AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You either love it or hate it. AKS47S custom tactical. AK purists, avert your eyes now.

the googles! they do nothing!

anyhoo, shouldnt it really be called the AK104-U tactical, as the use of modern magazines and reciever etc would make it more of an AK104, its a shorter version of the (already folding stock, so 'S' isnt nececary) 104 hence the u.

Nope, gas tube, not the gas chamber. And There is no actual AKS-47S. It's often something made using kits like the Bulgarian ones. Although, there were prototypes of the AKS-74u chambered in 7.62 as well as 5.56. I prefer the idea of just a customized weapon to my liking. And no, the M83 rail can't be turned around without a painful amount of modification. Getting my real surefire M83 to fit onto a krink style AK was enough dremeling for me.

Gunrunner, that is a gorgeous AK. Is that a real stock on it?

yes i know theres no such thing as an AKS47S, what i was saying is that you'd have got the name wrong.

first of all, it has 2 'S's in it, 'S' signifies that it has a folding stock, that only has the one, not 2 ;) , second '47' is refering to the year the gun was made and considering that is based on an AKS74U it should either be a prototype 74 or a custom AK104, you didnt put a 'U' in which signifies it is a shortened AK.

so due to the fact that 7.62 chambered 74Us never made it past proto (to my knowledge), wouldnt it be better to call it a shortened AK104 (AK104-U) with a rail system and old school stock (as the AK100s have folders as standard). so yeah it would still be heavily customised, but if anything AK104U would be it's proper name

I had a similar discussion with a friend of mine. Although the AK104 is the modern 7.62 shooter, it would take modification to the point where it would essentially no longer be recognizable as an AK104. Seeing as the kits that would do this kind of modification are labled as an AKS-47S kit, I chose to stick with that name. Either way, there are many things you could call it. AK104U custom could work. But since it's a frankengun, it doesn't matter to me too much.

And the biggest reasoning behind going this complicated name giving route lies with the fact that I don't want to have to get new magazines for my newest AK variant. If I wanted to spend money on a bunch of midcap 74 magazines, it would simply be an AKS-74U with a surefire M83 rail. The name is merely to make it clear that it is possible to have an AK set up like an AKS-74U that fires 7.62 (no matter how uncontrollable this configuration might be in real life. But hey, that's why it's airsoft, right?)

Edited by AussyMurphy