Warrior 1 L96 reports

renegadecow

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if you going to do fix the mag load indicator, make sure that you cut the spring.

i already got a crack on the sear with under 30 shots. i super glue around it.  do you think that would hold.

btw i got the 2nd batch

You got a crack on the sear?

You mean the metal doohickey that holds the piston back is cracked?

If that's cracked then prayer is your best bet. Superglue won't help.

Ok, to prove that I'm not lying out of my *albatross*, I took the risk of taking something apart that already works perfectly well. I do this most of the time anyway on most of my guns, but I had to endure some lengthy photography tips from my brother whose camera I borrowed from. You can also tell from the pics how closely the inner parts resemble that of Maruzens.

DSC_3153.jpg

edit: The semi-transparent goop all over is the hot-glue/glue gun used to reinforce the slots where the sear pins go. Like I said before, apply liberally except for where things move.

Shoot!! I just knew I'd have problems!!

I can't get my magazine to lock into the gun no matter what. I have tried the following as posted by renegadecow on filairsoft.com...

"that the magazine doesn’t seat well into the gun. The magazine seating issue was fixed by turning loose the grub screw affixing the barrel into the receiver, screwing the barrel by one turn to tighten its engagement

with the receiver, and tightening back the grub screw. This effectively brought the mag-well length shorter by 1mm which made the magazine seat perfectly."

...but it didn't help. Any ideas???

Also when I cock the gun you can see the air nozzle (?) moving in and out where the bb's load but there seems to be a bit of friction when it moves in and out - like its not being guided quite straight. Is this normal or something I should worry about?

Thanks

Is the mag catch workin properly?

It was quite stiff on mine at first. Thick layers of paint caused it to bind.

I was a bit concerned about the design of the mag catch at first. I was worried that there is a lot of force on quite a long lump of pot-metal, bolted to the action.

Before I even bolted the action into the gun I worked the mag catch (while supporting the outer part of it) until it moved easily.

When bolted into the gun, of course, the mag catch sits perfectly flush against the front of the hole in the stock so it can't bend when you insert the mag.

Regarding adjusting the barrel length, mine doesn't have any allen screw securing the barrel in place and the outer barrel was already screwed into the receiver completely. It could only turn another 10 degrees or so before tightening completely. I just used threadlok to ensure it stays in place.

In fact, one of the mods I was planning was removing the rail, drilling and tapping a hole through the front of the receiver block and fitting a grub-screw to lock the outer barrel in place. There's certainly not one holding it now.

Oh bugger!! I've just found out what the problem is!! I was packing it all away to give up for the night when I noticed a small bit of metal sitting in the polystyrene box - its part of the mag catch!!

It's supposed to look like this...

magc.jpg

..but without me holding it in place it actually looks like this....

magc2.jpg

I wonder if Fung would send me a new bit? Worth an ask I suppose!

*edit* does anyone know if this part is the same as the one on the Maruzen L96 and if so where can I find one? Searched but have had no luck.

See for yourself.

Bottom of receiver:-

DSC_0925.jpg

Top of receiver (with rail removed):-

DSC_0927.jpg

Incidentally, if you look at the two casting marks on the front of the receiver, my plan was to drill and tap a small hole somewhere thereabouts and fit a grub screw. Having used threadlok on the barrel it's now solid so I won't bother unless it comes loose again (or until I get around to buying a PDI hop-up).

A gratuitous pic of my uncracked trigger housing:-

DSC_0928.jpg

Threadlok is definately your friend with this gun. Rather than tightening the screws it's definately kinder to the gun if owners apply threadlok, just nip the screws and then rely on the threadlok to secure the screws, IMO.

I have deliberately only tightened the screws in the trigger unit using a jewellers screwdriver to avoid overtightening anything.

Incidentally, the only thing about the trigger that I'm finding a problem with is that the glock safety thing tends to stick once you've got a bit of mud or dirt in it.

I'll try fitting a stronger spring (if I can find one) or, if that doesn't work, I'll JB-Weld it up into a solid item.

Regarding the barrel, the mag-catch bracket on mine was loose when I got it. I tightened it but noticed that it could still move as the barrel turned. That was when I applied the threadlok to the barrel.

Of course, once the assembly is inserted in the gun, nothing can move because the mag catch is trapped inside the stock.

I just don't really like the idea of one part relying on another part for it's integrity.

