Buy Dummy Plates

SlvrDragon50

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAPI-REPLICA-plate-fsb...VQQcmdZViewItem

Large replica SAPI plates. :)

EDIT: arnies seems to redirect to the British Ebay site, which is why the link doesn't work.

This is the guy's store:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/P-Tac-Gear_W0QQsspagenameZL2QQtZkm

Here are the plates:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAPI-REPLICA-plate-f...1QQcmdZViewItem

Or just do an advanced search on ebay.com for seller fn-five-seven.

Most people use cut camping sleeping mat cut to shape for the soft armour. It has very similar thickness & flexibility to the real thing but is cheap & somewhat lighter. I have compared foam & real soft armour in various carrier (CIRAS/RAV/BCS/IBA) and until you pick up the vest you can't tell it's not got real panels in. Sleeping mat foam happily keeps the vest in shape.

Most hard armour plates are 10" x 12" in size regardless of the size of your armour carrier generally only the soft armour dimensions are different. RS hard armour/SAPI measuring 11"x 14" is sometimes used by very large operators but it's unlikely to be make any difference for an airsofter.

Specific vest like the UK CBA use smaller 8" x 10" SAPI although the newer Osprey systems looks like it's primarily designed for US style 10x12's.

Replica SAPI aren't particularly important as you can easily improvise this by putting several layers of corrugated card in the plate pockets instead or more foam. This will add a bit of extra stiffness to the vest without weight.

Fitting real or replica SAPI will also alter the fit of the vest as they also increase the thickness of the vest quite a lot 20mm+ front & back at least which effectively means you will have to loosen the waist adjustment several inches.

Once all replica armour is in place the vest will probably bit a whole lot bulkier & warmer. Uncomfortable in the summer & potentially leading to overheating & heat exhaustion. In the winter you will sweat a lot more & chill when you stop activity, again leading to possible cold injuries.

Just for the curious my CIRAS with replica foam/plates is about 4-5kg unloaded. With the RS armour it's nearer 12-15kg. Happy skirmishing with this on. Then you need a Mich.... Happy Skirmishing. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the thread resurrection here, but instead of making a new thread, I'll ask here:

How do you know what size plate you need? My vest is getting real heavy now because I have so much on it, so I need some plates. Would it be best to just get medium SAPI replica plates?

I have the MOLLE plate carrier from Cheaperthandirt.com. The plate compartments measure ~12'' wide, ~14.5'' tall.

Also, how thick are some of the different brands of plates? I just want a set that will support my vest, I don't care about all the markings and such on them. Thanks for the help!

Archived