Prometheus

Which one should I get?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should I get?

• Microsft Zune
    • Apple Ipod
    • Other (describe in thread)

Hey all,

Well, my ipod photo keeled over a couple of weeks ago and I've been saving money up for a new ipod video. Thing is, I've just heard about the new Microsoft Zune. Now I have a conflict that I need to resolve.

The Essay

The Zune is Microsofts answer to the emensely popular Apple Ipod, which was of course realeased some five or six years ago to great applause. The Zune is priced the same as the Ipod Video, at $250 US dollars, and sports mostly all the same features as its Apple counterpart. However it does not have a strong infrastructer to match the Apple Itunes store. However, according to PC magazine, you can simply import Itunes songs to your library and use them in your Zune as it supports AAC audio, which is the format that Itunes sells its media in.

The Zune has some features that seem to out-do the Ipod. For example the Zune has a 3" screen versus the 2.5" screen on the Ipod. It also lets your share your music and photos with other Zune users versus a wireless transmitter which is built in. The share is however limited to three days, or three plays, whichever comes first. After the time or plays is up, the song is deleted from the Zune unless it is bought from the Zune store.

Also, I have personally picked one up at a local electronics retaliler and it feels solid as a rock to me. It comes in three colors, white, black, and brown (which doesn't look that good to be frank) and is covered in a non-scratch coating. The video that plays in the screen is amazing to mee. It is not choppy or blurry in any way.

My Thoughts

I am personally blown away by the Zune and think it will be my next purchase as far as MP3 players go. Many people have brought to my attention the fact that the Zune store doesn't have podcasts and doesn't have the wide selection that Itunes currently offers. However, if you do you homework as I have, you note that the Zune plays most major audio formats, including AAC. So I could simply just import the itune's content and it would work.

I am just looking for reassurance in my thoughts. Many people don't trust Microsoft that much, or belittle it as a company that is run like a McDonalds. I personally have had all of my Apple devices break on me, whereas I have never had a Microsoft device, operating system, or other item break or breakdown on me (with the exception of the Blue Screen of death and such.) Microsot has always come through with me, and with my ipod suddenly and without warning dying on me in the middle of a song and not being able to revive it, I think its time to give microsoft a shot.

Other special features include:

Zune pass (all you can eat type acces to Zune music store)

FM Tuner

Preloaded content from major lables such as EMI

Your thoughts or Opinions?

~Prometheus.

(Also: The Zune is not yet released in Britian, but is set for some time in 2007)

External Link:

Zune Review by PC Magazine:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2054203,00.asp

Zune Pictures @ PC Magazine.com:

Zune Pics

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I very much so enjoy my Zen Vision:M. Great battery life (4 hrs video, 15-20 audio), no problems yet, $230 price tag when i got mine, and it's compatible with about everything i've tried so far. I have a few personal beefs with ipods and apple (don't drill me on this, i just do) and can't comment on the Zune.

Archos AV 500 (60 Gig Version) FTW!!!

Bought it last christmas for £300 and I know it was cheaper in the states. I imaging it is available for about $300-$400 over there. It is amazing! Does everything the Ipod, Zen Vision M and Zune do.

Here's the lowdown on it:

4 inch screen

60 Gig capacity (Also available in 30 and 80)

Changeable Backgrounds to any picture you put on the device

Picture Viewer

AVI, Mpeg player

MP3 Player

Digital VCR

TV 'Pod' + Remote (Links to TV and other devices for input and output) as standard

Also serves as a portable hard drive

Simple copy and past file transfer (Just as it transferring from one folder to another on windows)

Battery Life of 4.5 Hours playing Video/Viewing Pictures or 20 Hours MP3 (But for £75 you can get the 'super' battery that gives 15 hours video of 45 hours audio)

Built in speaker as well as headphone port

Built in mic

Make your own colour schemes

Thats all I can think of right now.

I have never had a crash or anything on it, its is in my opinion the perfect MP4 player. Way ahead of its time too.

XDA IIs with Windows Mobile 5.0

£80, .. insert any size memory card you want, .. put as many songs on it as you want.

And video's

And pictures

All for £80 ... oh an the screen is miles bigger ... cheap MP3/phone/PDA player huh.

Only problem being that you cant get 10+ gig memory card's......... :blink:

In fact I don't think you can even get 5 gig one's yet

consider getting the creative ZEN Vision, its better I believe than the two MP3 players listed in your voting choice. I was in a simular situation, and I opted for the Zen instead of the other two.

For one, the Zen displaces the most colors when compared to the Ipod and the Zoon. Ipod displaces 65,000 colors, Zune ?, the Zen Vision 262,000 colors. The zen also has more standard features. Also it supports more video format than the Ipod nad the Zune.

Check out cnet for more info, and when mine comes in, I'll post a review.

I tend to favour creative over apple (plus i have issues with apple). And my creative is about 4 years old, and hasnt broken down once. That includes me dropping it down concrete stairs, leaving in my car overnight when it was -5c, and me just being a doofus with it.

But this zune looks tempting.

iRiver are quite good as well.

So all in all, im just saying dont buy an iFriut.

I tend to favour creative over apple (plus i have issues with apple). And my creative is about 4 years old, and hasnt broken down once. That includes me dropping it down concrete stairs, leaving in my car overnight when it was -5c, and me just being a doofus with it.

But this zune looks tempting.

iRiver are quite good as well.

So all in all, im just saying dont buy an iFriut.

It isn't by chance a creative 'Jukebox' is it? If so I am in the same situation.

I have had it for a good 4 years, all the button markings have worn off from so much use. I used it every day for 3 years its been dropped down stairs, on concrete, in puddles short of being hit with a hammer its taken everything. And it still works, not a damn thing wrong with it. PLUS the battery still holds 10 hours of playing power from a 3 hour charge (Originally 15 hours of power per charge).

Creative do make very solid user friendly products.

Ive had a mini that gave up the ghost

Then i had a creative Zen, was alright but abit too big

Then i got the video, and that broke so i got a new video which is still going strong

Ive had soo many breakages but id never go back to creative because i just love the itunes software, if the Zune shop software is free to download and acts as a music player like iTunes ill give that a whirl

If you really want something like the Zune but better, get the Toshiba Gigabit S, it the microsoft Mp3 players are all made by toshiba..

Yes, i considered that first before my Zen. I was planning on that, but they didn't have them at best buy (where i had $320 in store credit after my last one broke. Thank you replacement service :D ) so i went with the zen. The Vision:M is nice, i think there is actually a newer version out right now, the vision W. It's essentially a beefed-up M. Wikipedia has an article on it.

I basically just want something around the price of the iPod and Zune that won't break easily (like my ipod did. only dropped it once to my memory, and that was on grass).

So you say these Zen's are nice and all?

external links?

yes the zen is amazing, I'm getting mine hopfully tonight (common DHL!)

you've answered your own question, i guess its a zune or something else besides an Ipod for the win. Casue if your Ipod broke so easily, why get another 1>?

Archived