G&G L85 broken

sniper vinny

Just something that popped into my mind: Is there a way to straight replace the GnG gearbox with a TM V6? I'm sure some work should be done to fix the gearbox inside the body, but would it actually fit? I'm thinking of getting one and using it as a "metal upgrade kit" for my current L85 internals. I don't care about losing semi auto, but I don't want to dermel away a massive amount of metal.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marui parts do fit straight into these as I did the same to a team mates L85, while i was doing it i decided it would be a good idea for me to change over a few parts in my STAR L85.

Once I am home I will let you know which parts will fit as I still have the packages left over from the job.

On another note, did you know G&G refused to allow a private team of QA personel come in and try and sort out the problems they have with thier production and quality issues?These were offered free of charge by a US wholesaler who was fed up of over 70% of thier stock being returned due to failure.

It seems the only reliable G&G was the LR300 as i have had mine for a long while now and still no failure......wheres that peice of wood gone???

Stealth. Try these emails addy's.

allen@guay2.com

b2b@guay2.com

These are the ones I have had the most response from. FarEast, that would be great if you can find out about the parts.

They look pretty similar to V2 gears, but the bevel gear has 5 anti-reversal teeth instead of 2 and the sector gear has some slightly different cams on it.

LJ. despite the reliability problems, I still think this is a great gun (obviously that opinion will fade pretty fast if I cant get it skirmishable), the look and feel of the thing is ver very good. If only they stuck to a tried and tested gearbox that doesnt break.

Or just post it here rather than searching through all thier FAQ's (its buried pretty deep.

ATTENTION --about email servers

Email servers in the US, and from time to time even in Europe, have a tendency to sometimes reject emails out of Asia.

Due to the large amount of spam coming out of this region, many server administrators decide to just block out the whole Asian area.

Usually when this occurs the sending party never gets notified that the receiving party never got his/her email.

Please be aware that this is happening all the time to all businesses between Asia and the USA / Europe and that this could be the reason why you do not receive emails we have sent you. We are NOT ignoring you. At G&G, we always

try our best to communicate with our customers

If you suspect this happening to you just email us again and we will use one of our GMAIL backup accounts to answer you. Thanks for showing understanding.

I should point out that all replacement pistons I recieved from G+G for the L85 have been made with the 2nd piston tooth missing !

it might be worth removing the 2nd tooth on any normal pistons the same way you would with high ROF guns .

I had a problem with a lot of thier emails going missing but the ones that did get through were replies sent within a few hours of my email .

I got annoyed as i couldn't get a response only to find out that 3 emails had gone walkies and my package was already in customs (UK) waiting to be delivered to me .

this is obviously not a problem with thier customer service but more the email client.

Just checked the review thread with pics about the gearbox. It seems the motor would not fit, because it is rotated 90 degrees compared to the V6 (P90). It seems I would need to cut the 2 "windows" into the metal body (YAY).

If anyone feels like selling the external for a discount price, I would go for it. The gun doesn't need to work, nor come with any internal, like gearbox, hopup, barrel :D .

Well, the piston they sent me with the second tooth missing was promptly chewed up, ripped it clean off at the first tooth.

I had the old piston still lurking around and in good order so I replaced that back in and tried again.....

I am now minus the piston and another set of gears.....

Thats 3 times its gone south, all within the space of a hi-cap mag.

Personally.... and I say this as a personal opinion. DO NOT BUY this weapon until all the gearbox issues have been ironed out.

When this is completed, by all means get one as the body work etc is just sublime. The gearbox reliability is the only thing that lets this gun down. And its a big thing.

Not managed to use mine in a skirmish yet and I've had it nearly a month.

post-7631-1164646529_thumb.jpg

Which tooth is the 2nd one anyway? I assume it's second from the front, cos second from back would just be silly. Then again so would using a piston with less teeth than your sector gear or claiming your guns have such good air seals they break at the slightest jam...

