CYMA .031 AK-SLR review

Finally after a few months of waiting and thinking. I Got My CYMA SLR (thanks FAFA LARRY).

The last quarter of the year is very good for airsofters in the Philippines, we have lots of models that came out. Out of the so many ACM guns that came out, I trimmed my decision to 3. They are, in no particular order:

1. Warrior L96 (WOW Out of the box decent sniper rifle)

2. CYMA .031 (AK SLR) – Modern AK

3. KART M14 (who doesn’t want one)

Why did I choose the Cyma .031?

1. Playing Style – though its fun to be a sniper, I play as a heavy gunner and assault.

2. Handling – the M14, though it’s a very handsome gun I have 2 M4s it seems its double the length of my current guns

3. AK fever – I’ve always wanted an AK

On to the review:

CYMA – Airsoft serious

It seems that CYMA is taking their airsoft business seriously, compared to other acms which package their guns in non-attractive boxes. Cyma made sure that their AEGs would be noticed first when you walk in a store.

And when you see how they designed the box, you'll be sure that what's inside is serious business.

package.jpg

Out of the box you get:

1. GUN

2. battery 8.4v 1200mAh Ni-Mh

3. Charger

4. barrel cleaner

5. bag of .20 bbs (est 100-200pcs)

6. front-sight adjuster

7. cheapo sling

HOLD Me!!!!

The First time I held the gun, I said WOW. This is one heavy gun, no mag nor battery. There is absolutely no wobble or creaks, Its one SOLID gun.

As mentioned in the other forums here, the metal parts are as follows:

• Flash hider (removable)

• Outer barrel

• Front and rear sight

• Upper receiver

• Rear sling attachment

• Trigger guard

flashhider.jpg

rearsight.jpg

Did I forget anything? Just tell me :wink:

The rest is made up of hi-quality ABS. the fininsh of the plastic parts is NOT shiny.

recieverR.jpg

Externally it’s an exact copy of the CA SLR except for the receiver, which is plastic on the cyma and metal on the Classic army version.

receiverL.jpg

no markings.

hicap.jpg

The magazine has an estimated capacity of 500 rounds and is made up of hi-quality ABS plastic.

bag.jpg

Even the free pack of bb's is pacakged nicely.

FIRING:

I charged the stock battery for 8 hours and loaded the bb’s on the mag fired a couple on single fire…. Hmm no misfeeds….AUTO wow the gun is very well made. It’s sounds like a stock marui AK. No wheeze, no whirr no strange noises…. I haven’t encountered any misfeeds (yet).

You can hit a TRUCK sized target in 100ft. Yes your read it right, truck sized, though it has a long barrel, longer than my R6, its still in stock form (r6 setup: used pdi spring, everything stock), I might get a 6.04 tight barrel and probable replace the hop mechanism too. The grouping is really bad considering that they changed the internal barrel form aluminum (in the .028) to brass (.031).

VERDICT:

The only sad thing about this gun is its bad groupings and power in stock form, but with its overall looks and solid feel, at P3,xxx its worth every centavo.

withR6.jpg

how long is long? the cyma slr with my r6 shorty

I’ll be upgrading this baby over the weekend.

UPDATE NOV 19,2006

Dissassembly is a breeze. If you have an AK dissasembly manual (I got mine from www.airsoftplayers.com) , you can be at the bare gearbox inless than 10 mins. Just make sure you remember what screw goes where. Smile

The Gun is divided in 3 sections: the stock (or butt), the receiver, and the barrel assembly.

The stock butt has enough room for a 8.4v sub c 2400mAh nicd battery

(a 9.6v 2400mAh ni-cd in 2x4 configuration will NOT fit inside the butt), I will have to do some DIYs for my battery problem.

The receiver as mentioned before, is made up of hi-quality ABS, contrary to popular belief, you won’t be needing a metal one for this part.

The barrel assembly is where most of the metal parts are, making this a little front heavy, I noted that cyma has inserted some metal weights in the gas tubes. Either you remove the weights in front of have a bigger battery in the butt installed (sub c 9.6v 2400mAh) for a well balanced gun.

Gearbox Upgrade:

Upon opening the gearbox, I was impressed on how they assembled it, in contrast with the well AEGs it seems that they don’t use petroleum grease as lubricant, they probably used lithium grease. The gearbox is clean, no excess grease, so its easy to remove and clean the parts prior to upgrades.

