King Arms fN FAL

Shark413

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing I noticed right away if you look at the picture of the receiver, you will notice that the rear sight is parallel to the receiver. On the real steel the sight is angled, so that moving the sight back/foreward changes the elevation. On the King Arms it does nothing since it is flat. What where they thinking? Still a very nice AEG that I always wanted.

Thanks for the scan, Shark! That connection point between receiver and stock is a little scary. How does it feel when shouldered? Is it solid?

I think King Arms definitely has plans for a folding stock. Looking at their website, you can see a FN FAL with a folding stock in the backgroud:

kaag02fi3.jpg

They're probably going to wait several months to a year before releasing one or a version with one so that sales of the initial release aren't affected.

Regarding the issue with the rear sight, is that due to the way the receiver is designed, or the sight? Curious, because if it's the site, it may be possible to buy a R/S sight. If it's the receiver, then we're kinda FUBAR-ed.

The handguards on the thing with the folding stock dont look like FAL ones though... Or is it just me? The cocking handle on it is FALy though

The handguards are based on real steel handguards. They're aftermarket parts that replace the standard handguards with RIS/RAS style handguards. King Arms actually already have these available:

FN FAL RAS HandGuards (long type).

Here's what it looks like mounted on the real steel:

dsa1jn1.jpg

This is basically a full length FN FAL except it has the folding stock, the RAS handguard, a different dust cover on the upper receiver (allows for the addition of optics), the carbine length & style flashhider, different rear sights and slightly different front sights.

The mounting bracket on a real FN FAL folding stock is actually part of the lower receiver like in this pic. However, there have been companies that sell aftermarket parts like Ace Ltd., which allows the user to remove the FN FAL's full stock and mount this new receiver block onto the back of the FAL's receiver, which then interfaces with their skeleton folding stock which is a pretty close match to the original stock. I've been wondering if this stock would be compatible with the King Arms FN FAL, but from the scans of the manual from Shark, it looks like it may not work.

If you're a FN FAL purist then it may not be your cup of tea, but I like it. ;)

Oh yeah, I emailed King Arms a while back when that pic of the FN FAL with the folding stock first appeared on their website inquiring as to when they'd have the folding stock available. They said that it wouldn't be for a long time, which further reinforced the mind set that they were going to wait a while before they released the folding stock version (or the folding stock itself) so as to not affect the sales of their current release of the FN FAL.

I have a feeling that the folding stock they'd release in the future would be a part of the lower receiver just as it is on the real steel. Which means that they'll probably release a FN FAL with folding stock, and also just a kit of the lower receiver with folding stock for those who already have a FN FAL with full stock.

It's possible that they'd sell the folding stock FN FAL also with RAS handguard, but unlikely as the RAS handguard currently costs US$170+ on it's own (it's all metal). If they released it that way, the RAS + folding stock FN FAL AEG could cost US$600+/-. That's a price I'd be willing to pay, but many consumers might not.

When I held one, I was surprised how dainty it was. The body/reciever is pretty small (smaller than an Armalite say), and the rest of the rifle is quite slimline too. Because it's such a lengthy rifle, I had images of it being a real oar, but it's not as weighty as you might think.

Light? I thought the real FAL was something like 9 pounds.

But the real FN FAL is made from steel. The airsoft on the other hand is made from cast aluminium. On RedWolf's site it's listed as 3,600 grams (about 8 pounds). Anyone know if that's accurate? I'm wondering if that's the weight including the box (for shipping purposes).

Having owned the real steel STG58, which this FAL seems to be modeled after, I can say that the balance of this gun is so good that it feels much lighter than it actually is. If the KA FAL is close dimensionaly and they thought about where they put aluminum and steel components, it should have the same handling qualities.

Guess I will find out next week when mine shows up :D

Can anybody who has one answer these questions:

What size battery can the stock hold?

Is the furniture of good qualit? It looks plasticky in the pics I've seen...

Accurracy? Range? Velocity?

Is the connection between the reciever and barrel secure? Any body flex at all?

How does the gearbox sound, smooth like a stock TM or 'screechy' like a CA?

(If you've tooken it apart) What sort of internals does it sport?

Thanks.

Archived