How to Install G23F/G18c Metal Slide

Before I go any further, I would like to say that the KSC/KWA G18c is the EXACT same internals as the KSC/KWA G23F, part for part.

Okay, here's the link to WGC photo-by-photo instructions how to swap and install the G18c metal slide

Now I'm sure many of you can easily understand the instructions via pictures, but when it came to install my G23F metal slide, it was a totally different story, things didn't want to go in, things couldn't come out blah blah blah.. So this is more of elaborating WGC's how-to photo instructions.

So here we go. (open up the WGC URL and follow the photos)

1) Drop the magazine, easy enough.

2) Select the gun to Safe, then recocking the slide so you can freely pull the trigger without the gun firing. Pull the disassembly tabs down and slide the slide forward off the rails. Simple.

3) Heres where I was bamboozled, picture3, slide some random thing under the back of the slide.. I ignored this, as it had something to do with taking off the slide, but I've already done that.

4) That's nothing, the slide was seperated from the frame in step two.

5) Push the recoil rod forward (away from the slide internals) and lift it at an angle. Easy.

6) Take out the barrel. Since you've just took the recoil rod out, your slide should be upside-down, you can just leave it upside-down and take out the barrel like the recoil rod; push forwards and lift out at an angle.

7) Done in step6

8) Remove sight, some sights are stiff as hell to remove. Don't worry if you think there's only one way to push it out, you can remove them on both sides.

9) Take out the little grub screw. Beware this grub screw is TINY, and it's a long mofo. Make sure you keep the hex wrench in a little bag of some sort so you don't lose it. Losing the precious wrench will be one of the worse possible things to do during the installation..

ResizeofCIMG6505.jpg

size of grub screw, and that's just HALF of the length!

10) Unscrew standard sized screw in the belly of the internal mech. This screw is just as important as it holds the piston engine in place.

11) Another confusing picture. Apparently you're supose to bash the back of the slide against a table and pray to God that..

12) .. a small nail will pop it's little ickle head out. This is not the case I'm sorry WGC.. The nail takes much more than a bash to come out. Even I didn't bother trying to do that. I knew it wasn't just friction that was holding it in, it was the fire selector too. So this is what I did.

Get a sharp edged object, like a knife of some sort, wedge it between the nail and the "back stop" (the plastic part at the back of the slide) and try to pull it out while turning the knife at an angle. Mind this may damage the back stop if you're not careful, but you're not that daft to do that are you? Nooooooo Sir.

ResizeofCIMG6507.jpg

move the knife at an angle, the nail will pop out gently until you can nip it out with some pliars

If it all goes well then you should be looking at picture

13) which is what I showed you. Say thank you Mr TaQ :)

14) Keep that nail in a little bottle cap or something, as theres more little ickle things you could potentionally lose, like the little ball bearing that will drop on the floor if you pull out the fire selector sideways..

15) Make sure when you pull it out, pull it out upwards (that's with the slide sitting sideways on your table/hand, as shown) If it goes well you'll see a silver ball bearing inside the selector innard, nip it out and put it in a safe place.

16) This is what I DO NOT recommend doing, slapping the slide internals out. Last time I done it there were things flying out and springs going in my face. Do not do this. Recommended method is to sit the slide upside down, and nip the backstop and piston nozzle with your thumb and index finger, and gently lift the internals upwards, just like picture 17, you won't even need to slap the damn thing, theres nothing keeping the internals in since the selector, spring and grub screw are removed.

17) Follow 16

18) If it all goes well and nothings flown in your face, look at the right side of the mech box (piston nozzle facing right) you'll see two metal parts, the oval type part and the lever part, theres a TINY spring here that you MUST NOT LOSE. Let me show a better photo:

ResizeofCIMG6512.jpg

You can see all the ickle parts you've removed so far, except the tiny spring that connects to the lever and oval pieces. It's best to leave the parts as they are, if you haven't knocked them out when pulling out the innards, that is..

ResizeofCIMG6510.jpg

Same picture as #18 on WGC. Notice the little spring.

The little spring, the reason why it's another essential part, is it keeps the gun on full auto when the fire selector is in the Auto position. Without it, the metal lever piece will just flop up and down, hence making Semi not entirely semi and Auto not entirely auto (One of my G23Fs sometimes fired full auto for afew milliseconds, because the tiny spring was mangled, so I chucked it, hence the selector not being entirely reliable, but I didn't mind)

19) Picture of the internals, with everything in place, the engine springs are straight forward, they're quite long, but still losable.

20) Fit the internals into the new metal slide. Straight forward, just don't let the little spring on the right, nudge the side of the slide, as it'll just pop out and fly, never to be seen again..

21) Screw screw back in. Simple.

22) This picture is alittle understated. The selector won't go in that easily. You must get that little ball bearing out and slot it back in the right place. Heres a picture:

ResizeofCIMG6511.jpg

Notice there's a complete ball bearing ditch, and two half ditches, put the ball bearing in the middle of the ditch, adjoining the far right ditch. Put the selector back in, sliding it in going to Safe postion. The ball bearing should go in the hole in the back of the selector. Make sure selector goes in entirely, not half in. Takes afew tries to do this but be patient, just don't flip.

23) The nail, I will explain in step 24

24) This, again is not recommended. Hammering the nail back with a back of a "Made In Japan" screwdriver is stupid. The nail will only go in a certain way, find the right place (while pressing in on the selector) the nail will simple slip straight in, using your thumb to press it in will do. Relax the selector and the nail will stay inside. Easy.

24) Get that grub screw and hook it to the hex wrench before screwing it back in, it's much easier. Don't screw it in too tight as you won't be able to move the selector, screw it so it's secure enough that the selector isn't loose.

25+26+27+28+29 are straight forward.

Sorted. Now you've got a nice metal slide for your G18C/G23F, so nice the slide and markings are the same type included in a KWA metal slided G19. Neat.. For £55 posted from www.fire-support.co.uk it's abit of a rip off, a further £10 will get you a brand new KWA metal slided G19 from www.airsoftarmouries.co.uk

But I got my slide and barrel set for £40 posted from HK by a good friend of mine :)

Now "go and shoot airsoft guns in your house all day" with your beasted up Glock. Enjoy :)

CIMG6513.jpg

top to bottom:

Plastic slided G23F

Metal slided G23F

Metal slided G19

TaQ

eeeerrrrrrrmmmmmm

WOW............ it isnt as easy as they make it out to be, I think you've scared me out of upgrading my G18c now!!!!

thanks TaQ you just saved me some hard earned cash!!! :D

Well.... once you've took it apart in a clean tidy place you'll have no difficulty installing it. If you lose a piece or two.... then you're basically f*cked.

Enzo, as a moderator, you should brush up "UR" punctuation ;)

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Super thread revival. :)

I recently purchased a KSC G23F along with a KSC metal slide and barrel set. Included in the metal set was a zip lock bag with two small long springs. What is the purpose of these two springs? From TaQ's review, I gather is has something to do with number 18. Thanks for any help.