MooCow

would you consider yourself to be milsim? read first post first  

43 members have voted

1. 1. would you consider yourself to be milsim? read first post first

• yes
    • no
    • depends on the game/site
    • hell no i do it the gaming way!

only vote if you've been sniping for at least 9months (why 9 months? because it DOES take a long while to settle to become a 'proper' sniper and once you've settled the playing style, you need to settle on your kit/gear and your own way to sniping in game)

but dont let me stop you from posting your opinions in the thread.

this is just pure curiosity as i've never, im my experience in the airsoft world. met more than 3 milsim snipers. and i've been 'softing since i was a wee kid around 15-16 back in hong kong. im now 22

i mean i'd say i'm FAR FAR FAR from being milsim. as i've never had the need or the want to have a gucci vest and skirmish with it. (not only i dont get the appeal, i also cant afford it) and i dont go for the low/mid caps before i turned to a full time sniper. i've had a fair experience in normal AEGs to know how to be a cannon fodder too. by all means this isnt a thread to say we am teh betterer than any other kinds of softers. i just want to know if you guys consider yourself as milsim. (this doesnt have to be a good or a bad thing. just a friggin hobby.)

so are there anyone out there that only loads 5-6 rounds or maybe 10 rounds in your sniper rifle in each mag?

does anyone HAVE to have a spotter for them?

are there anyone that airsoft like i do? going completely out of the box sometimes and airsoft gaming style?

I would, while im an urban sniper, i use vn reals in my spr mod12 and have a spotter.

Ive been doing this for about a year now, and its a comfortable role for us.

on most occasions, we will hit, and dissapear, and move round the site tormenting the opfor, but sometimes when needed, we can hold an enemy off an area or provide area domination. other players generally see me and my spotter at game on, and endex :)

and jimmy, your dolphin diving with the vsr is phsycotic :P

come to the finmere site and i'll show you a bolt action with alot of agility and mental unstability will be just as effective as any AEG in a semi only game.

in auto. just keep moving and keep sniping. just... yeah... dolphin dive. (jump and prone in mid air)

darkchild, some people tend to go in them longer woodland games to ghillie up, camp a certain area to do whatever they do and keep on the radio to the main squad. that just didnt tickle my fancy. :P

i prefer using a sniper rifle and gaming in real life.

thats what im talking about, a sniper will switch to his assault rifle as soon his primary stops being an effective asset (about 300-400m). So sneaking about with a sniper rifle in woodland terrain in airsoft can never be milsim.

I understand the appeal of stalking in a ghillie suit, sitting in OPs reporting troop movements etc (im currently in sniper training myself) and im not trying to insult anyone who enjoys that aspect. Im merely saying that you cant be a "milsim" airsoft sniper.

Darkchild

just misunderstood :)

well some people insult my style of airsofting when i feel like im 'up for it' i just go gaming style. it's very much fun and that's how i've taken airsoft from the beginning anyway. pure fun, not taking it serious.

this whole serious business stuff online just makes me lol sometimes but yeah... come on snipers! there're plenty of you out there in this forum... VOTE VOTE VOTE!

thats what im talking about, a sniper will switch to his assault rifle as soon his primary stops being an effective asset (about 300-400m).  So sneaking about with a sniper rifle in woodland terrain in airsoft can never be milsim.

I understand the appeal of stalking in a ghillie suit, sitting in OPs reporting troop movements etc (im currently in sniper training myself) and im not trying to insult anyone who enjoys that aspect.  Im merely saying that you cant be a "milsim" airsoft sniper.

agreed.

and "milsim" people are by far the easiest to hunt down and kill, once you have the understanding of basic military tactics, you can be two or three steps ahead of your opponents.

unless you are one of the crappy "setup camp and wait for a day for someone to walk through your crosshairs" snipers, Airsoft sniping is 50% hunting and 50% being smarter than your prey.

I'd like to be more "milsim" but you rarely find a situation that calls for it.

If 2 teams start off at opposite ends of a field and 1 attacks the other then there's not much call for a snipers except the ability to lay down fire beyond the range of an AEG.

Sad but, in my experience, true.

I view it as an EXTREME SPORT. Similar to hunting bunnies with an airgun in many ways. Shooting is a low part of my game and fieldcraft along with tactics make up the bulk of the game.

It is not like MILITARY SNIPING in so many ways espescially the ranges involved. I do not make the mistake anymore of confusing 2 different activities with similar looking equipment.

