AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice work I see all over this thread. I got some questions for those AK experts:

1.)Why and how do you color the black plastic parts of the AKM74 to an dark aubergine ?

2.)What lowcaps are best and most realsteel to buy for an AK74? I only saw those very orange ones that didnt seem right to me.

3.)What is the right sling to buy for a model 74?

4.)Buying an AK74 (wood version), would you prefer CYMA or KALASH?

Thanks a lot guys.

Cool what brand is that AK? The Bolt shape looked really well

VFC

Nice work I see all over this thread. I got some questions for those AK experts:

1.)Why and how do you color the black plastic parts of the AKM74 to an dark aubergine ?

2.)What lowcaps are best and most realsteel to buy for an AK74? I only saw those very orange ones that didnt seem right to me.

Thanks a lot guys.

1. You mean plum? I'll see if i can find the dying guide on red alliance, other than that you can use sprays etc

2. MAG brand are pretty good and very cheap, G&P and VFC ones are also excellent

3. A real one :P There cheap as chips

4. I'd wait for the kalash wood version to come out, if you get a cyma you have to buy a wood kit separate. And there isnt any decent looking cheapsoft wood

See how much nicer we are in the AK picture thread, If you were in the armafail thread you'd be flamed by now :P

1.)Why and how do you color the black plastic parts of the AKS74 to an dark aubergine ?

I assume aubergine is a dark/deep purple? Early Russian polymer furniture was a purple-tinted black (like a plum), then it became solid black later in production runs.

MAG makes some good midcaps, otherwise the G&P midcaps will work just fine. G&P are easiest to put into real magazine shells.

A khaki sling, not the AKSU length but full size, with D-ring fastener at one end and a cloth loop at the other.

Thanks a lot guys.

KALASH by far.

A few questions for the AKnuts :)

The handle on my Unicorn AKSU broke off. JB Weld doesn't work, and I don't exactly have access to a welder. I'd rather just buy a new one anyway. Any recommendations?

I have an ICS AK74M. I want to make it more 'realistic'. Barring changing out the stock (modified to fit a HUGE battery), what can I do to make it look 'issued', for future Red Army kit building? I currently use a leather AK sling, I'm pretty sure it's original or whatever. Is it kosher? I can get one of those tan canvas slings as well (local Army surplus store has a ****load of those canvas and leather slings, have one of the canvas ones on my AKSU), if that would suit it better.

I appreciate the help!

AKSU Bolt:

Try and find the Guarder replacement - I think BoomArms still has some!

About the ICS AK74:

-Paint a small 'rack' number on the stock (34, for instance), you can personalize it obviously. Then paint the same number on all of your magazines, horizontally or vertically doesn't matter.

-Use the khaki sling, leather has been out for a long time. ;)

-Hit the AK with some '0000' grit steel wool, that'll bring out the wear. Wear the selector lever 'tab' (where your finger touches it), the magazine catch, the upper receiver cover around the bolt area, the bolt, the handguard removal lever, basically any place that would be worn down from firing or disassembly of the rifle.

-Abuse the gun - slam it into trees and such. It adds character. :)

Edited by PlasticMag

I love being able to do that, so far i've knocked down a rotten tree with it, tossed it up a hill and dropped it. No problems :) Steel FTW!

or maybe its just the satisfaction that i've seen M16/4s full to bits just from walking through the woods :D

AKSU Bolt:

Try and find the Guarder replacement - I think BoomArms still has some!

About the ICS AK74:

-Paint a small 'rack' number on the stock (34, for instance), you can personalize it obviously. Then paint the same number on all of your magazines, horizontally or vertically doesn't matter.

-Use the khaki sling, leather has been out for a long time. ;)

-Hit the AK with some '0000' grit steel wool, that'll bring out the wear. Wear the selector lever 'tab' (where your finger touches it), the magazine catch, the upper receiver cover around the bolt area, the bolt, the handguard removal lever, basically any place that would be worn down from firing or disassembly of the rifle.

Thanks!

About the last part, don't worry about it. It's over a year old, but looks ages older. Once I get a decent camera I'm going to post it in the battle-worn section. It doesn't look worn, it is worn! (fell on top of it when I slipped on a frozen creek, only the bolt handle bent :D )

Edited by Kraut

dunno about slamming it into trees, but recently i've been holding my AKSU in front of me to push undergrowth/bushes aside and occasionally using the stock as a rather blunt machette for clearing less dense but thicker undergrowth.

as far as wear goes, i havent tried it yet, but dont wear anything that wouldnt get worn from lots of natural use. personally i'd say just treat it rather roughly and dont sheild it from potential cosmetic harm while skirmishing. mine is now starting to show small scratches etc and the finish is wearing off/thin on parts like the corners on the stock, trigger, mag release, selector, reciever cover just above the selector and so on.

Thanks a lot guys.

Kyrlon Burgendy dye. Put in a pot big enough to completely cover all the parts you are trying to dye. Bring to the boil and once boiling turn to simmer then add the parts. Leave for a minimum of 20 minutes turning the bite on a regular basis. rinse off with cold water and voila! some nice plum ak furniture. (DO NOT TRY THIS WITH CYMA PISTOL GRIPS THEY WILL SHRINK!!!)

G&P are the best by far. Mag are pretty good. Real steel are the way forward if you can afford it.

Hmm slings...I pretty much use whatever I can find. Pretty much like the russians do. "comrade I just found a big box of leather slings. what should I do with them?" "give them to the lads!"

The Kalash is a great gun. However I would buy the black furniture version then buy some real steel wooden grips. Then you can swap between the 2.