PLCE Webbing review

Well, I was just reading a review of PLCE webbing (don't ask why, I've been using it in cadets for a good while now). Bearing in mind my use of this form of webbing I was shocked to read that upon wearing it for a day, while skirmishing, he found he had a sore neck, back and had muscle spasms. Well. I've worn PLCE webbing for three days in a row on exercise, only taking it off for a couple of hours sleep. Not once have I found it uncomfortable, and I have certainly never had muscle spasms...

My only belief is that this person has fitted his webbing incorrectly. If the back of the webbing is fitted too close to the neck it can cause a sore neck and back. Other than that I don't know. All I know is that three days in the field is a lot more stressful on joints and muscles than a day of skirmishing and I find it very comfortable.

Anyway, cheers.

Chris.

Bearing in mind my use of this form of webbing I was shocked to read that upon wearing it for a day, while skirmishing, he found he had a sore neck, back and had muscle spasms. Well. I've worn PLCE webbing for three days in a row on exercise, only taking it off for a couple of hours sleep. Not once have I found it uncomfortable, and I have certainly never had muscle spasms...

Well i'm in a fair bit of pain right now - lower back from wearing mine most of the weekend. You need to tighten up the lower yoke straps, or it sags and hurts like a proverbial, i just didn't have the time (read: effort) to tape them back up again.

Basic fitness might play a part as well. I'm not saying the original poster is some kind of slob, but to run around all day with loaded PLCE if you're not used to it will definitely take it's toll. The back is not normally developed too well in day-to-day life, and PLCE and heavy bergens are normally prescribed along with a lengthy and exhausting PT regime, non? ;)

Basic fitness might play a part as well. I'm not saying the original poster is some kind of slob, but to run around all day with loaded PLCE if you're not used to it will definitely take it's toll. The back is not normally developed too well in day-to-day life, and PLCE and heavy bergens are normally prescribed along with a lengthy and exhausting PT regime, non? ;)

Good point. I do quite a bit of PT and Bergen carrying on top of airosfting and general cadet activities I'd imagine it'd build back muscles quite fast.

You can usually tell how well PLCE is fitting by the marks it leaves on your body after 24 hours of useage, I had this preached at me constantly:

If you have red marks on your shoulders then the straps are taking too much of the weight. You need to tighten up the belt or put a bungee around it to make your hips and waist take some more of the load.

If you can take the straps off of your shoulders and run around wearing it like a belt without it feeling much different then you have the reverse problem. Your waist and hips are taking all of the weight and your shoulders next to none. Tighten up the front and back yoke straps to 'pull' more of the webbing up to your shoulders.

If you're having trouble breathing, or your finding you get marks around your waist and stomach then its too tight and you need to slacken it off a bit around the waist. This ones pretty obvious, like a belt really.

If you find your lower back is aching more than one would expect given the load you took then the lower yoke straps are loose and so your back is straining to pull it into place. If you keep the lower yoke straps nice and tight, not only will it keep the pouches quiet but it'll also prevent your lower back taking any of the weight at all. From a military perspective the lower back is for twisting not lifting.

If you find your getting pain around your collar bones and shoulders (but no strap marks) then the problem is probably the front pouches (likely the 2 double ammo pouches) are sitting too low compared to the back.

Generally you should try to make sure that the front (double ammo pouches) and back (utility pouches) are 'balanced' with each other. Don't let the bag sag lower than the front, and vice versa don't let the front sag in comparison to the back. One should be able to put a spirit level from the front ammo pouch to a rear util pouch and have it level off fairly dead center. If you can do this then what you've achieved is webbing which shares your center of gravity. At this point the webbing will act the way you want it to and will go where you want it to go without putting exessive strain on specific parts of your body. And without pulling you in certain directions. I used to hear the sentance 'Wear your webbing! Don't let it wear you!' crammed down my throat. It was true though.

• 1 month later...

I've been using PLCE for airsoft, cadets, and all that jazz for a good 4 years now, after spending 6 days in the field, on the most exausting junior leadership course ive ever been on, you dont even notice the webbing.

If its fitted properly, and not overladen, it shouldnt hurt at all.

Now, carrying an LSW, 300 rounds, a PRC 350 (a fat radio for anyone not military orientated, allmost 4Kg+2 spare batteries, = 6kg) and full combat gear, THAT is tiring! It was an endurance course though, so :P

Ive had bad experiances with assult vests, tbh, i cant stand the damn things, they dont have the flexability or carrying capabilities of webbing, good if your using cars/APC's and the like though.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

the only part of the webbing plce, which i personally hate is the gasmask carrier, with more than one kg inside, the strap starts to left red marks on the shoulder, outherwise there are no problems. the first time it was a little bit unconfortable, because it wasnt perfectly adjusted. i noted, that some load (magazines or bbs) in the pouches while adjusting, helps.

• 8 months later...

PLCE is one of the best load-bearing sets I've known. Since starting airsoft I've tried to find a load-out that matched it (used it in the services) for comfort and adaptability and only now with MOLLE systems am I getting close.

I've now got a MLE MOLLE harness and whereas the adaptability is as good as my old PLCE its still not quite as comfortable and I have to now put up with velcro and QR fastenings (Quick Release huh...anything but!).

Next stop will be a plate carrier of some kind but then I need to look hard at pouches as you JUST CANNOT get better than spanish clips.

I just want MOLLE ACU pouches with spanish clips and i'll be set! (considering butchering a set of PLCE and doing some sewing).

The only issues I had in the infantry with PLCE was some pain in the upper hip. May or may not have been solved with a hip-pad but I never got round to it as it really only occured after really extensive use (48hrs+)