The Complete APS 2/96 Thread

The Chef

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok here's a odd question for you. I bought a spring from evike.com which will give my gun 500+ fps. So I install it with all the new gear I have and it barely fires over 450. So I finally took it apart to look at the piston and cylinder and they are just fine. But then when I took off the head the spring pushed the top of the cylinder out of my hand so it has tons of tension on it. Then after removing it I nocticed that the spring wasn't near the shape of a normal spring. Instead of being straight, it was now looking like a worm. What happened? The stock piston won't accept anything except the UTG spring.

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id=28035

Well ###### they now changed the title of the guns it will fit. It use to say UTG L96 and now it doesn't. POOP!!!!!

I hate companies that do this. Anyways played a game on Saturday night, no flashlights and semi auto's only. Very boring when you can't see 10 feet in front of your face.

It still says Maruzen Type96/APS2. The UTG L96 uses thin T96/APS2 springs so it should be compatible.

Does the spring fit inside the piston all right? Did you replace the spring guide? The stock one is thin and weak.

If you are going for a high power spring in a Chinese L96 you must replace the cylinder too and while there, get a good Laylax spring and a new piston+spring guide.

Minimum shoot to shoot deviation is a must for a sniper gun. You need to have a reliable and consistent spring to achieve this. You expect consistency from a company who thinks a +-10% power deviation is OK or unable to calibrate their machinery properly? It may shoot somewhere between 500-580 FPS, come on! I find this a good sign to stay away.

By the way, L96 springs are longer than VSR springs. Maybe 580 is the VSR output and 500 is the L96 output. The Chinese L96s do 440-480 FPS out of the box. I can imagine that Evike simply repacked the stronger stock UTG L96 springs :D.

Does not fit stock piston. I changed piston, spring guide, zero trigger so it can handle tons of power. Time to find the other spring I bought.....if I can find it.

How can it fit the L96 and VSR? I don't understand that. Has anyone compared any of the L96 springs to each other?

You changed the piston and the spring didn't fit? That is strange. Most aftermarket pistons are made for thich springs not the stock thin one.

IIRC the stock spring I took out from the BAR10 had the same outer diameter as the stock L96 spring. Except the L96 spring was longer. I don't have the springs at hand now to measure them, and I did that upgrade like 4 months ago so I'm not 100% sure, only about 80%.

As for the L96 upgrade. The Zero trigger is required, but a new steel cylinder is required too. The stock alu cylinder is extremely weak and can't really handle even the power of the stock spring. The weakes part is where the cylinder is pressed into the handle boss. It WILL break. A Guarder SP170 broke mine after like 1000 shots.

• 1 month later...

i know there was a review of the APS SR2 back a few pages, but the photos aren't working and it wasn't very detailed.

Does any one have any more info on it?

what parts are compatible with the other APS2? etc

since im planning on ditching my BAR-10 and getting one

Ok I ran into a small problem. I got the Aero Chamber together( very different) and installed into the outer barrel. But once I got it in perfect, attached the mag release, there is a small hump in the hop up that is blocking the mag from going in. I can do one of 2 things,

1. Cut down the small hump on the hop up so it's flush

2. Cut part of the outer barrel so I can slide the inner barrel and hop up down just a few mm's

Which is going to affect the gun worse? I'm thinking the #2 choice is better but wanted to get some expert knowledge.

Ok I made tons of progress. The bucking that comes with the laylax aero chamber is hard so I will use it but there is one problem. How the mag links into the chamber while installed on the barrel will not work so I have to cut out a huge portion of it. I tried to grind it down the base to make it flush but it didn't work. I might have to cut off the entire bottom of the hop up. Anyone else have a UTG with a Aero Chamber?

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all.

I have a type 96 that seems to have developed a feed problem and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Randomly, the rounds will not seat correctly and will get chewed up by the cylinder head. I have 4 different mags and all exhibit the same problem. Sometimes they feed fine, sometimes they are, presumably, picked up badly and jam between the outside of the hop or chassis and the cylinder head.

