AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i thought i would post some pictures of my latest project.

it's a ca 105 converted into a AKM

its still a bit off from finishing but i'm nearly there.

It has a real steel stock and lower foregrip and just needs a upper foregrip to complete that part.

I will probably spray paint the front parts to colour match and the pistol grip needs a little something. I'm not sure of the colour. the camera makes it look brighter than it is.

Looks like a nice project gun. I'd either dye the pistol grip or get a new one. Keep us updated and good luck!

the bottom foregrip was actually taken from an AKM so i might stick with it.

It couldn't have been taken from an AKM... unless it was a field repair of sorts using older parts. All the wood on that gun is AK-47 wood, looks fifties - solid wood, not plywood... from the sixties onwards Polish AKs had plywood furniture of the same shape as the old solid wood furniture such as yours, until they were replaced by AKMs with completly new furniture of different design.

I'm not sure about AKs from other countries... Either way, this is fifties AK, not AKM, furniture there... AKM furniture is made of laminate plywood, has a different angled stock, grip-enhancing bulges on the sides of the lower handguard, and no metal reinforcement on the back of the lower handguard.

That's an AK-74 gas block there! No AKM ever had a 90-degree gas block. In fact, early AK-74s started with a 45-degree gas block, inherited from AKM (verify here: http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/variants.html )

In my old AKMSN conversion, I simply grinded the sling mount section off from an AK (CM 028) gas block, making a pretty good likeness of an AKM block.

Seriously... an AK-74 part simply doesn't work... and it clashes real bad with the furniture (not just one, but TWO generations apart! Three, if you count the "straight" and "broken" variations of AKM gas blocks as two separate generations... ). Don't get me wrong, the gun looks great, but it doesn't work as a replica of any particular model...

Go back to the AK gas block, just alter it like I said. If you need pics of what I did, just tell me and I'll post them :)

EDIT: I've just realized that the lower handguard you have there is INDEED made of laminate plywood! But it's still not an AKM part - laminate AK furniture was made in in the sixties, just before AKM was adopted...

Edited by jonboy2312

That's not a Russian AKM on most of those photos... but I forgot what make it is! Bulgarian, Romanian, Hungarian... something of south, mid or eastern European origin - and that pistol grip, shaped like the "roman 1" in italics, is supposed to be its regocnizable feature...

Anyway, it's not a pure AKM as it still has the old gas tube with 4 holes in rows on both sides, as well as solid wood furniture with no bulges on the handguard.

What particular version or model are you going for, anyway? :)

I mentioned photos of what I did to the basic TM/Cyma AK gas block to make it resemble an AKM unit... so here's a bunch of photos of my previous project gun - an AKMSN based on a CM 028S :)

dsc0103dl6.jpg

dsc0099yr5.jpg

dsc0100bl6.jpg

dsc0097be9.jpg

dsc0096tr3.jpg

dsc0094yo8.jpg

the beauty of the Ak is that 50 million where made so whatever it turns out like it won't be far of a real steel one out there somewhere :)

I might take the wood furniture off this one:

AK74Mwithrealwood.jpg

and attach it to the AKM. that would probably look better.

I am also waiting for gunner to get some laminated AK stock sets back in stock and maybe use that instead.

No way, the 74 and 47 are quite different. The 74 has a different receiver, which is milled. The handgrip is different, and they have different wood grips.

As well as a different barrel for 5.45mm rounds, straight stock, different flash suppressor, and black or bakelite mags with less curvature than AK47 mags.

No way, the 74 and 47 are quite different. The 74 has a different receiver, which is milled. The handgrip is different, and they have different wood grips.

BZZZZZZZT!!

Sorry son, but you're incorrect. The AK74 has a stamped receiver. The AK47 has a milled receiver.

But thanks for playing.