The Complete VSR Thread

TheBauer

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TM don't make their own Harris style bipod ?

If you mean a Harris bipod, yes you can without any problems.

If you mean a Versapod, TM's would be an easier bet as it will be sure to fit. Real steel Versapod's need a little bit of fiddling to fit nicely.

Pretty much all the same.

Inner barrel:

Gspec: 303mm slightly tighter than ps or rs

PS / RS: 430mm

Hop:

Same

Realshock has some lead weights on the piston to create a shock kind of effect, but these can be removed.

other than that its external differences.

Is it just me, or do other people get annoyed with *beep*-footing around the subject of springs?

seems to me like the 1j rule (which FYI has no basis in law, it's actually 1.35j before it becomes a section 5) really shouldn't apply to single action rifles, seeing as they can legally produce muzzle energy up to 12ft lb (roughly 16j) before they need a certificate. obviously it's illegal to fire a weapon of muzzle energy greater than 1.35j AT someone (even though we do it anyway), but as long as merely upgrading was discussed then the conversation would be well within the law.

this isn't a rant so much as a request to some of the more reputable guys here (forum leaders) to see if you can't get an exception for the sniper forums, as it is in no way, shape, or form, illegal to upgrade a single action air weapon to produce a muzzle energy of over 1j.

cheers

SS

Ay, at the end of the day, its Arnies choice, hes following the instructions iirc from the ASRUABBASDDGSR or what ever they are called, with the guide line of the 1j rule for airsoft sites,

Now not all airsoft sites go by this guide line, as like you said its actualy 1.35j but to be safe they asked to go for 1j.

if you want to openly discuss higher than 1j you just go to ASCUK or ASR.

unfortuantly thats the way it is, and i presume until it gets clarified and put in stone, its going to stay that way.

I guess you just have to look at this forum as somewhere to discuss other aspects of the VSR other than high fps and springs. We will be sticking to Arnies guidelines, as he is the very fair and responsible owner of the site.

Lower powered guns are safer and Arnies doesn't need to be seen, behind the knowledge on how to make a legal gun, less safe. I presume you read the information on what "upgraded" digicons have done in the past in Japan :( . What a sorry day for Airsoft. :mellow:

Users of this forum must accept that these guns tread a grey area at times. To avoid any confusion or worry of injury we stay well within the UK law. Responsible users will accept that and respect that rule of the forums. Some UK Airsoft gaming sites also tread the grey area and leave themselves open to problems if there is an incident on their premises.

My own G-SPEC is completely stock, despite the pin being drilled out by the previous owner. I depowered my old APS2 to sub 1 joule limit btw. The site I used to game at allowed guns way higher than 1 joule but i liked the APS running at around 315fps as I had no minimum engagment distance (MED) and i only lost a small amount of range over much higher output spring fitted. I used no sidearm with my Sporter and did shoot up close sometimes. I took a full 7 man team out over 5 minutes from within their perimeter (they were defending). All shots were within 10m range.

Low powered VSR rifles still do the job, you just have to get closer to get the shots. OK low powered VSR don't shoot as far as some rifle setups I understand that. Yet sometimes you get sloppy with high end rifles and shoot from too far away or too early and rely on your hardware or spring rather than fieldcraft to get the hit. Ok, I understand that sometimes there is not enough cover to get close enough with sub 1 joule VSR rifles.

My latest film doesn't back me up to be honest, as I missed some really easy shots and use a fair bit of ammo to little effect. However my opponents, also using stock VSR G-SPEC do far better. Guess I was just having an off day :huh: amazing how many shots that missed went completely unheard despite no background noise. That is another advantage of the low powered rifle. The sub 1 joule rifle is also safer to use in lower light conditions when your aim point is not certain. Thinking about it, a high end rifle would be ungamable at night in woodland areas as most shots would be within MED.

rant over, no offence SS. ;)

I can understand the advantages of playing with a low powered sniper rifle (very low sound signature, no MED, less maintenance, no pricey upgrades), but I wouldn't trade that for the extended range, shorter BB flight time, 20m MED, etc... With an 1J rifle people calling themselves out is a problem at longer ranges since they won't feel or hear the hit with all that gear on, especially in the middle of a firefight... On the positive side, only the hardcore guys will go sniper in the UK - no power hungry kids running around with upgraded rifles. :)

We've 20m MED rule over 1.5J (max 3.3J) plus a mandatory sidearm. Most snipers use 450-580fps rifles and they have a great (perhaps overexaggerated) psychological effect on the enemy, since they can engage targets up to 80-85 meters. Shots within the MED and injuries are extremely rare.