I have tried - Different weights/types of ammo from .2 to .4, low loaded magazines in case of spring wear, stripping and cleaning the magazines, returning the bolt very slowly/very fast, visual inspection of gun, ensuring all body screws tight, etc.

Rounds that load successfully fire without issue. Hop is on a normal setting, but I don't think the rounds are getting that far.

Mostly these days I'm using the gspec instead, but I have a soft spot for the T96 and would like to get it running again if possible - even if it's just so I can sell it with a clear conscience.

No damage that I can see. Entirely upgraded with PSS2, but has previously been working fine with the same components. My only thought currently is some misalignment, but if it is it's marginal as the bolt still goes home and indeed fires fine when it fires fine (if that makes sense)

• 4 weeks later...

I want to put a threaded barrel cap on my UTG L96, but Airsoft Atlanta says I can't. So I was wondering if anyone has fitted a threaded cap on their L96? I don't feel like spending $125+ on a new outer barrel. I figured something like super glue or teflon tape might work, but I don't want to do something like that and end up ruining something. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know which hopup chamber for the L96 is best? I'm currently comparing the PDI chamber and Hexagon Productions chamber, and I need to know which will give me better range and accuracy. I've heard AMAZING and not-so-amazing things about the PDI chamber, and the only HP chamber I've heard about wasn't drilled properly, rendering it useless. I have access to both, and I need to know which one to buy.

I have Well Warior I, with PDI Hop up chamber - PDI chamber is great because it gets along with AEG barrel. So there is great variety to choose from.

I bought my Hop up from x-fire.org, and they send me 2nd batch PDI Hop up, which has minor flaws with alingment of the two bars. They wobbled so I alligned them properly and put some shims. These mods were made for consistency with high power setup, which shakes the gun a lot.

The problem with setting PDI hop up is the small allen 1 mm key, wich goes into the magazine chamber. So you need to remove m, magazine lock the cylinder into back position, and the use the allen wrench. However, the allen wrench is so small, that it is almost impossible to use it. I put some tape around screwdriver to make handle for that small allen wrench - that did the trick for me.

The PDI has those to bars to allign right/left, but to my current (but short) exp it doesnt work as I expected. I need more time to understand where is the trick.

When you buy PDI for your sniper - try getting SCS into it, cause the stock nub simply s****. Adding SCS needs more mods, cause the PDI window is larger, than standart AEG hop up window.

This will improve consistency (at least in theory) plus it should enable the use of r/l hand bars because of concave shape the SCS gives to the bucking.

If you buy PDI, ask the shop what bars do they have - low, medium or high. LOW is really low, it wont do any good. Get medium hands - I am doing that at moment, or even high.

Thats my share of exp with PDI...

Looking forward to hear aboug Hexagon chambers.

J.J.

• 3 weeks later...

I have Well Warior I, with PDI Hop up chamber - PDI chamber is great because it gets along with AEG barrel. So there is great variety to choose from.

So the PDI hop up chamber will work with any AEG barrel? for instance, I was looking at a 650mm PSG-1 tight bore.

thanks,

Smelson

Yes, PDI hop up uses barrels cut like AEG one's.

PDI carry barrels for original chamber and PDI one, at least at x-fire.org . ;]

However, use AEG extra long barrels with caution. I, myself, also want to enlarge from 509 mm, to something longer. However, according to one guy in my airsoft community, the ratio between inner barrel volume cubic cm and cocked cylinder (space between piston head and cylinder head) volume cubic cm should be 1 to 1,3.

There is a danger of vaccum or smth, when a barrel is too long. PDI has vacuum piston to fight with it. But I head from many forums of long/too long barrel problem when FPS and accuracy falls when too long barrels where installed.

Good luck.

J.J

• 2 weeks later...

My zero trigger failed me. I'd been running it at 620fps for maybe 700 shots and then at ~400fps for some 2000 shots. Last weekend I decided to upgrade back to 600fps, and on the 5th test shot the set pin (spring guide stopper) snapped in half. Now, does anyone have experience on compatibility between this laylax part and the other manufacturers' versions? The sear construction looks different than others, but the set pin seems to be standard design. Can anyone confirm this?

Archived