The Complete APS 2/96 Thread

The Chef

Ok, so I installed the KM Heat tightbore and APS 2 Type 96 original rubber into my Mauser ( Well G22 spring ) but there is a little problem - there is nothing to really fix the barrel into the hopup unit. The plastic clip is broken and I can not screw the nut hard enough to fix the new barrel as I could with the old one. Any suggestions?

Bjorn

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys,

Just tried out the mod too the hop up arm for the warrior 1 that Stealthbomber did. Where you file it away a bit so it can accept aeg buckings. And i must say, i am gob smacked on how much of a difference it made! Range and accuracy has increase so much now, and thats jsut using a standard bucking. I'm not 100% sure on distance but i can hit a A4 sized target at about 40 meters (which i think is damn good for a gun with a stock, slightly bent barrel i only missed twice out of a full mag, which i put down too wind) give or take, and that was on a slightly windy day. I cant wait too try it at longer range when its a calm day. But yes, if you're up for it, definatly give it a go!

Thanks Stealth!

HiTE

Well, due to the fact that UTG has absolutely failed at the bipod concept, I lost mine in the woods. Anyone have any suggestions as to good ones for the L96?

I've been confused as to what/where the Q.D. stud is, or if I even have one on my L96. I know, noobish, but I wasn't expecting to be looking around for a bipod this soon. Thanks!

Well, due to the fact that UTG has absolutely failed at the bipod concept, I lost mine in the woods. Anyone have any suggestions as to good ones for the L96?

I've been confused as to what/where the Q.D. stud is, or if I even have one on my L96. I know, noobish, but I wasn't expecting to be looking around for a bipod this soon. Thanks!

king arms spring return bipod. fits right to the stud, which is about 4 inches in front of your magwell. the KA bipod is great quality, cheaper than a harris, and honestly i can't tell the difference between the harris and the KA. i have a harris on my remington 700 and a KA bipod on my mk96.

kingarmsbipod.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have come to learn that there are several versions of the warrior/utg/whoever else l96 guns. So, do you know exactly when it was made? The reason I say this is because people always have disagreements over the internals, and I saw the internals of an earlier utg mk96 that had mostly maruzen parts and a few hybrid and vsr parts (and I've been told that some had welded shut cylinders); my utg is a full maruzen clone with a bit longer barrel. Mine is the newest utg version and it has a 6.04 tbb. Hope that helps, but I doubt it did.

Alright, so I finally got the PDI chamber to work. In the beginning, the Systema hop bucking was giving me trouble when getting it in. There's a little hole in the bucking itself from excess friction inside the chamber. This is located near the end where you physically put the barrel in. Will this absolutely ruin all chances of me getting a successful hop on the BB's? The BB's are pretty consistent in straightness but they dramatically drop about 75ft(about 22m). I can hit a target at 100ft(around 30m) but I have to lob it extremely. I need to work on it.

Alright, so I finally got the PDI chamber to work. In the beginning, the Systema hop bucking was giving me trouble when getting it in. There's a little hole in the bucking itself from excess friction inside the chamber. This is located near the end where you physically put the barrel in. Will this absolutely ruin all chances of me getting a successful hop on the BB's? The BB's are pretty consistent in straightness but they dramatically drop about 75ft(about 22m). I can hit a target at 100ft(around 30m) but I have to lob it extremely. I need to work on it.

i kind of have the same problem, though i still have my totally stock UTG mk96 rifle, which is most likely the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay everyone, I need some help pretty desperately. I got a new bucking because when I actually installed the PDI hop chamber correctly, which I didn't do before, the Systema was way too soft and allowed way too much hop to be applied. So, I got the Prometheus hard bucking. So when I first got it in, I thought my problems were solved. I installed it, took about 5 shots, and all of them consistently dropped. I wanted that because that showed that no hop was being applied and everything was how it should work. Well, a week later I'm finally finding time to mess with the amount of hop and everything. I first get it out and the first 3 shots went practically straight up. That really got me p'oed because I thought the same problem was happening as with the Systema. I took some more shots and finally I got about a 10 shot string of BB's going straight down. So maybe the bucking needed bedding, who knows? So, I'm adjusting everything and everything's going nice and dandy. I got to a point where I was getting about 3/5 shots hitting a torso sized target at about 30m. Nothing impressive, I know, but I was still in the process of adjusting it. Then, after I made about a 1/4 of a turn on both screws of the PDI, everything that I shot was flying straight up. I let back a little on the hop and still, everything was flying up. I finally reset the damn thing back to where no hop should have been applied and still, everything was flying straight up. Has anybody else had this problem? I've heard the PDI chamber was a b*tch to adjust, but I never thought it would be this hard. Would you guys just say screw it and order another chamber since mine came without the actual part that applied the hop? I have no clue what to do and I've got a game tomorrow. I really don't want to look like a fool :lol:. Thanks everyone.

