AK & Variants Picture Thread

Got me a Kalash AKS74 recently. Installed some Guarder wood grips, thanks to thegunrunner. Looks way better than the original wood, but I'm not too pleased about the overal quality of the Kalash... My bolt broke off, my stock wobles and the paint on the barrel seems to scratch easily. Sure, it's frikkin good for the money, but still... So I might put an Inokatsu kit over it. They're pretty cheap these days anyway :)

DSC_1669.jpg

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stottman comes to the rescue once again:

RPKS-74

Here are two different versions. The top was made in 92. The 93 made version features a 4 position selector, a carry handle, flash hider, bakalite upper handguard, scope rail, and some other smaller differences.

RomRPK74s.jpg

Rear site-

RomRPK74rearsite.jpg

1992 made weapon-

RomRPK74earlyleft.jpg

RomRPK74earlymarkings.jpg

RomRPK74earlyselector.jpg

1993 made weapon-

RomRPK7493left.jpg

RomRPK7493markings.jpg

RomRPK7493selector.jpg

BIG POST WARNING

This is a modified copy of my post on AirsoftCanada, sorry if somethings seem out of context, I tried to clean it up as much as I could.

Started out here:

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=45006

Started out as a TM, but with a Cyma CM02 mechbox.

External parts:

-King Arms metal AK-74 stamped style body

-King Arms metal front end set

-Cheap Chinese AK-74 wood kit

-Element steel ribbed top

-Element black pistol grip

-King Arms AK-74/AKM steel safety lever.

-ICS Bolt for a nice large recoil spring, heavy bolt carrier, more bolt travel, and to get rid of that stupid flimsy plastic TM battery tray, which I broke in several places. Wasn't hard to install either. Give a very nice clack.

External work:

-Got rid of the disgusting flat black paint (and the gloss black paint, which ended up being even worse), in fact I'm done with paint altogether.

-Used firearm cold bluing solution to blue pretty much... everything. I can write a huge post about how that went and what I learned, but that would take a long time, maybe sometime later if anyone is curious. Still don't know why the KA "steel" safety lever didn't take blue properly.

-Reshaped the lower handguard to AKM shape (shortened and rounded)

Gave the wood 4 stains of stain, but since it's soft wood, it needed a sealant solution first, which I didn't use, thus it's a little spotty, especially on the stock.

-Gave the wood a coat of clearcoat. Said - "Quick Drying 4-6 hours". 32 hours later, and it was still kinda sticky. I guess I put on too thick of a coat. Said screw it, installed the wood, and played around with it. It lost some of it's gloss and blackened in some areas due to it not drying completely. Oh well.

-The bluing and the wood work didn't go perfect, thus the gun does look "used" in some areas. Wasn't my intention, but so much for letting it earn it's own wear from the start. Will still get it's share of action and wear soon enough.

Internal upgrades:

Element M115 spring

Element V3 bearing spring guide

Area1000 metal bushings

Chronied it at 390fps with .2gs

Things still needing to be done:

-Need to fill the holes on the gas pipe with JBweld for the AKM look

-Do some cutting/filing and such on the gas port.

-Cut up the front sight, shorten it and JBweld it back together for the AKM look. I'm awaiting to hear results from a fellow ASC member who is also building an AKM, who will test bluing on his JBwelded parts.

-Dye the pistol grip to a brown/orangish bakelite color.

-Dye or somehow finish the bakelite mags to a reddish/orange bakelite color.

-Someday I might redo the wood and the bluing. Someday. Not in the near future.

-Insert steel drum mag into the magwell when it arrives :P

Alright, on with the show!!

