Tokyo Marui Glock 17 Newest 3rd Gen Pistol

Well I have managed to get my hands on Tokyo Marui's latest 3rd generation Pistol (The Glock 17 for those that didn’t read the title). This is the first of a new line that Tokyo Marui intends to bring out of the course of this year and next. It seems that Marui has placed the AESMP (Automatic Electric Small Machine Pistol) range on hold and only releasing one a year, while they release as many pistols as they can into the market. Next in line for us is the Desert Eagle .50 AE 10 inch, but that’s for another time! Let’s take a look at the new Glock!

Straight away Tokyo Marui is going for eye candy for the boxes of its new gun and they haven’t failed the new Glock17. The out side of the box is a stylish black and white montage.

glock17boxmediumbb3.jpg

Now one of the things that stand’s out is the night sights displayed on the front! Yes that’s right Marui decided to ship them with the sights but more to that later!

Unlike the new Tokyo Marui M1911A1 the inside of the box is a slight let down, and is backed in the hard polystyrene box that we have all come to love and hate, although it does have a plus side for those who order overseas as the gun fits snugly into the packaging and doesn’t float around the box like the M1911A1 did.

glockbox2mediumrp6.jpg

Taking the gun out of the box was a joy in it’s self. Being a KSC Glock owner I have always wanted the G17, but have always been put off by the light weight frame. Well now I can. The lower body of the Marui G17 is around the same weight as the KSC heavy weight G17 or G23.

glock17mediumkg1.jpg

The trades on the Marui are also good, especially on the slide where they are cut deep, although for buyers living in countries where trades are removed it’s going to make a real mess of the gun.

trades1mediumod1.jpg

trades2mediumcx9.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the drawbacks for the Marui is the markings on the frame. On the KCS it has the military markings such as “Mil. Spec. Standard” But the Marui has its “Made in Japan” and other markings on which is a bit of a let down for serious collects of accurate models although it does have the Glock logo on the left side of the lower frame that the KSC doesn’t.

glock172mediumvx7.jpg

The feel of the gun is great and it’s very hard to tell the difference between the KSC and the Marui heavy weight frames and I’m happy to say that the Marui has that warm to the touch feel to it. The weight and the balance of the Marui Glock 17 is fantastic and weighs in a little lighter than a real Glock 17 (This can be corrected with a metal slide that I’m sure will be out by third parties within the month)

lowerbodymediumrs2.jpg

The Slide which houses the hop-up unit is of a high quality ABS and hgas a reinforced metal brace running through the inside, saying this though I wouldn’t feel happy running anything but HFC134a through it until I had a metal slide. Another bonus that the Marui has over its KSC counterpart is that it has a metal stop plate at the back of the slide, unlike the weak plastic one KSC are shipped with.

Looking inside the slide you’ll find the usual high grade Hop-unit, which is easy to access once you have broken the gun down. It’s easy to dial but you won’t find it slipping throughout a days heavy skirmishing.

slidemediumun6.jpg

Putting the gun back and cycling the slide you’ll feel a very fluid action, as well as a crisp snap back action. Needless to say the action is magnified when you fire it.

Shooting the Tokyo Marui is a joy. The fluid blow back offers a real hard kick while the legendary Marui hop unit provides exceptional groups at around 20 meters. (I will put the Glock through its paces tomorrow on the range and through the field test at the game on Sunday.)

Making it safe, just like the real Glock the Tokyo Marui has the same trigger system, but be warned it will not flick up like the KSC to form a lock down system forcing the inner trigger up will damage the trigger. So Marui uses the same safety on the G17 as they did the G26. Just slide the serial number across and the gun is placed into safety mode.

safetymediummr3.jpg

As I mentioned before the Tokyo Marui Glock 17 does come with the night sights in the packaging. Now these are really nicely done and come complete with the Glock logos on top of both the front and rear sights.

nightsightmediumon5.jpg

These are very easy to interchange with the original sights and don’t require you to glue them in like the KSC sights.

So there you have it, Tokyo Marui’s newest arrival!

Conclusion:

Now I must say that I’m impressed with the new Tokyo Marui Glock17, the quality is what we have come to expect from them and for an amazing $105.00 USD you can’t go wrong! There are a few niggles like the Marui trades and they do make up for it by placing the Glock logo on the oppersite side.

