AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I've seen that here in the states, civi AK's are usually blued too.

What I've heard from RS AK builder that like to give their AK's a proper finish, you can use something called Moly Resin in black, Dura coat from http://www.lauerweaponry.com/ , Dupli-color 500 or 1200 degree with ceramic. Moly resin and the Dura coat would need you to heat up your reciever, which you probably don't want to do. The Dupli color would be the best choice, but needs up to 3 days to dry. This is what I got from my sources.

I'm feeling pretty good, I might be getting some RS East German AK74 magazines for airsoft conversion for $10 a piece :). I hope this deals goes through.

:P

So I wanted to get as close as possible to this:

AK41A1.png

With my AK47 project...

AK4710_sml.png

AK472_sml.png

AK475_sml.png

CYMA AK47

G&P Metal Body

Bomber Wood Kit

AK476_sml.png

AK479a_sml.png

AK478_sml.png

Slainte!

Edited by Guinness
I believe it is you who is talking out of your *albatross*. Do you know how clone guns can get their prices to be so low? Lack of R&D, lower employee salaries, and MATERIALS. Why would a company like Echo 1 make their guns out of machined or forged aluminum? It's way more expensive for them to do that, and they'd have only marginal gains from it.

Back to AK discussion!

A picture of my Inokatsu AKS-74 as retribution for this tangent: (Might be a repost, though, since I posted a few pics over the summer when I first took them)

No *beep* shirlock!

Until you test samples from all the receivers your talking out your *albatross*. Sorry but thats the truth. A metal monkey like you should atleast know that? :)

that looks awesome guinness. i always thought those '47 pics on tantal looked beautiful. just get some proper laminated AK47 (not 74 like you have) wood (just laminated if not real steel) and re-stain and laquer it. maybe something like this re stained/laquered to that orangey colour in tantal's photos.

is that the same painting technique you used on your M500?

odd how IMO the oldest AK model looks the best in factory fresh condition. everything else looks better beat up a bit :P

My meager AK collection:

GWS Bizon + Guarder/BoomArms AKS-74U

bizonvsaks74u01smallzq8.jpg

bizonvsaks74u02smallaq5.jpg

The GWS Bizon... the jury's still out on that one. It's from the limited 50 unit production run. I had GWS install a G&P 7mm Gear Box, First Gears, PDI 1*0% Spring, Deans Connectors and they even threw in a 8.4V 1400mah Intellect battery. It came with 7 hi-cap mags total, all of which I'm in the process of adapting into mid-caps.

The AKS-74U is the exact same one that was featured in Titleist's AKS-74U Review (and by "the exact same one" I mean literally that. I bought his off him :D ). It's the Guarder kit installed and upgraded by BoomArms. Freakin' amazing gun... and one of the few instances in which I've bought something from another member and not gotten burned on the deal (I've gotten burned on 95% of my other member based purchases :angry: ).

The GWS Bizon's all steel externals are nice... but I think I'm a little spoiled by the Guarder AKS-74U's quality. Let's just say it was pretty disconcerting to open a highly dented GWS box, find next to no packing material, the outer pistol grip broken, some minor scratches on the front handguard, one of my spare mags broken, and the upper receiver cover popped off (turns out it's not hinged, and only held on there by tension)... I was less than pleased. Waiting to see what GWS plans to do about this. Firing wise... I test fired it with one of my 9.6V 1100mah batteries... decent. To be honest, the hinge mechanism they have at the front of the mag is pretty weak and probably won't last under skirmishing circumstances. I'm hoping I can remedy that on my end.

Looks hot! :D

But get a AK74 mag to ur SU instad of a AKM mag, it have the wrong caliber for that gun.