The art of the game, is getting close enough for a good shot and dissappearing again before anyone realises what is going on. Much of my own game is following people till I am close enough for a clear shot with odds on of hitting. This is not MIL SIM. Many sniper courses can penalise you for shooting from within 400m :blink:

Airsoft rifles are not perfect or high prescision due to the random factor of HOP with lightweight pellets/low power. Minute gusts of crosswind can cost you, on longer ranged shots. Far amplified over what wind does to a real bullet's flight path.

If you think practical and forget any dreams you may have of watching Tom Beringer's "SNIPER" (poor film btw)..... you will have an edge over MIL SIM types. In this game every edge you can get all combines to give you a higher chance of success.

Think Practical. Carry as little as possible for the biggest edge in stealth you can get. Be unpredictable to keep up a good tally and haunt different areas each game.

If a place looks like a great position to "snipe" from then don't go there all game.

Good Hunting ;)

Gaming way.

I do what works at my site, that said when go to different sites i use the first game to try and get a feel to see what the day will be like (if its a first time on the site) if ive been before i can kind of guess how the day is going to go.

I NEVER only put 5 or 6 bb's in my mag, always the full 29/30 rounds because at the end of the day you need it most of the time. while the hit to miss ratio can get rather high at times theres also alot of 'damn just missed' and if needing to reload you are out, well that would be rather anoying.

I have a spotter which is either carrying an aeg, or just recently bought himself an Gspec again, so now its more 2 snipers working together, both use the same back up pistol so sharing mags etc isnt a problem.

what i define by 'gaming way' is basically imagining myself playing a computer game. i'm sure some of you know what 'dolphin diving' is. i dont do it all the time purely beause i have my expensive mobile on me all the time and my vsr might break if i land wrong. basically it's jumping in mid air, while air-bourne, go in the prone position, hence the dolphin diving type thing but not pointing the barrel to the floor to dive back down again. just lay flat and shoot.

basically i take the gaming techniques on to airsoft sniping sometimes. it works pretty well and as the bushman have said. do what's least unexpected. sniping is very much about not letting them know what you're gonna do next or where you'll be next. being unpredictable.

sometimes you'll get annihlated for trying to pull off some fancy gaming moves but still. i do it because i see airsoft shouldnt be taken so seriously as some people do. but then again. personal preference. some people like it, some people dont.

i just wanted to know who else snipe the gaming style. and since 8 people voted for that, and i was one. who're the other 7?

imo, games are so different you cant just generalize it as gaming style or not. for instance, in DoD and to a lesser extent the battlefield series of games snipers rarely jump prone through the air, and they generaly just stick to a nice spot where they can camp and snipe enemies that get in their sites.

also i wouldnt call jumping into the air and going into a prone position 'dolphin diving', because after seeing dolphins up close, most of the time they go nose first into the water, where as a person doing it above ground, unless you are trying to go face first into the ground, its not realy dolphin diving, more like a belly flop, or just 'diving'

also, no offense, but some times people dont take airsoft seriously enough and there are ppl who just act like twats by doing stupid things theyve seen in games/movies which ruins the atmosphere for others who do take it a bit more seriously.

As long as you aren't using Jude Law's daft "cockney Russian" accent

fortunately not. Wouldnt mind using Rachel Weiss though. *cough*.

More Ed Harris for me.

I am definitely not milsim. despite my loadouts and operating proceedures I dont carry the 'sniper' role out as traditionally as some would like.

I am the teams target reconnaisance and marksman. This usually involes me taking the rifle (and a suitable back-up, stack of grenades) to plot enemy movements, engage targets of oportunity and harrass flanks and cause diversions and distractions.

This requires me to be fast, and invisible. So I have a lightweight ghillie (should it be needed) and not much else.

The game scenario will dictate my operating proceedure, small games, will have me with no ghillie so speed is of the essence, allowing me to change positions as quickly as possible, being seen is no big issue, because I just ex-fil and move somewhere else, possibly drawing pursuers into an ambush.

Long games, the ghillie can come out and I can embed myself in enemy positions and report movements. Taking the odd pot-shot if the situation arises.

I am definitely not milsim. despite my loadouts and operating proceedures I dont carry the 'sniper' role out as traditionally as some would like.

you then went on to describe pretty much exactly what a real sniper does on the battlefield. You are more milsim then you think.

Darkchild

All i take is my rifle, 2 mags, a sidearm and camo. I definately cant b bothered with massive ghille loadouts and drag bags n stuff. IMO they just slow you down. I play much more the scout/recon roll than anything else, shoot and relocate, much more interesting than setting up camp and having a cup of tea. As for actual style, definately gaming! "z0mg t3h dolph1n divin6 l337 h4x0r" etc. :D

Archived