Zune Vs. IPod

Prometheus

Which one should I get?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should I get?

• Microsft Zune
    • Apple Ipod
    • Other (describe in thread)

FYI: It's the same basic disign, but LARGER! A larger wide-screen. Which means it will be bigger. And the Creative has 262,144 colors, not anywhere near 2 million or the 200+ like you said. However, those 262+ look every good on my friends.

Pics of the Vision first, then Vision W

creative_vision_1.jpg

8715.jpg

Like I said, it's bigger.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI: It's the same basic disign, but LARGER! A larger wide-screen. Which means it will be bigger. And the Creative has 262,144 colors, not anywhere near 2 million or the 200+ like you said. However, those 262+ look every good on my friends.

Pics of the Vision first, then Vision W

[images removed for bandwidth]

Like I said, it's bigger.

Ah, well I wasn't sure about the number, thanks.

And I would like to have video. I have a lot of Divx movies that I'd like to watch on the go, etc.

Also, I don't mind biggness. Thats one reason I hated the ipod video was because it was so tiny, I could hardly hold it if there was even a hint of moisture on it from sweat or whathaveyou. I have very large hands and I find it hard to hold small things like that.

(I don't mind 256,000 or so color either. Thats a lot of colors and with the bigger screen, I'm sure it won't bother me if some guys suit looks a little bit more green than yellow, etc.)

Can anyone compare the Archos to the ZVW?

• 5 weeks later...

Well, here's an update for those of you who I know were just dying to know what I would end up buying.

[drum roll please]

B000HAVWUA.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37091167_.jpg

Bought one new from Newegg today, with nextday shipping. So you know it will be here in a day or two (which at that time I will start writing an intensive comparision between it and the ipod).

I bought it for $339 + $18 shipping. Total was $358.

I was trying to decide between this and the Creative Zen Vision: W. I opted for this for a couple reasons:

1) The Archos has a cool name and its easier to say

2) 16 million colors versus the 256k that the Zen had (much better screen)

3) Larger harddrive (80gb version versus the 30gb I would have with the Zen)

4) Brushed steel casing versus the plastic Zen

There are other reasons, but they are trivial. I'll do a follow up post on my first impressions when I get it in.

For now though, I'm converting my DVD collection favorites to AVI and sorting my music collection into folders for transfer.

~Prometheus

Nice choice. Archos makes great products. My Archos Recorder 20GB was rocking for a good 5 years without a hitch before I decided to sell it on ebay. I bought it on sale for $150 new at Circuit City then, sold it for $110 5 years later. Not too shabby in the resale department.

My next media player will most likely be an Archos AV700. I don't mind it's size and I like the big screen. Should've jumped on the 100GB version when they were having a $100 rebate a while back. <_<

I think the Archos stuff is brilliant, but it's too big for me atm.

I've got the Ipod video and the Creative Vision M and I would have to say that the Creative is way superior to the Ipod. The Ipod ( I tunes ) software is a pain in the ar$e if you need to change or re-format your pc and the battery life is cr@p. Apple have just done a very good job indeed with thier marketing and people keep falling into the trap!!

I couldnt' agree more.

For my purposes right now, I've chosen the Archos because of its great screen and larger harddrives.

I work at a theater and recently got promoted to working in the Box office. Its great and all, but between the Rushes (times when people come to see the movies) its very slow, and I'm not allowed to leave the box at all. So us box workers have been given special permission to bring homework, books, or *movie players* to pass the time between shows.

I chose the archos because it plays movies so well, and can play direct .VOB files versus having to convert them into .avi files. I'll probably get a CZ vision M after a while as a dedicated music player, but for now, the archos is doing great. Playing all the files I wanted it to and such and they look beatiful on the 4.3" screen.

(the ipod has a 2.5" screen)

~P

well pro, you sound like you are in love with the zune, so why dont you just listen to your impulses and get one.... makes the most sense to me

ONi

:unsure:

Did you actually read the whole thread? He's bought one now.

Yeah, I bought the Archos. Still happy with it, however I'll probably get a Ipod Nano, or an Archos 104 as a dedicated music player. The 504 is too large to just tote around for music. Its definately geared more for the video playback functions. I would like a small little something like the Nano or the 104 to just have in my pocket for those awkward times when you just want to fade out and weren't planning on it.

I'll update in a day or two.

Archived