LOL... then your stomach's really gonna churn when I tell you I usually only use CA AK47 mid-caps in her. Just makes it easier when I go to a skirmish packing the AK74-SU and one of my SR47s. :)

Why not pick up a pack of MAG mid caps? Cheap as anything to go with a beautiful gun

Tried the MAG mid caps at the store with both my Guarder AK and SR47. They wouldn't fit in either gun. Whereas the CA Mid-caps fed and worked perfectly in my AK, and only needed a tiny notch cut into the back to consistently work with my SR47. Trust me. Both myself and my wallet really wanted those MAG mid caps to work. And I will never, ever, again try G&P mags.

Edit: BTW, can someone measure the length of an RPK mag for me please? I'm trying to figure out if the Bizon mags would fit in a RPK mag pouch. Thanks!

Edited by uscmCorps

My 7.62 40rnder is 27cm at it's longest point (measuring straight, not round the curve), it fits nicely into more modern pouches designed for 5.45 45rnders.

About the G&P mags, which ones have you tried previously? I know their Armalite ones are generally wank but their recent AK ones are generally regarded as being quite good, I've certainly never had any problems with my selection.

Edited by Hoppum
My 7.62 40rnder is 27cm at it's longest point (measuring straight, not round the curve), it fits nicely into more modern pouches designed for 5.45 45rnders.

About the G&P mags, which ones have you tried previously? I know their Armalite ones are generally wank but their recent AK ones are generally regarded as being quite good, I've certainly never had any problems with my selection.

Thanks for the info! Regarding the G&P AK mags... I have about 12-13 of them. Almost all of them are lemons. :( I do prefer the finish on them than on my CA mags, but in the end... I just need mags that work regardless of how they look.

that looks awesome guinness. i always thought those '47 pics on tantal looked beautiful. just get some proper laminated AK47 (not 74 like you have) wood (just laminated if not real steel) and re-stain and laquer it. maybe something like this re stained/laquered to that orangey colour in tantal's photos.

is that the same painting technique you used on your M500?

odd how IMO the oldest AK model looks the best in factory fresh condition. everything else looks better beat up a bit :P

Thanks guys!

Actually, both the '47 and the '74 have had the steel wool treatment to cut the chalky oxidized layer of paint down, then rubbed with a clean cloth for a shine. So they both have had some 'aging' done to them. On the '47, it's no special painting technique, just a liberal use of silicone spray ;)

As for the furniture, I received the gun from my buddy that way, all I have done so far is to add the G&P MBK. I have been looking for RS stuff, but so far cannot find matching pieces- just the lower handguard.

My meager AK collection:

GWS Bizon + Guarder/BoomArms AKS-74U

The GWS Bizon... the jury's still out on that one. It's from the limited 50 unit production run. I had GWS install a G&P 7mm Gear Box, First Gears, PDI 1*0% Spring, Deans Connectors and they even threw in a 8.4V 1400mah Intellect battery. It came with 7 hi-cap mags total, all of which I'm in the process of adapting into mid-caps.

The AKS-74U is the exact same one that was featured in Titleist's AKS-74U Review (and by "the exact same one" I mean literally that. I bought his off him :D ). It's the Guarder kit installed and upgraded by BoomArms. Freakin' amazing gun... and one of the few instances in which I've bought something from another member and not gotten burned on the deal (I've gotten burned on 95% of my other member based purchases :angry: ).

The GWS Bizon's all steel externals are nice... but I think I'm a little spoiled by the Guarder AKS-74U's quality. Let's just say it was pretty disconcerting to open a highly dented GWS box, find next to no packing material, the outer pistol grip broken, some minor scratches on the front handguard, one of my spare mags broken, and the upper receiver cover popped off (turns out it's not hinged, and only held on there by tension)... I was less than pleased. Waiting to see what GWS plans to do about this. Firing wise... I test fired it with one of my 9.6V 1100mah batteries... decent. To be honest, the hinge mechanism they have at the front of the mag is pretty weak and probably won't last under skirmishing circumstances. I'm hoping I can remedy that on my end.

How much you want for the bizon? :P