The Complete APS 2/96 Thread

The Chef

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

never try an element hop rubber in on of these.

i did, and it was poor moulding even before i put it in...

it was also chewed to bits inside 300 rounds...

as said, guarder are ok, i use one now. firefly hard are sold out everywhere, except america. and with shipping to UK, these come in at well over $60...

saying that, if any of our american friends want to send me a couple, i would be very happy! i will pay first, cash via paypal...

please?

Woo, more SW M99 problems! Here's our list so far.

-Trigger: The gun likes to not fire, as in the trigger is impossible to pull. I pull my bolt back, bring it forward, and when I try to pull the trigger, it's impossible to do so. Recocking the rifle always fixes this problem.

-Bolt: Sometimes the bolt is incredibly hard to bring up, and incredibly hard to pull back as well, as if something won't let it come back. With enough force (see: A LOT), the bolt will come back and then go forward again.

-Hopup: The hopup likes to undo itself and return back to the zero-hop position.

<_<

For now, it's just a really cool rifle sitting on my floor; until I can find out what's wrong with it. If anyone's got any info on what's causing these problems, and what'll fix them; I'd appreciate your input.

Hm that is interesting. I had the very same problem with the imossible trigger pull. I removed all safety features from the trigger house to fix the problem.

The hop zeroing itself, I replaced the pin with a very tiny screw (M2 IIRC) and added a nut to the other side. Similar to the AK hopup unit. The nut pulls the slide to the hopup unit and it is now pretty hard to move the lever at all. It will not doesn't zero itself any more.

I've had this "cylinder locking back" once. I was unable to push it back and I didn't want to force, so I removed the trigger house. I had no idea about the cause.

I have a massive problem, which kinda drives me crazy. It seems I can't pull the cylinder enough and the piston doesn't to lock in. I shortened the spring a little and it helped to an extent. Now I can cock it successfully 1 out of 2 tries, however the force required is similar to a starting a lawnmover motor or something. I could cock that spring easily while prone earlier. WTF???

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the gun running at 495fps and since decided i'm no sniper. Much prefer being closer to my opponents and not worrying about an MED. I bought a 110% which was advertised as 350-360, but I can trim or shim depending on what results I get.

My APS2 is more of a battle-rifle than a sniper anyway, so 350 will be enough;

DSCF1665.jpg

Just a quick question, I've upgraded my trigger, piston, piston head, and spring. My hop up seems to not be working and when I shoot out my bb's they don't go anywhere close to where I am aiming. Is that because it's stock and too soft for the power I'm putting thru it? I have the aero chamber but no barrel yet so that is in the future.

Quick question....

Anybody seen a suitable spring to bung in my Type 96 to give me around 330-350fps c/w 0.2g BBs?

I see that most T96 springs are out of stock these days.

Are APS2 springs the same length etc?

I saw the similar question on the previous page but I'm asking if anybody's actually SEEN a suitable spring for sale anywhere.

Most of the ones I've seen seem to be 170% etc.

Ok just took apart my stock barrel and to see if my hop up was working and it is. The only down side is my bb's always fall short of the target, about 20 feet way, and they fall hard. I have my aero chamber hop up sitting waiting for my edgi barrel to show up. If I change out the nub in the stock hop up will it help out the problem? Just wondering if I should try to fix it at all.

I fired my newly purchased used TM VSR and that gun is stupid quiet compared to the UTG. What's a good mod to bring down the sound of the gun?

Quick question....

Anybody seen a suitable spring to bung in my Type 96 to give me around 330-350fps c/w 0.2g BBs?

I see that most T96 springs are out of stock these days.

Are APS2 springs the same length etc?

I saw the similar question on the previous page but I'm asking if anybody's actually SEEN a suitable spring for sale anywhere.

Most of the ones I've seen seem to be 170% etc.

I have an APS2 spring that should give around 350, I can give it a quick measure/photograph it witht he parts if you want so you know if they fit? Sadly however I need to keep it.

Ok just took apart my stock barrel and to see if my hop up was working and it is. The only down side is my bb's always fall short of the target, about 20 feet way, and they fall hard. I have my aero chamber hop up sitting waiting for my edgi barrel to show up. If I change out the nub in the stock hop up will it help out the problem? Just wondering if I should try to fix it at all.

I fired my newly purchased used TM VSR and that gun is stupid quiet compared to the UTG. What's a good mod to bring down the sound of the gun?

filling the stock with foam will help (there are guides somewhere) because the L96 stock acts as an acoustic chamber.

i bet if you take off your stock and then manually feed in a round to the hop unit and then fire it off in a safe direction it will sound quieter.

