my PDW folding stock swapped from my RPK foregrip. I just came to realize how ridiculously BIG the hinge is on this thing despite the diminutive size of the gun it came from. Measuring the clearance between the M700's bolt and trigger guard base, I have 1.5" of total height for the rectangular metal attachment on the Nagant. The PDW measures more than 3". I now have to cannibalize its components to make it fit, but most of the work will be making a new bracket for it (the hinge itself fits, but its bracket doesn't, so off with its head!).

• 1 month later...

kudos for using the M700 for this project.

Im not sre if this was intentional by Konami, but if you look at End's rifle, the bolt handle is vertical rather than horizontal, whereas the mosin nagant rifle always had a horizontal bolt that lifted up vertically....hence the scope not being mounted directly onto the top of the rifle.

This may be due to the stripper not being able to be loaded into the gun, but then again the amunition could have been individually loaded like the springfield and K98k.

Anyways, good luck with this mate, its a bit of a tall order but Im sure you're up to the challenge.

ant

Yes, straight bolt handle if you were a poor foot-soldier of the soviet army. The bent ones were custom made for the snipers.

And I'm not giving up on this project, if anyone thinks so. I'm still rounding up material for it. Just growing a few liver spots on my head while waiting. Folding mech from an Uzi side-folding stock, just the right size.

Archived