Pro’s

[*] Finally a heavy weight Glock 17

[*] Marui Hop-Unit

[*] Free night sights

[*] $105.00 USD (Cheaper if you buy in Japan)

[*] Compatible with previous Glock magazines

Con’s

[*] Marui Trades rather than Glock

[*] Non flip up trigger safety

Far East- is it normal for an airsoft company to be so.. slow with their releases? If it were me, i'd crack on with churning out the whole AEP range and make the other guns that people are crying out for! I often wonder just how much market research airsoft companies do, as there are surely some better selling ideas out there than making a gun that has been done before.

Still the gun itself looks nice. It would be nice to see what the recoil is comparable to, shots per gas fill and fps, sometime.

As for hop up - are we looking at a KSC style adjustment or a TM P226 style adjustment?

Great review, keep it up mate :)

Far East- is it normal for an airsoft company to be so.. slow with their releases? If it were me, i'd crack on with churning out the whole AEP range and make the other guns that people are crying out for! I often wonder just how much market research airsoft companies do, as there are surely some better selling ideas out there than making a gun that has been done before.

Still the gun itself looks nice. It would be nice to see what the recoil is comparable to, shots per gas fill and fps, sometime.

As for hop up - are we looking at a KSC style adjustment or a TM P226 style adjustment?

Tokyo Marui doesn't just release things quickly, because unlike every other airsoft company out there, they don't want to have to release a almost perfect product the first time. They actually do qc testing. Unlike companies like, CA, ICS, G&P, G&G they only release 1 version. Its like comparing the TM M16 to the CA M15, sure the m15 *might* have some advantages, however, the most modern m15 is what, the 8.0 version? And TM is still on their first.... i would rather get a TM that they took a long time making, and will work flawlessly then a piece of ###### pumped out in 10mins.

Edited by MarsdenH
Whats it like compared to the tm 1911 fareast? If it uses the same system and is as accurate and a nice blowback, then i will be buying one of these ^_^

Gas consumption of the Glock is far better; the blow back is also a little stronger in the Glock. As for comparison to the M1911A1. Well I think I actually prefer the 1911 over the Glock. I already own a G19, G18c, G23f and now the G17 so the 1911 was something totally different, so I prefer it for totally esthetic reasons. If I was to have to choose which one to take on the field with me then 1st choice would be the Glock.

Hop unit on this is identical to all 3rd Gen guns by Marui, but remember the lay out is different in each one due to design and space within the gun.

As for the accuracy, well from what i got from it in only 5 minutes on the range at 20 meters I was very impressed, with a metal slide and Green gas (Which alas I can't use here in Japan :( ) this will be an amazing gun to shoot.

More likely to be HFC ones. The HFC G17 is based on the TM G26, just with a longer slide and grip. And I think TM G26 Advance mags were 17 sized.

:zorro:

Ok as far as i know the TM Glock 17 is only compatible with the TM G26 magazines, with regards to HFC I couldn't tell you as I do not own any of those guns. Also there are no guns at present made by either KSC or TM where you can interchange the magazines.

You have to remember that all Japanese Airsoft companies are only interested in their domestic market, crazy as it seems but they really are not interested in the rest of the world and it's why I have predicted a collapse of the Japanese manufactures in the next 5 years. Tokyo Marui won’t even ship directly to the US. So the guns you see released are catering only for the Japanese domestic market.

As for how and when they release their guns. You need to remember that TM have a reputation both here and abroad for high quality so TM guns have a very good QA process that they all need to pass. Also just releasing everything you have in one go isn’t good business, You release several guns in a year and you can pretty much guarantee a huge hype surrounding each one and maximum sales, release 3-4 guns very close together and people are going to be a lot more choosey about which one they get due to limited budgets.

You also need to remember that TM isn’t this huge corporation churning out guns, it’s a family business that survived the boom and filled a vacuum when 90% of all the other Airsoft manufactures went under.

Thank you.

As for TM being better quality, i often think that you can hear it allmost in the gearboxes. They sound nicely shimmed. So yes, you guys are right.

But surely TM SHOULD become interested in the international market. Theres money to be made, lots of.

This metal slide - is that as standard?