So G&G think that weakening the piston by putting all the initial force through one tooth when it should be going through two is a good idea to stop the pistons breaking because the gears are too small/ in the wrong place. Thats a stroke of genius right there <_< .

it is a common thing for upgraded aegs and after market pistons to have that tooth missing as it eliminates a lot of the probloems caused by high ROF and high tension springs

ask any Minimi gunner ;)

to be fair since I took out the small spring under the piston follower (because the protection plate i installed dislodged one and it fell into the path of the sector gear) the gearbox has been sweet as !

Saturday it got really thraped and still continued to fire and mine is still firing the stock spring.

it is a common thing for upgraded aegs and after market pistons to have that tooth missing as it eliminates a lot of the probloems caused by high ROF and high tension springs

ask any Minimi gunner ;)

Most of the minimi gunners I know would say "I didn't know it had a mouth" if I asked them if they'd taken a tooth out. :P

I can't actually see how its a good thing though. IF the gears were spinning fast enough to catch the second tooth then removing the second tooth would just make the sector gear slam into the first tooth, which then has to wait longer for additional support from the second tooth, because its now were the third tooth should be, ergo it breaks just like the chefs.

Unless its Magnets.

When you do not get a reply, ask them to use their Gmail account. Reason why? see faq  @ www.guay2.com

Hehe... you guys crack me up. <_<

I GET the automated "Your email has been received and..." message from G&G so they can't really then say that I'm not getting their replies because a server problem.

Think about it. :rolleyes:;)

FWIW, when I do finally get in regular contact with somebody from G&G I think I'm going to stick the entire f**king gearbox in a jiffy bag and send it back to them with instructions not to bother returning it until they can make it shoot, ooooh, let's say 20,000 shots without a failure.

Cazboab: Removing or shortening the second tooth indeed seems to prolong piston life during high speed setups. Don't ask me for an explanation but it works and a lot of professional upgraders use this trick for high speed setups.

-Sale

No I don't own one. I only tested one pretty briefly.

I would imagine it's irrelevant if that unit is still working, because it won't help others who have broken units. It seems that they haven't done anything wrong, some of the units are just lemons.

-Sale

I would imagine it's irrelevant if that unit is still working, because it won't help others who have broken units. It seems that they haven't done anything wrong, some of the units are just lemons.

-Sale

No worries.

I just recall you talking about them when they first came out and it seemed like you were familiar with the gun so I was wondering how you were getting on with it. :)

Well, this is the response I have had from G&G

We have seen your picture regarding the piston and gear problem.

We find the problem is caused by using 9.6v battery.

Normal situation ,the l85A1 should use 8.4V battery.

Because the original spring is around M100,if you use 9.6V battery the pistonwill move too fast.

Then it will tear the piston.

So it appears that a 9.6v battery is the cause.... strange, because all my other guns (M100 springs) run perfectly happy on a 9.6 and have done so since day one.

And why, also, do Sanyo make a 9.6v battery specifically for the G&G L85 if it is known that this will wreck the gearbox in the blink of an eye??

Why cant they just say, sorry guys this was a bit rushed, its not working properly sorry for any inconvenience. We'll make the gears out of something other than amazing exploding metal.

Just out of interest, what batteries are people running and have you had any failures yet?

Me, 9.6v, 3x failures within the space of 1 hi-cap mag (I jest not).

The Chef: To be honest if they specify that the gun can only use 8.4 V batteries, it's your fault if you break it. Even if other guns can take it. It doesn't matter what third party makes 9.6 V batteries for it, because the manufacturer advises against using them.

Not to defend the obvious problems with this gun, but still if they say 8.4 V, that's what you should use if you're going to call it faulty.

-Sale

Sale, their advice on the 8.4 is somewhat after the fact.... I havent seen any warnings that you shouldnt use a 9.6v. Even the manual only makes a 'recommendation' of using a 8.4 1800mah Ni-Cad. Oh well, its all a bit late now.

I shall be dismantling my battery and taking a cell out for when the replacement parts arrive.

I wait with trepidation to see if it still in one peice after a few hundreds rounds with the 8.4. Oh well. Time will tell I suppose.

I shall pass judgement then.

Archived