DSC02191.jpg

DSC02192.jpg

DSC02194.jpg

DSC02195.jpg

DSC02198.jpg

DSC02199.jpg

DSC02201.jpg

DSC02209.jpg

DSC02193.jpg

DSC02208.jpg

Cheers,

Alex

Here is it's lil cousin that is still getting built. It will be an AKM/AK pistol. So far it's a Kraken AK (Rebranded Cyma AK with a clear body and OD grips, sold in Canada due to the clear body) with an Element stamped style AKM/AK-74 metal body, ICS ribbed steel top cover, KA pistolgrip, RPK plywood foregrips, and a TM thread protector. What I plan to do to that one is replace the gas pipe/port and front sight with a TM Spetz front sight, and chop the barrel to fit, so it will end right after the handguards. Also need to get an AKM slanted brake for it, restain the wood, get a metal front set, and rewire it to the top. Maybe someday mod one of those new KA AKMS folding stocks onto the body. The bluing turned out rusty/uneven. Oh well once again. Someday - redo. For now it will be fine.

DSC02204.jpg

DSC02203.jpg

DSC02210.jpg

DSC02211.jpg

DSC02156.jpg

Ha, grim you just now found the cleaning kit area? I knew before hand that it would be there, and when I got in my furniture kit, it's one of the first things I looked at. Dosen't seem that deep, yes you would cut that middle part, but you'd have to do more cuts along the perimeter to make the opening bigger. You'd also have to make the opening deeper. From my calculations, I could probably get a crane stock battery in there, a mini 8.4v battery, quite possibly a 8.4v large, but not anything bigger.

i did a little more work on the rpks-74.

romanian3.jpg

romanian2.jpg

romanian1.jpg

I now need to mod the elements receiver to have the strengtheners, fit some laminated wooden fore grips (in the post), add a RS windage sight (if i can find one!) and mod the RS mag into a Hicap.

I'm toying with the idea of making the carry handle. I don't think it will be too big of a job. I also have a drum mag here which i might mod to take a 9.6v 3000Mah battery

Edited by mightyjebus
ancorp: The bluing on the stockless AK soon-to-be-AK pistol actually looks really nice and worn in. Keep it that way. ;)

I'd probably do the same to my Inokatsu but it looks so nice and pristine still...

Hah, let the Inokatsu earn it's own wear. Thanks for the comments. It was a pain in the *albatross* compared to what you can do on your AK, since yours is steel, and the receiver on that AK pistol is... potmetal Element branded. Not really meant to be blued at all.

Mightyjebus,

Are there drums for RPK-74s at all? I haven't seen a 5.45 drum... what you need is some 45 rounder 5.45 style mags, Such as these:

http://www.boomarms.com/sc/viewproductdeta...?ProductID=2016

Very interesting model you picked, never seen an RPK with a stock such as that.

Edited by ancorp

kinda. there were experimental 75 round flat pan drums made, but theyre impossible even for soldiers to get hold of. i might try to make one out of an RPD mag at some point.

here is a rather odd looking plum one on an equally bizzare looking magazine/belt fed hybrid RPK

and here is a much nicer looking one (appears to be steel and bakelite) on the kalashnikov site

im kinda starting to like the later model romanian RPK, it might look better with a mag in. shame the correct romanian 40 rounders are like hens teeth. i'd be interested to see what it would look like with a 45 round bakelite.

Edited by my_plague_666

I've seen RPK windage rear sights here and there. Instead of bluing, why not something close to real AK paintjobs? From what I've learned on building real AK's, you can use this type of paint that comes in a can, I'll look it up to see what it was if you want. From what I remember, anything with a stamped reciever has a paint job, with only the AK47's and AKS47's that where blued. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

I've seen RPK windage rear sights here and there. Instead of bluing, why not something close to real AK paintjobs? From what I've learned on building real AK's, you can use this type of paint that comes in a can, I'll look it up to see what it was if you want. From what I remember, anything with a stamped reciever has a paint job, with only the AK47's and AKS47's that where blued. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Uh oh. I think you may possibly just ruined several weeks of work for me. I was also thinking of that, but still leaned towards bluing. Paint/info on what Russian AKMs use would be great.