gas or spring

alastairthegreat

after reading the post which would you pick.  

35 members have voted

1. 1. after reading the post which would you pick.

• hfc vsr-11 gas
    • hdc vsr-11 spring

well ive decided on the hfc vsr, problem is im not sure wether to go with gas or spring.

i would be using it for mucking about mostly so it needs to look good and be reasonably accurate, im not too bothered about how much noise it makes (so long as its not deafening)

the price difference isnt really a problem as long as i can see that its worth the difference.

basically my 2 concerns with getting a gas gun are:

1) too high power, dont wanna hurt my mates

2) too costly on the gas.

id probably be using predator ultra gas, unless theres a better alternative, so if anyone knows roughly how a gas would chrono on that then that would be a real help too.

thanks

ali

both are not cheap.

Gas guns as cheaper to buy than upgrading a spring rifle, but cost alot in the long run and some say they are inconsistent with there power and accuracy.

spring guns are expensive to upgrade, but the only after costs are ammo and the occasional part change.

so overall spring guns are alot cheaper.

gas rifles do have the benefit of no tug on the bolt and are very quiet compared to some spring powered rifles.

the power can be changed on some rifles with the help of PCS and using different gas.

If you can afford to pay out what £10 every say 3 games for gas then ammo ontop, then id say go for gas.

if not, spring

The HFC will take green (read propane) no problem, so cost wise, its not all that expensive.

Its not as consistent as a spring rifle.

basically I have transferred the gas bolt from a HFC and stuck it in my VSR. there is a noticable consistency difference between my teflon cylinder and the gas cylinder.

I shall get some definitive numbers once I have got my hands on some more ammo.

But still, I say, get the gas one, and then just buy the snacky upgrade parts to convert it to spring powered as and when you need to.

Best of both worlds.

From what ive read, they are completely compatable with TM after market parts, if i where you, i would buy a laylax 6.03mm barrel, and nineball hop rubber first. that way you have the accuracy side of things covered. FPS will be raised ever so slightly with these parts, but the accuracy will change quite dramaticly.

if you are after higher fps, then many other parts are needed.

if going to 328, nothing else is needed to get power, as a new spring will take you over that.

pads for the cylinder head will make the rifle quieter but theres no point in having them if you are not intending to remove the plates on the piston giving the shock, as that alone creates a small amount of noise.

these are the only internal upgrades really needed at 328fps, the rest are cosmetic and are down to personal prefference.

Definately spring IMO. I cant be doing with the diminuishing power and cost of gas.

As far as upgrades go, concentrate on accuracy. Removing the shock weights will give you a considerable boost in fps, up to around the mid 300s, for no cost! All you need then is some barrel spacers and a tightbore and youve got a great gun for messing around with!

And if, later on, you decide you want to turn it into a more serious sniper it couldnt be easier to upgrade!

after owning a gas AICS ... i would rather have a springer ...

actually i may have figured out whats wrong with yours, apparently there are "low power" L96's around, ment for import into japan, its possible that you got one.

Still trying to sort what is different between the versions, pretty sure its a small obstruction inside the nozzle

.. so i coulda got a duff rifle ... not what id expect to get from WGC spendin close to 400 on it ...

shine a light in the gas feedy part of the bolt and look down the nozzle, if there's an obstruction in there, your going to have to try to drill it out, or get the BGS nozzle set.

ouch, loosing part of a mag, that sux, especialy with the price they sell for. Not sure what part your talking about as i havnt taken my mag apart, but could the part be replaced with one of them plunger kits or something? if so, may be cheaper to buy a plunger kit then a whole new mag.

• 3 months later...

ok basicly if you have the problem with gas costing alot then..get a ai adapter from canada....ive heard from people that it is REALY worth it...£6.50 will last around 50 full mags from my mates sig...and a £10 ''green gas'' bottle from a airsoft shop will last about 15-20

note:propane IS green gas scientificly proven :) pm me if you want to know the adress from where to get the adapter from...and also you can get propane bottles from loads of places like B&Q plummers shop...etc....and the propane adapter is only $40 usd including ultra light silicone oil

Archived