New member with the same IP address?

I was wondering if I could sign up my brother as a member, but seeing as I still live with my family, we would have the same IP. I also know that it is against the rules to have a duplicate account, but would this technically be one? I also don't want to have it causing trouble for me or him in the future. So my question is; is it possible? If it is would it be worth it? He probably won't be doing an awful lot of posting. The reason I would want to get him to join is because he is starting to like airsoft, and after letting him look around the site he was interested in joining.

I was also wondering how people become moderators. There's just a need for them and some one willing is selected right? I'm not interested in becoming one as I don't have the time, but I was just wondering and it seemed a good time to ask.

As far as i know, moderators are suggested by the existing moderating team and then given the yes/no by Arnie. From what i've seen they're usually selected on what is needed time zone wise. For example, we went through a stage of spamming at silly times in the morning, which showed that we needed more American mods and so Arnie appointed a few more. It's also based on how well the individual follows the rules etc, rather than a stupidly big post count.

As for the IP address, could you post questions for him? Rather that than let him use your account as people have used that excuse in the past to go off the rails then blame their siblings. Either that, or let him loose on IRC to ask there, as a guest.

It doesn't really sound like it would be a dupe account. Hell if you wanted to make a dupe account to cause trouble you'd go ahead and do it, rather than ask.

Having a 'dupe' account is based on more than IP adress alone.

For exaple, myself and Hardcore_Mitsuko live together. We have the same IP, but it's blatently obvious we're not the same person.

Put it this way - if the second account is used for trolling, then we'll be having words. So long as your brother conducts himself with decorum and follows the rules, I can't see a problem.

what he means is that if your bro behaves himself and not cause poop on the forums... you're both fine... but if i remember correctly... if someone gets banned... that ip gets banned or maybe the actual 'username@domain' gets banned...

but either way if one of the 2 accounts got banned.... both would have trouble accessing the forums

Hmm. I'd have to think about it then. I'd rather not having him using my account, but if he were to be banned for some reason or other, I would rather it not affect me. But you say that if he doesn't do anything too awful bad there shouldn't be a problem?

I think what I'm going to do is make sure he's not going to be an *albatross*, let him join, and watch what he says for a while. That way if he looks like he is going to get himself [and me] into trouble, I'll stop him from using his account. The only reason I was going to let become a member because he wants to become an individual part of the group. But if it could potentially cause as many problems as if he were to just use my account, I'm not sure its worth it.

Another small question: Can Arnies Airsoft members be called "Arnenians"?

Probably not necessary and more of a nuisance than an update, but I've decided against it. I told him he could join another site, and if it goes well there I would let him join here. So far its not going as well as expected; he knows less than airsoft than I do about politics. I thought that my talking endlessly about airsoft would have helped, but no. He even stole my name! Its northinger! He doesn't even get it. Because my last name is derived from north in german (or at least that's what I'm told), hence the user name Chris-North-In-Ger. Still, thanks.

I have also had a problem with with opening up topics and having a bit of lag lately. Is this just normal? I figure there are just alot of users on at the same time.

Edited by ChrisNorthInGer
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if you have found a solution to this yet, but what about downloading internet explorer or firefox and letting him use that to create his own account? I don't think that would have the same IP, seeing as the mods on airsoft forum blocked my IP on MSN, yet I can still log in using internet explorer :huh:.

Not really aimed at Chris but, just for clarity...

There's nothing to stop 2 seperate people setting up 2 seperate accounts based on 2 seperate email addy's is there?

I mean, it's not like you'd get a "An account from this IP has already been created and you cannot create another." message popping up if you tried, right?

Person A has an email addy, signs up, types in their email addy, user name and password then person B does the same. Am I right?

On that note, a word of warning: If you ARE on a shared PC, don't forget to either manually log out every time you leave or tell the site NOT to remember you when you log in.

if your IP got blocked, you're not gonna be able to log in without hassle. there're ways around changing your ip or your user ID on the host, but it's not a common thing to do.

And if you're banned, as recent offenders have recently discovered, proxy services really won't conceal your identity. :)

On that note, a word of warning: If you ARE on a shared PC, don't forget to either manually log out every time you leave or tell the site NOT to remember you when you log in.

I agree, and whenever I use some one else's computer I log out. I have also changed my password too, because a certain "someone" had figured it out (universal password wasn't a good idea).

Another quick question since I haven't searched it: is there any chance that changing my account email will erase any profile information?

if your IP got blocked, you're not gonna be able to log in without hassle. there're ways around changing your ip or your user ID on the host, but it's not a common thing to do.

Who said I wanted to log in to that hellhole? :P Just something I discovered not long ago when I posted something on there concerning a certain scammer...

And if you're banned, as recent offenders have recently discovered, proxy services really won't conceal your identity.

Seems to me that some of them are just too stupid to conceal their true identity :P

Seems to me that some of them are just too stupid to conceal their true identity  :P

The oversized egoes of some folks can give it away sometimes, yes. I think you'll find it's because Arnie is very on the ball with checking up the details of suspect registrations though. Just because you register with a different IP doesn't mean that you won't be noticed. :)

We block by account first and foremost. As for dynamic IPs, suffice to say anyone with admin privileges can get the information.

As this appears to have gone into 'how can I get around being banned' territory, I think this is time to close it. Cheers. :)