I have an APS2 spring that should give around 350, I can give it a quick measure/photograph it witht he parts if you want so you know if they fit? Sadly however I need to keep it.

That'd be great. :)

Let me know the length, outer diameter and inner diameter.

I'm wondering about the ID, particularly, cos the L96 has some funky loaded indicator (which I can't remember anything about cos it's been that long since I've had mine in bits) built into the spring guide.

Cos of that I really don't want to have to mess with the spring guide.

filling the stock with foam will help (there are guides somewhere) because the L96 stock acts as an acoustic chamber.

i bet if you take off your stock and then manually feed in a round to the hop unit and then fire it off in a safe direction it will sound quieter.

Hmm I'll give this a try since it's only 2 bolts. Sounds kind of fun hehe. brb i'll test it out.

After testing it out like that it does sound just a little bit quieter. I think I'm shooting at such a high FPS is makes it loud. Time for a air brake, hope I don't screw up my piston head.

Hmm I'll give this a try since it's only 2 bolts. Sounds kind of fun hehe. brb i'll test it out.

After testing it out like that it does sound just a little bit quieter. I think I'm shooting at such a high FPS is makes it loud. Time for a air brake, hope I don't screw up my piston head.

Okay well i made mine alot quieter by doing the following.

1. Filled stock with foam.

2. covered barrel in thin packing foam,

3. taped all over the rifle in snipers tape (mainly to hold the foam in place and also cover the holes i drilled for the foam)

4. Installed stubby silencer

5. made a custom piston damper out of foam (this has since been removed as it dropped the FPS too much for my liking)

Thats about as much you can do to make it quieter. Now its just a small thud for a shot rather than a loudish thud pop.

That'd be great. :)

Let me know the length, outer diameter and inner diameter.

I'm wondering about the ID, particularly, cos the L96 has some funky loaded indicator (which I can't remember anything about cos it's been that long since I've had mine in bits) built into the spring guide.

Cos of that I really don't want to have to mess with the spring guide.

Obviously, a lot will depend on what other parts you're using.

I have a PSS2 110 spring here which I have written "about 360" on. This is with "The Works" internally, stock parts/barrel may well have this at 350 - or clip a coil. The packaging does also have "Type 96" on it as well as APS2 markings, so not sure if that's a requirement or not.

If memory serves, there are 2 different types of spring guide/thickness. The lower powered springs are "thin type" and the higher powered "thick type". I believe the thin type use the standard plastic spring guide that comes in the rifle, and if you're looking to upgrade you need the thick type spring guide to match the thick springs. there's nothing complex about replacing it, it's a straight swap out.

Also have a PSS2 120 spring with "about 390" on it, for reference.

That's good info too, thanks.

FWIW, I have 2 bolts for the gun. One bolt (the 550fps one) has a bunch of spendy bits in it which stop the loaded indicator working.

The other one has a 1J spring in it and that's bone stock so the indicator still works and I'd like to keep it that way when I fit the new spring.

Hmm I just had a thought, anyone else smell the smoke?, anyways I have an entire roll of sound deadening material for your car so it vibrates less. Think it would work to line the stock of my gun with this instead of foam? I really wish I had a db meter so I could test it out but who really cares about sound besides someone trying to quiet down their gun?

I think I'll do this today and take pics. Wish my video camera worked better. Stupid old camera.

Update, after spending 30 minutes looking in the freezing garage, I didn't find it. But I then thought it might be inside in the closet and of course I found it. Now I gotta rearrange my garage floor or at least put it back in a pile ;) more to come. I'll do a how to write up but it's fairly easy to apply tape to a piece of paper.

Ok after a few minutes and a flat head screwdriver I figured it out. Here are the pics of my new quieter rifle.

The deadener worked great. I was going to measure it but after looking at the inside of the gun cutting small pieces was a lot better to make it all fit. Yeah there are some open areas but the sound really did drop a lot. Here are some pics:

Stock

IMG_3198.jpg

Opened gun and sound deadener

IMG_3199.jpg

Both sides done

IMG_3201.jpg

Sitting on top of the gun and barrel

IMG_3203.jpg

Now the gun is a lot quieter. I tested the gun and had my friend shoot it at me. I was about 15 feet away and it made a huge difference. Now when I install my tightbore I will line the inside of the outer barrel with it also. Might not need a silencer if this works.

Archived