storing gas mags

Smith5

There could be a blaitantly obvious answer to this question but I fail to see it, so im asking anyway.

I know that your meant to store your mags with just a little gas in them to keep the seals fresh and ive been doing that for as long as I can remember. But it came to me the other day that surely even with a small quick shot of gas in (which is how I store mine), the seals in the mag will still be under some pressure, and so will still be getting some wear on them.

Would it not be sensible to store the mag empty so that none of the parts are under any sort of pressure to help preserve/extend the life of the mag.

If this is a stupid question, my bad, but I cant see the logic in storing mags with gas in them at the moment?!

Everytime I've stored my mags, they have been fully empty beforehand (no bb's or gas in the mag whatsoever) and they still work fine. I've done this since I've owned them with no problems.

Everytime I go to use them, or put them away, I just apply a couple of drops/spray (depending on what silicone lube I have at the time) to the valves to keep them moist, seems to do the trick.

I think you're right about storing mags with gas in them. I'm not sure weither it actually does any harm or not, but the way I see it, gas expands and retracts at different temperatures. If the mags were kept in a warm place with a little gas in them, then surely that will create more unneccesary pressure inside the mag and on the seals? I may be wrong, and it could probably do no damage to the mag whatsoever, but hey.

Its definately an interesting point though Smith5

As Sadigh says,

Storing mags with gas in, long term, is bullsh#t as the system is under stress. If you are storing long term completely de-gas then press the valve in with your finger and give it a good blast with silicon oil spray. Dab the valve a couple of times to make sure the oil is nicely distributed and chuck it in the draw.

If gas is in the mag then you are squashing the seals when they need not be so let them be at atmospheric pressure.

Whether you store the magazines empty or pressurized seems to be a matter of taste. For some people different things seem to do the trick.

But storing even a little bit of gas in the magazine is the same as leaving them full. The pressure is virtually the same.

-Sale

Well....

In my experience you MUST store mags with gas in.

I have a bag here with 30-odd mags in, stored for almost a year. ALL the ones with gas in are working. Roughly 50% of the empty ones now leak.

The problem seems to be that the o-rings relax into a position where they don't create a gas-tight seal. When you re-gas the mags then your seal can leak gas and it has nothing to compel it to reseal.

I never saw the point in keeping mags gassed but I do now. It's real and it works.

Well....

In my experience you MUST store mags with gas in.

I have a bag here with 30-odd mags in, stored for almost a year. ALL the ones with gas in are working. Roughly 50% of the empty ones now leak.

The problem seems to be that the o-rings relax into a position where they don't create a gas-tight seal. When you re-gas the mags then your seal can leak gas and it has nothing to compel it to reseal.

I never saw the point in keeping mags gassed but I do now. It's real and it works.

QFT.

I never though it mattered much, but now I have a problematic TM hicapa mag and a KSC Mk23 mag. A little gas goes a long way towards saving your mags, if they're going inot long term storage.

To get "a little gas" in my mags, I fill them, and shoot them off as fast as I can. They get cold, and I put them away. There will be residual gas in the cold mag, so as it warms pressure will increase. Try letting a mag shot till its quite cold sitting for a bit, then pressing the valve...you'll get a gentle fart of gas.

Half the problem here is Oring specification...if our mags were a bit nicer, you wouldn't need a little gas to keep them happy.

• 3 months later...
i use a special grren gas that has silicone lube in it, so you dont need to lube the gun

And snake oil cures cancer and AIDS.

Leave gas in the magazines and lube the gun manually. And remember to keep it clean as well.

-Sale

Archived