my local site has a MED of 30metres and i sometimes worry if i shoot people around 30metres and hit them in the goggles, i worry if the goggles might break/crack

going back on topic. the lower powered vsrs tend to be so stealthy you could hardly hear anything... i remember the vsr PS/RS can shoot at 340ish fps without people knowing you got that close. yet at 340fps you hardly need any upgrades (maybe a tightbore for more accuracy) but 1Jish is sooooo stealthy on the vsr it's unreal

Trasher : You are right that low powered rifles can have problems registering a hit on another hunter, with heavy local cam. I have gamed with other players who used 500fps rifles years ago but proved more successful with my low powered setup when it came to how many we bagged.

The Stock G-SPEC is inaudible even on a calm day with no background noise around 30m away. Urban ninja is right, you may not hiot things as much, but you often get more chances than a higher end rifle before you are noticed. The coming film certainly proves that ...

The best power of your rifle, depends on the site and the season. In denser summer thickets the low powered rifle is more useful. In the sparse winter higher end rifles are more the order fo the day. If you have a lower powered rifle expect to have to stalk close enough for a shot. While with higher velocity rifles you will get more oppertunities to fire at longer distances (over 50m).

I understand what you are saying; that the shorter flight time makes it easier. Wind has less chance to push the pellet of course and the pellets are heavier too.

You are also right that the cash outlay, is pretty high to "top end" a rifle (other than Tanakas). The events I play require more field kit than skirmish does. Much of my sporting budget goes on survival equipment instead (I still need a newer water purifier and smaller down sleeping bag. Also we like a level playing field here, so stock rifles are good for now. Maybe years down the line we might lightly upgrade, but only if we all do together. It is not important.

To achieve more range we now all own a M700 of 1 type or another. But still early days and all running them into a 1000 pellet mark still.

Good Hunting

I agree completely Bushman... We had a winter woodland scenario today with 100+ players where the typical engagement distance was 40-50 meters (bare trees, minimal undergrowth, persistent winds) and the 3J+ VSR was very useful. I got at least 3 nice kills up to 60 meters (one was a resounding helmet shot at 35-40m), pinned the enemy while my team rushed their lines and I was only taken out once when the rifle was hit. Despite the 588fps, I must aim for the head or thigh/*albatross* area when people wearing flak vests, heavy plate carriers and large backpacks. Otherwise they won't hear the hit unless everything is silent.

I can see that a lonely sniper (or a two man team) would be much more effective with a silent, less powerful rifle in the summer. We had a tree climber guy who took out whole squads with his stock G-spec and no one noticed him.... I think the solution is simple for high end VSR owners - a lower spring, stock piston, and a silent damper perhaps?

BTW how effective is the suppressor on the stock G-spec? Anyone tried suppressing high performance rifles?

it changes the noise of the rifle, from a clack to a pop. it does a good job at muffeling the sound more than anything.

and UN dont worry bout shooting goggles within 30m they wont break or shatter, all our stuff is tested at point blank, with 500fps rifle.

Ok, i can see the reasoning there, i guess it's just one of those things that everyone does but no one can admit to. i particularly take the point about effectively instructing people on how to turn their nice safe stock guns into something that'll have people digging bbs out of their faces. i guess social responsibility has to come first, especially with the current political climate.

SS

Ok, i can see the reasoning there, i guess it's just one of those things that everyone does but no one can admit to. i particularly take the point about effectively instructing people on how to turn their nice safe stock guns into something that'll have people digging bbs out of their faces. i guess social responsibility has to come first, especially with the current political climate.

SS

Exactly,

but as long as we stick to our engagment distances the later wont happen :)

ok, so i just got some matrix .30g bb's and tried them in my g-spec, they curved right. so i made sure my scope was adjusted, and tried again, same thing. i tried using some phx .28's which i had been using up till now, and had worked fine considering their weight. they curved also, but not as much.

so, i took apart my g-spec, and thoroughly cleaned it, made sure the barrel was clear, hopup was level, all that... and it still curves to the right!

i figured that maybe my scope was off, so i adjusted that to aim where the bb's were landing, but as soon as i changed to a further range they were landing to the rite, so the scope can't be the problem. i tried firing with and without the silencer, same results both ways. it was not the wind, since i fired it only when the wind had stopped.

what could be causing it to do this?

how can i fix it?

it was working fine last time i shot it, and i don't think much has changed since then... i installed an aluminum piston... could that be it?

Archived