Some parts are made up of CLEAR Plastic (I don’t know its composition)

• Nozzle

• Spring guide

• Tappet plate

The parts that I’m going to replace:

• Spring – systema M130

• Gears – CA STU helicals

• Piston – Deepfire polycarbonate

• Piston head – Stock CA with bearing

• Shims and metal oilless bushings

Cons

• There are some bushing slots that are a little loose, i had to put on some "glue" to fix the problem

• If you are going to do the upgrades yourself and not letting a gunsmith do the work for you, I suggest you replace all the gearbox springs, the trigger spring and the anti-reversal latch spring are a b1+ch to install

Pros

• The Stock Gears have C.A. markings It can pull a pdi190% spring.

• Compression is good, better than that of WELL AEGs, but not as good as the high end AEGs

Hop and barrel: I also didn't bother tinkering with the hop-assembly and the internal barrel, wanted to see why cyma didn't copy CA's hop and barrel design and made their own. I'm hoping that they intentionally made it that way as an improvement over the existing AK AEG designs.

Testing: Firing in single mode i felt that i had to tighten the motor adjustment screw further in. After a few turns the whirring noise was gone. In full auto I felt a loss of ROF because of the STU I installed.

Poor Man’s Chrono: I tested a SanMig Lite Beer Can, Using a .20 bb load, it went through both sides, I tried the bottom central of the can, No problems. The Bottom side a major dent. Estimated a 430-450 FPS.

Will update you on its performance on the field…

you know, that FPs reading on the "Poor man's chrono" is WAY off. first, you have to use a coke coke, or at least a soda can with Coke as its mother company. beer cans can vary so much from a simple pop can.

also it is a copy of an AK-105 hence SLR 105 CA's AK105 copy to be exact, like it says in the review. and CA only named it the "SLR" because they don't have trade rights. c'mon now.

Edited by born2rocknblaze
you know, that FPs reading on the "Poor man's chrono" is WAY off. first, you have to use a coke coke, or at least a soda can with Coke as its mother company. beer cans can vary so much from a simple pop can.

also it is a copy of an AK-105 hence SLR 105 CA's AK105 copy to be exact, like it says in the review. and CA only named it the "SLR" because they don't have trade rights. c'mon now.

Considering how it is a Systema M130 440 FPS probally isn't to far off.

CA has Arsenal Arms trademark rights, which makes (or used to make) a SLR105.

Err, no, and no.

Big corrections to make here:

1. This is not an AK105, which is a Russian carbine version of the AK74M. Sort of like M4A1 is to M16A2. This is a full size rifle.

2. CA's SLR is trademarked by Arsenal USA, a real company. The non-USA Arsenal is Bulgarian, FYI. The name is correct, just as the M15 name is correct to their Armalite models with Armalite trades.

3. This isn't an SLR; look at the stock. ICS AK-74M copy.

4. There are no true AK74Ms in airsoft as the real ones use a polymer, non-skeletal sidefolding stock that does not exist in airsoft even as an aftermarket part.

5. That is one ugly rear sight. :mellow:

6. AK-74s do not have flash hiders, they have muzzle brakes which actually increase flash, but decrease felt recoil. Just as you wouldn't call a compensator on an SVI or STI pistol a flash hider.

I'd suggest painting the bolt carrier black on this gun, by the way.

Edited by RSP1
3. This isn't an SLR; look at the stock. ICS AK-74M copy.

4. There are no true AK74Ms in airsoft as the real ones use a polymer, non-skeletal sidefolding stock that does not exist in airsoft even as an aftermarket part.

3. It is a CA SLR clone.. not ICS.. It has the TM style buildup the CA has so it also has the milled style slanted rear of the receiver, unlike the ICS which has the straight stamped style receiver end

4. Guarder Ak-103 kit with a 5.45mm style mag is an Ak-74M... ;)

Thanks for the corrections.

On looking at this kit:

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...it%20for%20AEGs

I realise you're right.

I'd previously only seen this one:

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...it%20for%20AEGs

Sorry if I sound like I just don't know what I'm talking about. Seeing born's post made me want to correct the "AK-105" bit, and I got a bit carried away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...