ForSale guidelines updated

The ForSale guidelines have been updated with some important advice and rules to be observed when entering into trades online:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...p?showtopic=387

It is a requirement that anyone wishing to sell or trade on the boards exchanges his or her details with the other agreed party BEFORE goods or money changes hands. Anyone not wishing to exchange their details with another person for the purposes of making a sale is asked not to post in the Sales sections.

Couple of questions:

How do you verify your home address, as per the rules? ("Full home address (verified))

I understand the 'not a free account if possible' caveat, but just wondering how practical that is, especially now a lot of people use GMail/Hotmail etc, since the '1GB promotions' appeared? :)

Edited by doc_newstead

Have updated the main For Sale Forum Rules announcement to match...

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...t=announce&id=3

EDIT: I have also rationalised the For Sale Guidelines, as there were two different sets of rules. Everything should point to the right place now ;)

You can verify people's home addresses by getting them to send you a photo of a recent utility bill (date showing), on top of a newspaper / magazine published within the last 2 weeks. You can also ask for "on-the-fly" additions to the photos (i.e. you ask the trader to make a sign with his hand in the photo, or put a certain object like a green pencil next to the bill). Use your imagination, but be fair. ;)

The "not a free account if possible" might better be explained by saying "an ISP based e-mail account" (e.g. someone@btconnect.co.uk). That way, you have another means of tracing them if they try to pull a 'Houdini'.

99% of people accessing the net have an email address from their ISP, or their office, or their college/uni.

As for a verifiable home address, phone numbers and addresses can easily be checked against 192.com or the BT Phonebook or the Electoral Role (several free online sites allow you to do checks). It's up to you what you do to check.. but if you're posting to that address chances are it's a real domicile. If they give you a home telephone number that is in Birmingham, but ask you to post to an address in Manchester, well you get the idea.

The details listed are what I/we recommend you obtain, as there have been instances of people sending out cash to people with no ability to contact them.

Either way I highly recommend that anyone entering into a sale gets some concrete contact details that will allow them to trace the person they are sending cash/gear to. Please don't solely rely on the PM system here or email.

Initially seems bloody harsh, but it's a good idea.

To be honest, I never use another email account apart from my Gmail account (free, of course), although I do have a school I can get to if need be...

The 'name, address, phone number' bit seems good though - should help to cut down on bad traders (not that there are a great number, mind you).

I see it more of a recommendation to others and a request from us, the owners/admins/mods here to help keep sales on an even keel.

Lets face it.. if you're sending gear or cash to someone that you don't know the least you should know about them is who they are, how to contact them, and where they live. It seems like common sense to me. :)

A few people have been lasy of late and got caught out as most users (even me sometimes) assume the best of people. With the large users base here it's a good idea to cover yourself just in case.

Just to check...

In the new guidelines, where it states something along the lines of "If you don't provide Name-Address-ISP Email-Phone Number, you'll be banned", does that mean that if, say, I were to provide my name, address, and a free Gmail email, I'd be considered an untrustworthy trader?

Not necessarily. The 'Banning' option is more likely reserved for those who repeatedly refuse to supply any real info, but keep posting trade threads, or those who supply wrong information in an attempt to pull off a con.

My advice is, if someone you are trading with isn't happy with the G-Mail address, give them your School email address. If you can't give them this address for any reason, explain this to them, and as long as you have played fair you're not going to get banned. At the end of the day, if someone isn't happy with a G-Mail address, they can always refuse to trade with you. I would ;)

It's for the buyer/seller to verify the information that they are given is correct. The information isnt for us - it's for the buyer/seller to exchange between themselves. ;)

Basically if you're buying/selling you should exchange your full name, phone number, address and contact email address with the other party.

We recommend that "sticky" details are exchanged, ie. ones that can't be shed easily should an individual decide they want to do a runner.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.