IDF (Israel Defense Forces) Kit

PILMAN

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love the gear, hate the NVG mount and safarilands :S too american :S

I should actually post my gear now i have it ><

Where do you see Safarilands? I'm the tall dude with the SERPA on my right leg shooting the rifle lefty. No Safarilands here... :huh:

(I'm also the guy buried in leaves, but that's a different story)

Oh hey guys...I watched a bit on the IDF Spec Ops on the Military Channel and the part about the '70s spec ops guys interested me. I'll take it with a pinch of salt, but it looks like they used AKs, OD uniforms and some type of webbing (unsure of type). Could anyone help me with this look? I am just looking for a fun look to run.

Love the gear, hate the NVG mount and safarilands :S too american :S

I should actually post my gear now i have it ><

Well, we are American. There's no crime in that.

I do get out and play as often as possible, so in many cases my gear is balanced between looks and usability. I don't just stand around and take pictures of my self to throw out on the internet like some other people I've seen on this forum. I want my kit to work, which can be difficult at times with IDF gear so I substitute some stuff here and there.

Come on Pozzie I want to see this IDF look. I recall when you described it to me the words "sprayed on" were used to describe the trouser fit.

leghumpers.jpg

:rolleyes:

to me, the 90s look i prefer is either the separate armour and infantry lbe with an ar15 without bolted on stuff, possibly a falcon sight, fairly low tac useable, and comfy.

more modern, possibly integrated armour and lbe, which is something im having a friend workon atm whos a gearsmith...

The nvg mounts simply suprised me, most images i have of IDF forces dont show nvg mounts, so i guess im wrong!

i guess i prefer, like with all things, a more simplistic gritty version of a loadout, over the polished new look with anything...

hence why my us, idf, and russian kit arnt modern.

I mean, since that would be sufficient to buy a SiG Sauer, an EoTech, a Safariland holster, a couple spare magazines, and a magazine pouch.... Or most of an FS2000. Or three Springfield XD handguns. Or two SiG Sauer handguns, if I'm feeling greedy.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Sig_Sau...9mm_Pistol.html

Correction, enough to buy most of 6 Sig Sauer pistols (that each come with 2 mags and holster).

My suggestion to you both, Pozzie and Merchant, is that if you're seriousabout building yourself an IDF kit, get an account on http://www.isayeret.com . The site is a veritable treasure trove of information, pictures, and descriptions of anything and everything related to the IDF. Find yourself pictures of the kit you like, and then make your kit match them as close as you can.

Keep in mind however that no two IDF kits are alike. In fact, like Red_Dog said, you'll find from the pictures that the majority of the kits are IDF soldiers making do with what they have and arranging items based on how well they work, hence why so many of the guns carried by IDF soldiers are custom Israeli chop-jobs.

Best of luck to you!

I've traveled around Israel both with Taglit-Birthright and on my own, and I traveled with several soldiers and spent lots of time with soldiers on leave and recently left the service. Slic3 got it pretty right in that they make their custom gear. Marom-Daulphin and Hagor are the two defense suppliers that supply wearable gear (with Israeli Military Industries, or IMI) providing lots of the weapons and other domestically produced related items). However, most of the time, the IDF soldiers will undo alot of pouches on their gear and resew them on themselves in a configuration that works for them.

The Alef and Bet uniforms are their dress and utility uniforms, respectively. While on active duty, the soliders are granted leave, but their wear their Alef uniform off base and carry their M4 with them, will one magazine on them. The other time the Alef uniform is worn is for ceremonies (promotions, dinners, etc.) or if your specialty is a Public Relations and you deal with the public and media alot. The Army, Air Force and Navy all have different Alif uniforms, however they all use the same Bet uniform. The Bet uniform is worn while on base as it is a general utility uniform as well as combat fatigue.

All soldiers on active duty are issued black boots that are worn with both the Alef and Bet uniforms. If a soldier has competed the IDF Paratrooper school, they are issued red boots. This is a "badge of honor". Even if a soldier leaves the "Tzanhanim" (Paratroopers in Hebrew), they continue to wear their red boots as sign of their status. Reservists are a different matter. Many reservist wear their own boots, such as timberlands, merrells, indiginous brands etc. as well as their issued boots. Blousing of the pants is a requirement, but is rarely enforced and as a result many many many do not (unless in a prestigous unit, Tzanhanim, Shayatet 13, Sayeret Matkal... where they strictly enforce dress codes as a thing of honor).

