The Complete APS 2/96 Thread

The Chef

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a quick question:

I have a Warrior L96 that I picked up 2nd hand. It hadn't been used and abused and it shoots pretty well but could be better.

I also have a spare PDI AEG 509mm 6.01 inner barrel, could I do the following:

Buy a PDI L96 hop unit

Fit the 509mm barrel

replace the barrel end cap with a PDI flash hider so it can take the slightly longer than stock new inner barrel.

yeah all that should be okay

if your get the pdi hop,be prepaired to spend alot of time getting it tunned,but once done it can shoot very well.

i hear that the pdi l96 (pdi chamber)barrels work better in the hops and make them easyer to set aswell though they are slightly different from the standard barrels .

Sorry for the double post lads, but seeing as my L96 is looking like it'll get the time devoted to it to sort it out I have a question.

With the internals I have in it

150sp spring,

high pressure piston

upgraded spring guide

etc

from what I've heard it should be hitting near enough to 500fps, yet last time I chrono'd her she was only just getting around 360fps. Was definitly done with .2g so didn't mix up my ammo.

Any ideas on the loss in fps? before the upgrades, with all stock parts + 130spring I was hitting 400fps

Nicoli, with your piston head, did it come with a piece of plastic sticking out(it's called an air brake, i think)? If so, remove the sticking out part and that should raise the FPS a little. Also, make sure all the o-rings on the piston and actually everywhere inside the cylinder are lubed and fitted properly. After that, if it's still not shooting at around at least 480, make sure none of the parts were damaged.

Ok well I want to get one of these rifles but i don't know which brand they all have differences and similarities. Now what one do y'all recommend? I am willing to upgrade it. I want to be able to shoot 550 with .25's, with good groupings at 150 feet. So...

A: What brand do you recommend

B: What upgrades will be necessary to get it to those specs

Any ideas on the loss in fps? before the upgrades, with all stock parts + 130spring I was hitting 400fps

Usual checks...

Push the piston forward in the cylinder with your finger over the nozzle. Can it move?

If it can then your problem is with the cylinder somwhere. Piston seal or cylinder head seal.

Wanna hear something funny?

As part of my relentless programme of experimentation with my own L96 (I began to worry that continually stripping it down would knacker something out) I threw the gun together with no hop-up sleeve and nothing holding the inner barrel in place except the muzzle cap.

It still shot 450fps!

So what's the message there then?

Well, by all means try to locate all sources of air leaks but don't be sidetracked by thinking you might be losing air because the hop sleeve isn't sealed or because the nozzle isn't engaging properly. To lose 150-odd fps you have a big problem rather than a little one.

If there's nothing wrong with the pneunatic system in your gun, my money would be on the spring simply being goosed.

If it is, can I have it? I'm trying to find a 350fps spring for mine and I can't get one anywhere. :(

Well, it really depends. You can get a Maruzen Type 96 which is the original gun all of the clones are based off of. That will run you about $300 give or take. Then you'll be looking to at a bare minimum of $350 into it to make it to 550 safely. Or, you can get a Well/Warrior/UTG L96 and upgrade it from there. Some people take that route because you'll end up saving around $200 or so. You'll want to look into the PDI Hop-Up chamber for the ability to put a large selection of tightbore barrels in your gun. But either way, your looking at $600+ to at least upgrade it to 550 fps. And if you do end up doing that, you won't want to be shooting .25g BB's, they are a little to light. I'd go at least .3g. Good luck!

The Maruzen rifle is the high-end rifle. The build quality is going to be the highest out of all of the clones. They most likely use some sort of pot metal for the parts in a random Chinese factory with most of the clones. With the Maruzen, everything is made in one factory. But I believe the bodies of, at least the UTG/Well, the clones are the same ABS plastic as the Maruzen. But basically, you're getting a high-end rifle made in a well known Japanese factory as opposed to a clone made in some random factory in China where who knows what goes into their guns.

The Maruzen rifle is the high-end rifle. The build quality is going to be the highest out of all of the clones. They most likely use some sort of pot metal for the parts in a random Chinese factory with most of the clones. With the Maruzen, everything is made in one factory. But I believe the bodies of, at least the UTG/Well, the clones are the same ABS plastic as the Maruzen. But basically, you're getting a high-end rifle made in a well known Japanese factory as opposed to a clone made in some random factory in China where who knows what goes into their guns.

Have you ever owned either a Maruzen Type 96 or a Well L96 or, better still, both?

can anyone tell me the build quality difference between the maruzen and its clones?

externals and material quality

It depends really, because a lot of people just replace mostly everything inside the maruzen, and some of the outers as well. The maruzen will be a stronger and more well built gun, but there are all sorts of things you can mod to make the clones more durable. I've seen a clone fallen on by someone twice in a row running full speed, and then target shoot out to 90m. But that's after a lot of modification to the stock parts. The maruzen will probably be externally that strong out of the box. Same goes internally. Really just depends on price range and willingness to either buy drop in parts and go with it, or modify mostly everything yourself taking much time and care.

actually i wanted comparisons by someone who has seen/felt both guns.

sorry i should have been clearer in my post.

the thing is , im about to buy a maruzen and this is mainly because i believe

the external finish and quality of materials/joins ect will be worth the extra.

(i like my guns to 'look' great aswell as shoot great.)

i know that with a warrior or well version i could swap out the internals and get

the same preformance but how much of a gap is there in the material quality and finish

to the overall gun? is it worth paying 300 for the maruzen if these differences

turn out to be minimal?

anyone had a go of both?

I own a UTG...

EDIT: And all of my statements are pretty much common sense.

EDIT EDIT: I'm talking about straight stock UTG's/Well's. Sorry, I should have specified. If you replace parts, then most of the clones can be brought up to the Maruzen's level of quality, even when upgraded. But UTG/Well/BE/etc. makes those snipers as a budget sniper. Some are also made for beginners. They are low price, high FPS snipers. Whereas Maruzen is the exact opposite, high price with lower FPS. But yeah, some of the clones are made very well. Like I said, I own a UTG and I love it. I'm going to upgrade nearly all the internals and it'll basically be like a Maruzen upgraded(with minor differences here and there).

i have owned both. i bought a BE l96 for cheap spare parts.. big mistake

the stock on the maruzen is made of stronger, thicker plastic. it's weight comes from a solid receiver, as well as good plastic, whereas the clones use cheap potmetal and add cement to give it more weight.

also, alot of the parts are not compatible, as they do not fit together right. the maruzen and after-market receivers cannot accommodate a clone bolt handle without major modification. the list grows, but you get the point

according to whom? last i checked, all the clones of the L96 were the same, just with different badges. the only exception i have heard of is UTG shipping theirs with a tighter bore

-edit-

i should correct myself... the one i had was a TSD one, but the box said BE... so i'm not sure which to believe... either way it was a pile of junk

Archived