Tactical Hoodie

xRAZERx

I'm looking for something to go with my new loadout.

I'd like something like the TDA Stealth Hoodie (like Havoc has) but they're quite hard to find and cost a hundred million dollars.

So basicly I'm looking for something softshell, "tactical", with pockets and maybe some velcro.

Any reccomendations and where to get them from in the UK?

Cheers,

xRx

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SORD Hardface Jacket.

Stirling Services flog them over here AFAIK.

Best "tactical" soft-shell on the market in my opinion.

A review I wrote

Can't say anything bad about this jacket (well maybe one or two things).

Majorly comfortable, wind-proof, water-resistant (mines been out in torrential downpours, looked soaked through and I've remaind dry) and stacked with useful pockets.

Other than that the reinforced 1000D areas are excellent for keeping the jacket together and offer a little protection to you.

Downside: The zips are a touch small and impossible to replace with paracord. You can lace it round the zip head however. :D

Pics:

img0372qk8.th.jpg

Whole thing in one.

img0373rp8.th.jpg

Probably the most useful pocket for me. Hold odds and sods that you need in a nice accessible place.

img0374ly9.th.jpg

Good sized pocket on the upper arm with flag velcro. Opposite side velcro is round.

img0375mk2.th.jpg

Waist showing bungee cord.

I've used it for a good while since then and it has been nothing short of outstanding.

I think the chap to contact is sneaky_beaky on Wannabe or ASCUK. That's who I got mine through. They come in Black and Navy also.

The Airsoft side seems to have seperated from Stirling Services to Stirling Airsoft.

The other options are:

http://www.uktactical.com <--- they seem to flog sord kit.

http://sordaustralia.com

WTF is a "tactical" hoodie? God damn I'm beginning to hate that word. Everything you buy now that's black, has MOLLE, velcro, or has any combination of "police", "military", or "combat" in its description is fruitcaging "tactical". I suppose "strategic" hoodies and equipment are next?

Christ.

/rant off

The SORD Soft-Shell came off quite favourably against the TAD (both generations) on Military Moron's site. There are reviews of the SORD, TAD Gen. 1 and TAD Gen. 2 RIGHT HERE.

The main difference seems to be that the SORD has no hood and the material is thicker. Waterproofing seems roughly equal (save for the lack of a hood, obviously).

My TAD Stealth Hoodie hasn't arrived yet, but I finally have a USPS tracking number so it'll be here within a few days. I'll get some photos then.

For what it's worth, by the way, TAD are doing another run of their jackets in early 2007 (you can pre-order now), including a run in plain Black.

Damn that looks nice. Shame about the price tag though :(

Their website is in Aus dollars! I got mine for about £120 which is the cost of a decent civvie soft-shell jacket over in the UK.

Tactical is an exciting marketing buzzword for selling gear... ;)

*currently marketing a tactical speedo and flip-flops*

WTF is a "tactical" hoodie? God damn I'm beginning to hate that word. Everything you buy now that's black, has MOLLE, velcro, or has any combination of "police", "military", or "combat" in its description is fruitcaging "tactical". I suppose "strategic" hoodies and equipment are next?

Christ.

/rant off

It's a hoodie I can wear in tactical situations that has a ###### load of pockets and velcro.

The SORD Soft-Shell came off quite favourably against the TAD (both generations) on Military Moron's site. There are reviews of the SORD, TAD Gen. 1 and TAD Gen. 2 RIGHT HERE.

The main difference seems to be that the SORD has no hood and the material is thicker. Waterproofing seems roughly equal (save for the lack of a hood, obviously).

My TAD Stealth Hoodie hasn't arrived yet, but I finally have a USPS tracking number so it'll be here within a few days. I'll get some photos then.

For what it's worth, by the way, TAD are doing another run of their jackets in early 2007 (you can pre-order now), including a run in plain Black.

I really like the TAD one (lots) but really can't wait because I'm starting to get chilly and when I need something I need it now.

The SORD one looks very very cool and I've found some on Ebay in the UK so i could get it by Wednesday.

Plain black would be tres cool for work...

Tactical refers to clothing designed to be suitable for combat situations, I.E. it is made to higher standards than ordinary clothing, is much tougher, or has features that find specific use in combat.

+1, exactly what I was planning on using it for.... That and looking cool.

xRx :death:

News Flash:

"The current VCRB going through parliament today has a had a fatal flaw put in it, a company marketing a "tactical hoodie" have screwed the future for British airsofters. The main idea behind making RIF owners skirmish to be able to buy them, was to stop "Chavs" and "Yobbos" getting them, as they'd never even be seen dead in full combats and with lots of other sweaty and muddy men. This tactical hoodie has ruined the proposal, as now "Chavs" can feel perfectly at home wearing their "Cultural" dress on the airsoft field, and this means many "Chavs" have now got access to buy airsoft guns, to shoot at police etc. Farewell to British airsoft!"

It does look cool though :P

News Flash:

"The current VCRB going through parliament today has a had a fatal flaw put in it, a company marketing a "tactical hoodie" have screwed the future for British airsofters. The main idea behind making RIF owners skirmish to be able to buy them, was to stop "Chavs" and "Yobbos" getting them, as they'd never even be seen dead in full combats and with lots of other sweaty and muddy men. This tactical hoodie has ruined the proposal, as now "Chavs" can feel perfectly at home wearing their "Cultural" dress on the airsoft field, and this means many "Chavs" have now got access to buy airsoft guns, to shoot at police etc. Farewell to British airsoft!"

It does look cool though :P

You don't know who I am do you... Lol

xRx :death:

I've got the SORD hardface and the Orc Industries softshell, and they're both great jackets when you keep the prices in mind. The MM reviews pretty much sums it all up:

Orc Industries softshell: http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/clothes.2.html

SORD hardface:

http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/clothes.4.html

The Orc softshell pales in comparison to the SORD hardface however (more loose ends, weaker stitching, lighter material, less water resistant, ). The only fault of the SORD jacket is that it lacks a hood, which we can all agree is quite useful in the harsh weather. The jacket itself however, does keep me warmer & drier than the Orc softshell since it's made of a heavier material. The Orc Industries MCU Level 5 is still a great jacket, but you get what you pay for in this instance.

Now I want a TAD hoodie :D

I pulled the little metal guide off the bottom of the main zip on my SORD somehow the other day! Jacket is rock solid other than that and I'll let you know how SORD is with thier aftercare.

Another team-mate just bought one as well. :)

My TAD turned up yesterday. Faultless so far - the design is outstanding. I'm gonna go stand in the rain with it tonight, too :P

Comfortable and suprisingly lightweight, and pockets EVERYWHERE. The hood is excellent, standing up against the back of your neck when zipped up but not 'deployed' to block wind and drizzle.

A couple of other little things I like are the push-through 'button hole' slots in the upper arm and chest pockets, for feeding through comms wires or earphone cables, and the fact that it forms a relatively tight seal around your waist area - it'll stop wind and rain getting up in through the bottom VERY effectively.

Oh, and the UE Grey is very pleasing indeed. A 'tad' (arf) lighter than I thought it'd be, but very nice nonetheless. I struggle to think of anything the same colour - it's a little darker than either a STAR 30rd M4 Realcap, or the darkest grey in the authentic ACU/UCP pattern.

Archived