The deal with holsters, nvgs and the like...Just about all helmets have an NVG mount. Many soldiers cover it up with their helmet covers, helmet elastic, and their Mitznefet. Other soldiers dont keep it attached all the time since it can get caught up in their helmet "accessories". Holsters, many individuals carry their sidearm in one of the pouches for ammo, or stitch their own holsters in their gear. Others wear a regular holster, such as Fobus (which is Israeli) on their waist, since the recon vests ride about 3 inches up off the waist. Military and National Police and units that do lots of MOUT and CQC wear drop legs at their own preference, and with this, its everything from Serpa to Safariland to Eagle Industries to whom ever. There is really no standard.

As far as 1990's compared to present day, there is not a whole lot of difference in the gear. The fatigues, the recon vests, helmets, boots, rifles, pretty much remaind the same. The most change you see in from mid-late '80s to present day. The only main difference would be different NVGs, weapon sights and the like would be different. You can have an IDF kit and if you have a CAR-15, helmet, recon vest, Bet uniform and boots, and no high speed or advanced optics and you could pass for the time frame from the first Lebannon War to current day.

Now I know I'm no expert on this, seeing as I havn't served, but given my first hand experience interacting with active duty soldiers, I'm confident in saying that I am very close to correct on most issues. Hope this helps out. Lets see some pictures from everybodies kits, and remember, its better to offer constructive critisim rather that blasting at someone for "missing" things or not fitting "your look". The IDF look is a very individually detailed and custom look. Best of luck.

L'hitraot (see you later)

Heeb

Thanks for the advice boys, im fairly set on my kit though and ive done my research for my paticular impression, run of the mill conscript infantry to relate to a character in a novel im writing. (like most of my loadouts, it helps me get into thier mind) soon as i have the finishing bits, ill get some photos up,

as for fobus: they win ^_^

kol Tuv!

What sort of kit was worn between '67 and '77 ? Also, does anyone know if any units were issued Colt model 653's during this time period? Is it possible to get kit from this era, or kit close enough to pass?

My father was in the IDF between '67 to I believe around '69 then back again in '73 to '77, I have the WGC custom 653 already.

What sort of kit was worn between '67 and '77 ? Also, does anyone know if any units were issued Colt model 653's during this time period? Is it possible to get kit from this era, or kit close enough to pass?

My father was in the IDF between '67 to I believe around '69 then back again in '73 to '77, I have the WGC custom 653 already.

The had older model fatigues, and older web gear. I believe that they also used old british web gear. They used H-style suspenders. The gear was similar to the U.S. woodland, only it had larger mag pouches because they were using Galils, which has an AK style mag.

I am not sure about the Colt 653, but I'm fairly sure you could get away with it. Congrats to your father for serving. I wont ask if he served in the Six Days War or Yom Kippur War, either way, kudos to him for his service. I would double check with your father about the weapons as he would definatly know more about that than any of us.

EDIT FOR MY PREVIOUS POST:

As far as the discussion for era-gear, the mitznefet was the most notable edition to the combat loadout for era of the mid/late 1980's to current. The mitznefet is the large camoflauged clown hat that you see them wearing now-a-days. Mitznefet is actually hebrew for "clown hat." Those appeared around 1995 I believe. Hope I helped at all.

• 2 weeks later...
The had older model fatigues, and older web gear. I believe that they also used old british web gear. They used H-style suspenders. The gear was similar to the U.S. woodland, only it had larger mag pouches because they were using Galils, which has an AK style mag.

I am not sure about the Colt 653, but I'm fairly sure you could get away with it. Congrats to your father for serving. I wont ask if he served in the Six Days War or Yom Kippur War, either way, kudos to him for his service. I would double check with your father about the weapons as he would definatly know more about that than any of us.

EDIT FOR MY PREVIOUS POST:

As far as the discussion for era-gear, the mitznefet was the most notable edition to the combat loadout for era of the mid/late 1980's to current. The mitznefet is the large camoflauged clown hat that you see them wearing now-a-days. Mitznefet is actually hebrew for "clown hat." Those appeared around 1995 I believe. Hope I helped at all.

Galils weren't used in 67 and 73 it was in a very very limited role, the FN FAL was still being issued at that point. The Galil didn't really see action until the lebanon war in the 80's. EPHOD (which is what I have) holds Galil mags, they are slightly different than AK mags.

Archived