ClassicArmy M15a4Carbine

Heres my own opinion and my own review of the CA M15a4Carbine (sliding stock)

Oh no.... Not another Armalite fan..

Yeah it's true.. I used to chuck eggs off Armalites/Colts blah blah whatever you call them (Don't know nothing about the real steel so don't bother flaming me for calling it other than what it was based on) I used to HATE them, but over the years when got into airsoft more and more, the more I saw M4s, M16s and the like.. They started to grow on me, just when I promised myself I would spend no more on Airsoft, I bought a M15a4carbine from a2shop.. Nice.... Well, on with the review..

ResizeofCIMG6717.jpg

Box? Let's have a look..

I was expecting a old fashioned brown cardboard box. with bubblewrap inside, like WA boxes (and the TM M733) but no.. I was like a TM box, but not as flashy and not as glossy. Nice one CA :)

ResizeofCIMG6711.jpg

ResizeofCIMG6712.jpgCA M15a4box, not flashy, certainly not scrappy

They even have their website and enquiry address on their boxes. What you get in the box:

The rifle (stock extended to it's fullest)

Hi-cap magazine (as standard, even though I wanted a lowcap..)

Little screw for adjusting front sight)

Nope, no sample bbs like you get from TM guns, but you get some nice leaflets in there:

4-5 fly-poster advertisements

Manual

Catalogue

Battery care sheet

Onto the quality

Yeah I'm sure you've all heard about CA's early makings of the M4s (thats if you searched like me) CA wasn't in a good light, but the release of their M15 series people were more fond of CA as the series are much more improved than their earlier creations.. Thats all I know and I won't try to be clever and chat other sh*t that I don't know of..

Quality - It's excellent, the "fibre-glass" plastic used for the handguard and the stock are superb, absolute quality. They tend to shine quite abit in a flashed photo, which makes it look cheap but I assure you, it's strong and it's so addicting to hold (honestly..)

ResizeofCIMG6720.jpg

"fibre-glass" plastics used for handguard and stock

The receiver - being pot metal - is still very nice, cold to the touch. I would only go as far as that though.. I don't find the receiver too impressive, mainly because you can scratch the damn thing using your nail.. It's too easily scratched, I put the rifle on a concrete floor only to find I've scratched alittle bit of the right receiver.. that's the only bad thing about it, scratches too easily..

ResizeofCIMG6721.jpg

metal receiver, sturdy metal, but scratches too easily (can you see the scratches?)

ResizeofCIMG6722.jpg

right side of receiver

Oops, did I mention unique serial number?

No I didn't.. All of the M15 series have a serial number next to the Armalite logo, unique to each and every M15 from CA. If you look closely, you can see the lasering on the serial number is brighter than the lasering on the Armalite logo and trademarks on the left side receiver.

ResizeofCIMG6725.jpg

receiver markings, notice contrast between logo and serial number: 014132

Back to Quality - Strength

Strong stuff, the outer barrel (which is full metal) is of a wired texture, it reminds me of a certain texture I can't remember.... Hmmm, well anyway. I remember a review praising the strength of the whole outer barrel being so strong you can hold the rifle by the barrel and hang it horizontal, without it flexing one inch

So being the hands-on type of person I am, I did it... and this is the picture:

ResizeofCIMG6727.jpg

omfg omfg!! how strong is that!? c'mon pops let's play "catch" with my car-brine!!

Selector Switch

I remember having a TokyoMarui M4a1BOYs, switching from SEMI to AUTO was alittle struggle, you had to change your grip for your thumb to push the switch all the way to AUTO setting. That was a BOYs though I didn't find it too tough, but since I have a full sized M4, I found this problem even more difficult..

The right side of the gun has no switch, which left handers will certainly find annoying. I don't know why Armalite/Colt didn't bother making a switch on the right side, how hard could it be?

Also, the right side of the selector theres a notch which is supose to move when you move the selector. This is not the case, the right side of the selector is fake and isn't linked to the switch on the left.

