Tactical Hoodie

xRAZERx

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll get some up tonight for you. Any requests? :P

Yeah wear it to a strip club, take lots of photos and dont forget to use the flash.. :D

nah, just some random shots if you can. Just so i can see something other than the usual 'glamour' shots. Let us know how it does in the rain/cold/wind etc.

Thank you pleaze

I took a whole load.

And here they are - 7 staggeringly sh*t photos.

I'll retake a bunch tomorrow in better light, if that's even possible (BST, be damned!). If not, hang on until the weekend and I'll get some in the afternoon rather than when it's pitch black out there ;)

If they're any good, good. If not, sorry. :unsure:

Hood down:

IMG_2966_copy.jpg

IMG_2968_copy.jpg

Zipped up, hood down but sitting up:

IMG_2969_copy.jpg

IMG_2971_copy.jpg

Hood up:

IMG_2973_copy.jpg

IMG_2974_copy.jpg

With Eagle RRV and kit:

IMG_2981_copy.jpg

It'd appear not, unless I get a bill in a month's time.

Means I've saved myself some cash :D

TAD declared the whole order as worth about $90, which helped a bit too I guess. It was actually worth just over $250, so...!

It'd appear not, unless I get a bill in a month's time.

Means I've saved myself some cash :D

TAD declared the whole order as worth about $90, which helped a bit too I guess. It was actually worth just over $250, so...!

I had an issue like that too. I ordered shemagh from them about 2 weeks back, and after checkout, it showed shipping as 0.00, but it still shipped. I think they may be having trouble with the system. Its likely that whatever form of payment you used got charged the full $250.

EDIT: 200th post, w00t!

-Jake

Used mine last night, in the rain. Great keeping the rain off, plus it looks like it'll rain all weekend so I'll be using it often. Pocket is great for my IPOD, as the chest pockets also have a smaller IPOD-sized 'sub-pocket' to keep the IPOD separate from anything else in there, from falling out/moving, etc.

My thermometer's reading -4 Celcius outside, and there's a slow, biting wind, so I figured why not test it out for warmth?

For this highly scientific (lies) test, I used an issue black Peckham SPEAR Fleece and a TAD Gen.2 Stealth Hoodie. I wasn't wearing a hat (lots of heat is lost from the head), and I was wearing the thicker cotton DCU trousers, for what it's worth. T-shirt on my torso, underneath the 'test items'. Nothing too special.

FIRST TEST: SPEAR FLEECE, ALL ZIPS OPEN

I was frickin' cold. Main zipper was open, as were the pit zips and chest/waist pocket zips. I was shivering straight away. Turn into the wind and it was even worse, as you'd expect.

SECOND TEST: SPEAR FLEECE, ALL ZIPS CLOSED

Marginally better. I was fairly warm in a sheltered area. However, once I stood in the wind, I was chilled again. Wind went right through the fleece. Alright if it's still, I guess. If there's wind, forget it.

THIRD TEST: TAD STEALTH HOODIE, 3/4 ZIPPED UP

Despite being far thinner, I felt almost as warm in this as when the fleece was zipped up. Standing in the wind, what an improvement - little to no feelable wind penetration, so I stayed relatively comfortable. Not as warm as I'd like, but bearable.

FOURTH TEST: TAD HOODIE OVER SPEAR FLEECE, BOTH 3/4 ZIPPED UP

In the sheltered area, the extra layer made quite a difference. Much better, and very toasty. My legs were nippy and my head was COLD, but my torso was nice and warm. Standing into the wind, I noticed no real difference. The wind was stopped by the TAD softshell, and the fleece kept me warm. Great.

CONCLUSIONS

1 - The SPEAR fleece is great down to about freezing, if you have it all done up, and it's still. Beyond that, it gets a bit chilly. If it's windy, forget it - the wind rips right through the fleece.

2 - The TAD softshell stops wind brilliantly. It's not quite as warm as the fleece, but it's far more windproof, so it seems to balance out if there's a breeze or more.

3 - The TAD softshell is designed to be relatively form-fitting when worn alone, but have enough give to comfortably accomodate a fleece underneath with no major loss of movement anywhere. The fleece is marginally longer than the softshell, but roll the bottom and tuck it in once you have the softshell on over it and it's not a problem.

4 - Layers are important. People say it a lot, and it gets ignored by so many people, but it's true. One good windstopper, with a warmth layer underneath, and you're laughing.

I would go for the TAD hoodie rather than the SORD. What's the point in a shell that doesn't have a hood? You might as well carry an umbrella.

I finally wore my tad shell in the wet yesterday, water beaded on the surface as expeceted and started soaking into the material after about 15 minutes but came nowhere near going completely through.

Walking around outside in the cold for about half an hour there was no noticeable buildup of moisture on the inside. Unfortunately I hardly get the chance to do any activities that would really test it's performance ie. vigorous activity in the wet.

I'd take the SORD if I was wearing a bulky vest over it (i.e. a plate carrier of some sort - RAV, CIRAS etc).

I find the hood on the TAD gets in the way of my Eagle RVV, and you have to pull it out over the back of the vest once the vest is on. With a plate carrier on over there, it's going to be a major pain in the *albatross*.

For general useage, though, I think the design of the TAD wins hands down.

Archived