While the gun was in bits I decided to have a look at the trigger safety.

After removing the trigger from the housing it was clear that the trigger safety was binding with the main part of the trigger.

I hammered out the tiny pin which secures the trigger safety and it came to bits.

First thing I noticed was that the spring is a similar type to the infamous M9 trigger-bar spring. It's very small and weedy.

Here's a pic of the standard bits.

DSC_0930.jpg

I folded up a bit of sandpaper and ran it along inside the slot in the trigger and improved the way the trigger safety fits. The spring is still pretty weedy though and the position where it lives isn't very well cast. As a result, I suspect the spring doesn't stay in there very solidly. I imagine it spends most of it's time getting wedged in the gap between the 2 parts of the trigger.

I got a pair of needle-nose pliers and put a right-angle bend in the last 2mm of the spring, as you can see in this pic:-

DSC_0931.jpg

Instead of that leg of the spring just sitting in the slot in the trigger safety I've positioned it so it now hooks over the back of the trigger safety.

The result is that the trigger safety works MUCH more positively and pulling the trigger-safety now gives you a bit of feedback, sort of like a first stage of the trigger pull.

A very nice little mod, IMO. ;)

I've had a reply from Fung with regards my broken mag catch and he has told me that a few people in HK have broken theirs too whilst assembling/disassembling the gun. I don't want to give this gun any uneccessary bad press and I am of the opinion that it was my fault that the mag catch broke.

Rather than sit down quietly and concentrate after picking up both guns (MP001 as well) I went to my brothers house where we both excitedly ripped open the package and delved into the boxes like a couple of kids at christmas time. I do remember seeing the mag catch at right angles to the rest of the unit which if you look you will see why that snapped off the broken bit. I am fairly certain that one of us applied undue pressure causing the break.

Its actually quite a clean break so I'm wondering if there is anything strong enough to 'glue' it back on to the catch - any suggestions? What sort of pressure does the mag seem to apply to this part - can you tell?

Can one of you guys next time you have your gun apart, take a photo of your mag catch just so I can make sure I'm not missing anything else?

Also I have loosened the grub screw that holds the outer barrel and this has resolved the friction issue as suggested by renegadecow (thanks for that!).

Also I have loosened the grub screw that holds the outer barrel and this has resolved the friction issue as suggested by renegadecow (thanks for that!).

Eh?

You have loosened the grub screw that I don't have on my gun?

Can you post a pic of this grub-screw please?

Regarding the mag catch, you should be able to make it work without the broken piece.

As long as there's something springy pushing the top half of the mag catch toward the mag it should work properly.

What's happened is that when the catch has broken it's pivoted around and the spring has fallen out.

If I was you I'd simply cut a couple of bits of sticky-fixer to pad the catch and it should work. Not ideal but it'll work.

Here's a pic to show what I mean:-

Drawing A shows the way the mag catch is supposed to work.

Drawing B shows how you could replace the spring with a couple of sticky-fixers.

Drawing1.jpg

Eh?

You have loosened the grub screw that I don't have on my gun?

Can you post a pic of this grub-screw please?

Regarding the mag catch, you should be able to make it work without the broken piece.

As long as there's something springy pushing the top half of the mag catch toward the mag it should work properly.

What's happened is that when the catch has broken it's pivoted around and the spring has fallen out.

If I was you I'd simply cut a couple of bits of sticky-fixer to pad the catch and it should work. Not ideal but it'll work.

Pictures to follow in a few minutes.

Having just found the mag catch spring and ###### myself thinking "oh no now what!!", I can see exactly how the mag catch works now. Yeah I can see what you're saying about something springy - I'll have a play.

Pic of grub screw in its way.....

I stripped my L96 to make a couple of fixes (glue back the weights, fix the empty mag indicator...). I want to open the trigger box to do the "hot glue trick". I removed the 2 screws holding the trigger box in position, but I cannot remove it...What shall I do ? Force on it ? Remove piston first ? (how then ?)

Thanks.

I stripped my L96 to make a couple of fixes (glue back the weights, fix the empty mag indicator...). I want to open the trigger box to do the "hot glue trick". I removed the 2 screws holding the trigger box in position, but I cannot remove it...What shall I do ? Force on it ? Remove piston first ? (how then ?)

Thanks.

Why do it now? It may not even crack - Stealthbombers hasn't yet.

Archived