ResizeofCIMG6729.jpg

non-moving switch on the right.

PART TWO

Hop-up

If you done your searches, you'd know CA M15 hop ups are said to be weak and pathetic, and that they'd have to be set max for a .2g bb to even go straight (forget it going vertical) I can unfortunately say that this is correct also.. The hop up chamber is found behind the ejector port (which is made of a very shiney metal, totally ruining the look of all the quality materials used on the gun.

ResizeofCIMG6730.jpg

Hop up found behind the ejector port (note crude metal ejector port cover)

ResizeofCIMG6731.jpg

Hop up exposed, no tools needed

Cocking lever/Charging Handle/T-Charging Handle

When I picked up the rifle for the first time the FIRST THING I did was pull the charging handle back to see how realistic the sound is. I've asked this question before on the forums but got only vague replies.

*insert drumroll* *CLLLAAAK CLAAAKK*

*Creams himself* OMFG, the sound of the handle springing back home is pure heaven. Now I know most people don't give a ###### about the charging handle, but I'm a pure realist when it comes to cocking a gun (and ONLY that, part of the reason I bought an M4 was cause of Counter-Strike)

ResizeofCIMG6732.jpg

charging handle pulled all the way back

Carry handle

This is one of the selling points for me, the removable carry handle. Under it is a decent lengthed 20mm RIS rail (which I will mention later) Handle is full metal, same material used for the receiver. Full metal construction, decently heavy. Makes the rifle noticably light when taken off. Sights are adjustable (for elevation and windage)

The RIS rail underneath the handle, is part of the upper receiver, so if you lose the upper receiver you lose the rail.

ResizeofCIMG6736.jpg

carry handle and...

ResizeofCIMG6735.jpg

..RIS rail under it

ResizeofCIMG6737.jpg

G&P aimpoint fitted to RIS

Handguard

As mentioned before, it's made by "fibre-glass" plastic, and totally sturdy as hell. Doesn't squeak one little bit (don't look at me Mr.FAMAS) it's firmly locked in the delta ring.

I've also heard early productions of the M15s the delta rings were so tight you needed a tool of some sort to open the damn delta ring up. Latest productions there is no such issue, it's still quite tight, but not so much that you'll need a tool for.

ResizeofCIMG6740.jpg

handguard halves

ResizeofCIMG6741.jpg

top half removed, notice the 8.4v mini batt under the barrel)

I heard you can fit a 9.4 nunchuck battery straight into the handguard without mods. Since I don't have a 9.4v batt I can't vouch for this. But I tell you this: I can fit two 8.4v mini batteries inside easily. The gun requires 9.4v for the ROF to be on par with TM AEGs. An 8.4v doesn't have enough voltage to power the gears, but it still does the job, although I intend to get a 9.4v soon..

ResizeofCIMG6742.jpg

handguards removed

Before I finish the handguards, I would like to mention the following facts:

- TM handguard hole dimensions are 3mm out to the real steel specs

- CA handguard hole dimensions are identical to the real steel, so any aftermarket rails that bolt onto bottom/top handguard holes will NOT fit the CA handguards, they're designed for the TM handguards.

- CA metal outer barrel dimensions are larger than TM's stock outer barrel, because of this, you cannot bolt a TM M203 (spring version) onto a CA M15.. Shucks..

PART THREE

Outer Barrel

Mentioned earlier, I can't what the texture reminded me of.. But it's all metal, matte black, and has no crude shine. It can't be scratched so easily like the metal used for the receiver.

On the front end is the flashider. Unscrew that and theres your typical Anti-Clockwise (negative -) 14mm thread like on most TM AEGs. Nothing else to mention here.

No downsides to the outer barrel, apart from it's not the same dimensions as the TM M4, so you can't mount TM M203s. Shucks (again..)

