behold BRADpat!

darkchild130

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3/4 packet?

as in a sachet?

I have found in NZ only a little tin/pottle thing (for Hot dying) and a multipurpose dye in a small bottle.

any chance of a piccy of the dye/packaging? So I can use it to show some chemists?

Definatly looks better than the ACU. I have no idea why the US switched to ACU. One of the guys I play with bought a hat in ACU and tried wearing it during a game. It stuck out more than another guy's reflective green cycling gloves :P

The greened-out ACU would probably work fairly well around here, esspecially during the spring and fall months.

That's so funky Darkchild :mrt::punk:

I've got 2 sets of ACUs - 1 "TruSpec", and 1 "Bulle", and I never did like the blue-grey colouration of the Bulle ones - the TruSpec always seemed more genuine, having that green tinge.

Anyway, I guess I might give your "BRADPat" idea a go at some point - nice one +1! :D

Si

Some of you may remember i said i would dye some ACUs to get rid of the horrible grey/blueness.

Here's the result (with my GRAW badge attached)

IMGP3227.jpg

Nothing spectacular, just sharing my experimentation.  Result was acheived by using Dylon machine dye and i used about 3/4 of a packet.

Darkchild

It's funny to see this...About a month ago I died a set of Proper ACUs OD as well.

I never thought to post it up here though.

Mine looks about the same, but the pattern doesn't come through quite as much as it does on yours. I "cooked" mine in a giant pot on the stove, which usually yields better results than the washing machine, or sink methods.

I used RIT dye, but they don't produce OD dye. So you have to mix the color yourself.

For anyone who's interested, you can find the "recipe" on the RIT web site on the custom color chart, located in the FAQ section. http://www.ritdye.com/craft_faq.asp

@WEGE: sorry mate i have thrown the packet away. It comes in a little cardboard box with a picture of some OD trousers on the outside, the type is designed for washing machines.

To everybody else: Im happy people liked the idea and i would like to see other examples of BRADpat (i know its a cheeky name :) ) if anyone decides to do it.

Darkchild

righto.. I will try that next time then.

I used a small can.. on some US tri-des (55cotton/45poly)... and bugger me if it has not turned out looking like it has sat in someone's ###### all nite.. >_< I will try to redye this wee thing (I used a ranger cap.. not the whole set!)

Uhh.. would like to point out that NZ was Dylon's 1st Export market. :)

we do have it.. for around. ohhh.. 1 pound a can.. and about 3pounds for a cardboard box/bottle thing.

ta :)

Uhh.. would like to point out that NZ was Dylon's 1st Export market. :)

we do have it.. for around. ohhh.. 1 pound a can.. and about 3pounds for a cardboard box/bottle thing.

ta :)

:lol:

Fair nuff mate, IIRC it's Olive Green # 34 that you should be after, if that helps you get the stuff in a box :)

:geek:

• 4 weeks later...

didnt want to start a new thread so i thought id necromance this one.

I said id post some pics in the field with BRADpat, so here they are (taken at SPECOPS woodland).

Sorry for blurryness, my mate is a muppet.

IMGP3316.jpg

This was the greenest thing i could find to stand near (mid firefight, i might add) as you can see, the cam stands out a bit in the pic, in real life, both the camo and the bush were quite a bit darker.

Personally i think it sucks, but it might work better in the summer, considering most of the British woods look like this at the moment

IMGP3317.jpg

This pic (excusing gormless pose) shows it in better lighting, so you can see its darker than in the other shot.

IMGP3315.jpg

and here's me and my mate Fergy ruining a perfectly good picture of some trees :P

IMGP3318.jpg

My opinion: I think it doesnt really blend in very well but people around me seemed to be more impressed, they said at ranges of 40m+ it really confused the eyes, and it still looked quite good at closer ranges as it seems to blend in really well with the slightest amount of shadow present.

Either way i dont care as its individual and i think its cool :D

Darkchild

I dyed my own set of BRADPAT while I was off last week, a set of BDUs (top & bottom), cap and boonie, along with the whole box of Dylon came out a nice shade :)

My mate made the same comment that it looks like plain OD then you double back and realise it isn't :P

I've got a digicam inbound from fleabay so I might have to take some pictures of mine, I think mine came out a bit darker as there's a greater contrast between the grey velcro and the digital OD ...

I'll be wanting to give my new digicam so I'll definitely be posting pics, the camera isn't anything spectacular but as long as the pictures are in focus it'll do :lol:

While it may not be ideal, I can be quite sure that it'll work a darn sight better than regular ICU :P

New digicam arrived today, after a bit of fluffing around I found the flash :lol:

Not the greatest pic (I'll take some with me wearing it at the weekend when I can do them in daylight :)). Oh, shoved some new DPM on the side to compare with.

++EDIT++

Now I'll actually attach the pic :lol:

post-10130-1167852108_thumb.jpg

Archived