P.S. - I can't find the "repair kit" for the hop chamber in stock anywhere, which is why I say just order a new one.

:( This rifle is going to be the end of me. ARGH!!!

Get the repair kit straight from X-fire. They only cost about $10 after conversion, so its worth picking up two or three.

As for the hop unit, well I bought a set of high-hop arms and using them in conjunction with a Laylax Red hard-hop rubber and bucking, I get very consistent hop. But, and this is the different part, I am using an old PDI hop unit (brass, with a single hop arm). I personally believe these are much better than the two arm design.

To that end, I would suggest you buy a Laylax Aero chamber if you can find one. They have a single arm design, and I'm positive that they work better than the new ones. No conclusive evidence however, so theres every chance its just personal preference.

Will the Aero Chamber work for the Type 96? They seem to be spec'd for the APS2, which I believe has a different outer barrel diameter. I'm giving up on this with RWAS, I'll probably just pick up one from X-Fire. Thanks Bodgeups! If I can't find an Aero Chamber, I might just mod my current chamber to be a one arm hop system, which I've heard is fairly easy to do. I'll look for the Laylax hard-hop bucking, got any links mayhaps?

Hello

I recently bought a well l96 rifle.

Im pretty happy about it, but it needs some upgrades aswell.

I would like to fit a PDI 6,01 barrel in it, but im not sure about whay length the barrel should be, and if it fit the original hop-up.

Do i need to buy a new hop-up? And should i buy a new one? Does it make a big difference?

(buying from trinity)

Hi guys have a Well L96 no real problems with it chrono around the 470 mark stock at the moment but have read the full thread and want to ask just for confermation that i can fit APS parts for there l96 straight into my well eg hop up cylinder piston ect and if i fit there hopcan i just add a tighter barrell?.Also after reading adout various problems with hop up units which is the most reliable and easiest to work on as i am new to internals

Well, as for the hop, your basically stuck with two pretty mediocre ones, the PDI and the original. The only advantage of the PDI is the fact you can fit all AEG parts. The UTG/Well L96 will fit all Type 96 parts, I have physically done it myself, as have one or two others on here.

Now, on that note, when I got my little package of the cylinder, spring guide, spring, etc., I quickly checked to make sure that I could fit the original handle on the new cylinder. When I unscrewed the back screw, I must have hit something because when I attempted to put the original cylindar back on, the bolt handle would not budge down. I took it apart and all of a sudden the metal tube that pushes the tube in the bolt handle itself flew out. I didn't notice it at first, so when I put everything back together, it went fine. Then I realized that there was almost no resistence when I pushed the handle up to cock the cylinder. Now, I think I put something in the wrong way because now I can't fit the piece that flew out back in. It works without it, but I was wondering if this is necessary at some point?

Hey guys,

Just tried out the mod too the hop up arm for the warrior 1 that Stealthbomber did. Where you file it away a bit so it can accept aeg buckings. And i must say, i am gob smacked on how much of a difference it made! Range and accuracy has increase so much now, and thats jsut using a standard bucking. I'm not 100% sure on distance but i can hit a A4 sized target at about 40 meters (which i think is damn good for a gun with a stock, slightly bent barrel i only missed twice out of a full mag, which i put down too wind) give or take, and that was on a slightly windy day. I cant wait too try it at longer range when its a calm day. But yes, if you're up for it, definatly give it a go!

Thanks Stealth!

HiTE

Whoops. Only just read this. Glad it worked for you. :)

The only thing I'd add, if I didn't already (I forget these things) is that a normal AEG bucking is more forgiving that a fishbone bucking.

I've tried both and, TBH, I haven't seen any benefit from a properly working fishbone bucking but, if it's NOT fitted perfectly, it can cause the BBs to veer one way or the other.

By contrast, if you bung a normal tubular bucking in there it seems to perform as well as a fishbone bucking but is much more forgiving with regard to fitment.

Basically, I'd suggest you try it with a normal bucking first just to get the feel-good factor from knowing that the upgrade was worth doing and then try a fishbone bucking. If that causes problems, go back to the normal bucking.

hello i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get a type 96 bolt assembly so as i could have two interchangable bolts one for target shooting and one for skirmishing as i love my type 96 and cannot justify spending money on the same rifle again and it would be a simple case of sliding one bolt out and the other in again without the need to unscrew cylinders and bolts. thanks in advance.

Archived