ResizeofCIMG6743.jpg

barrel with 14-mm thread, ready to take any silencer, but i just put on a P-90 flash-hider for the hell of it.. :)

Sights

Another peep-hole-front-post thang. Nothing really special, the rear sight has two sights to choose from, a large size and a 'frying pan' lookalike type with a dinky hole in the middle, flipping them up and down changes sights. Notches under the rear sight adjust elevation and right knob adjusts windage. Front sight is adjustable too. I left these well alone, and have never tried to adjust the front sight.

ResizeofCIMG6744.jpg

rear sight one: open sight

ResizeofCIMG6750.jpg

rear sight two: frying-pan-with-little-hole sight

ResizeofCIMG6752.jpg

front sight, notice notch thing on front

High-Cap magazine

Nothing really much to say on this, your typical M4/M16 highcap, wind the thing, insert the thing, reload the thing.

Reliable and doesn't jam, feels just a tad loose when fitted in the gun. Owners say it's loose a ######, not to me it's not, unless you're just a *beep*-detailer..

Light grey in colour, compared to the TM lowcap on the right:

ResizeofCIMG6753.jpg

FIRING

Ooooooo! We're finally there! Firing the gun is straight forward, just like any other AEG. Wind highcap, insert battery and fire. First thing I hear is the loud ###### off motor whirring like a b1tch.. Maybe I was too used to my P-90. But I found the sound to be offputting for such a nice gun. Not like CA could change the sound, afterall it's an AEG. The motor sound is much more louder than a P-90 (and I remember my P-90 firing sound is quite realistic) the muzzle report snaps just as loud as a P-90. Snaps so loud it's like a banger going off.. Attaching a silencer on the front will soften the report. The ROF is around 3/4 the ROF of a P-90 running on a 8.4v. I don't have a 9.6v battery to comment on it's true ROF. Hop up was set on max and made a .2g go exactly straight, flick up just a tad before dropping.

UPGRADES?

Shut up. We all know the Armalite is the most customisable gun there is in the airsoft world. I won't bother listing them all, but will list the ones I would recommend (own preference)

SP M203

QuickDetach silencer variant

G&P/Guarder Aimpoint

Guarder Mil-Dot 4x32 scope

Pistol grips

Stronger hop up unit

ResizeofCIMG6754.jpg

few add on accessories to choose from..

Conclusion

Haven't ONE regret on buying this gun, although I wasn't suppose to buy it in the fricking first place.. Now that I'm in the swarm of Armalite fans, my airsoft addiction has taken to another level. The rifles absolutely rock solid, I can drop it on concrete and it won't fall to pieces. I can use rifle as a batt and hold it by the flash-hider and break a door down with it. The bad thing about it is it's weak hop up unit (which is a straight copy of the TM hop up, which is much stronger) and the feminine receiver. Scratches far too easily, a big let down for me. But that's just cosmetic stuff, I'm sure realists will see this as a turn-on.

I got mine from Airsoft Armoury for £219.99 including shipping (they're my favourite retailer at all times, delivery is NEXT DAY and free for orders over £50. Totally ahead of the competition)

I don't recommend getting ANY CA M15 anywhere else other than AirsoftArmoury, their prices have been reduced for a limited time only, so get yours while you can.

M15a4 series, the only Armalite you'll want to get.

ResizeofCIMG6190.jpg

ResizeofCIMG6193.jpg

CIMG6197.jpg

TaQ

Excellent excellent review! And welcome to the club. :) Especially love that picture of your holding the barrel and extend the gun horizontally. I wonder if the ICS M4 can do this too. ;)

By the way, AA should really pay you for advertising for them. ;)

Also, this

http://www.evike.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...gory_Code=RAILS

fits on my m15a4 just fine.

Edited by Shao14

yeah tac i have a m15 and with the 9.6v battery its ROF is really fast and good, but i like semi so i dont use it alot. Also i like how you can scratch it easily, it makes it worn and more realistic i think.

Also like shao said, welcome to the armalite club.

• 3 weeks later...