I think we should be able to delete our post, (?this hasn't been discussed before?)

I don't.

It would enable people to delete posts from sales, or they could remove their part in a flame war. If you think you might want to delete one your own posts, think before you press Add Reply.

I don't either.

If someone makes you look foolish in a thread, then you should of been more careful what you posted.

Now deleting a thread you started, i think thats not a bad idea. If you ask a simple question and just end up getting flamed or off topic response, then you might as well go "nuts to this" and press the ol'd delete button.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the necro, but I would like to chime in just a smidge on this one.

Obviously it's Arnie's and the Mod-Squad's call, but running several boards myself what I can say is the ability to 'self moderate' if you will accomplishes two things- first and foremost it lessens the workload of the moderators, and secondly it relieves the poster of some level of stress and embarrasment should their internet connection suddenly go mad and create double posts in error.

Forum posting is a pretty unique form of human expression, being disconnected as it is from actual human-to-human interaction it is easy to forget that your post does not stop at your PC and underestimate the potential impact tone and content may have on others that read the message and interpret it in way that was not intended. I would bet that we all have written things and posted only to re-read it once published and had second thoughts.

We do enjoy a limited ability to edit a newly posted thread or reply, however often we will run out of time before a response from another member forces us to realize a potential mistake or blunder, by then it's too late, and we are forced to either write a follow-up or worse, end up tasking a mod to clean-up our messes.

My suggestion is that we consider this an opportunity to partner with our host and his band of merry men ;) in this, the best and most popular Airsoft forum on the planet, and slightly alter the permissions and setup of the boards to enable users to delete their posts where reasonable.

Again, having the forum experience I do I know that these permissions can be set at a very granular level, at a section-by-section level. This would address the earlier cited risk of a seller altering his posts inappropriately to defraud or otherwise take advantage of purchasers- Decisions would be made as to where it would be appropriate to allow delete and where it would not.

As it stands, double-posts often derail the flow and purpose of a thread, cause tangental replies and friction among the members. Why not take this opportunity to engage the user base to be self-empowered to assist and actually clean-up their own goofs, errors and mistakes. This would allow these capable and overworked individuals ('talkin 'bout you, Mods ;) ) more freedom to create, educate, and more time to bring cool new features and information to the members and public that so eagerly await new Airsoft intel and data from the only truly reliable source.

Let us help you to keep Arnies the best thing in Airsoft News and Information.

Your humble servant,

-Guinness